Mom and Chatty Toddler Removed From Flight

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:47 pm
sozobe wrote:
Well, we also have two other passengers' versions (partial)... and we know that the airline is investigating... and we know she wasn't arrested or charged once she was off the plane... and we know that she's willing to make a big deal out of this (which I tend to think she wouldn't if she knew she were in the wrong, but she may be clueless and/or deluded).

We also know that according to the witnesses, the mother did not threaten the stewardess. We don't hear the witnesses say this directly, but when the mother says on GMA that that's what the stewardess told the pilot to make him turn around the plane, the interviewer says something like "but you didn't, we checked this with witnesses."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:13 pm
Oh, that's new to me I think, thanks.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:40 pm
The interviewer was facing away from the camera most of the time. I'm actually impressed you're not missing more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:44 pm
One thing i've noticed about this is that the story is now almost a week old, but there is no new information when i search for it online. I suspect that Continental Express is trying to sit on this, in the hope that it will just blow over. I've have not yet been able to find a public statement by the airline.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:46 pm
Yeah, their silence is kinda stinky.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:47 pm
Sounds plausible. They're damned if they settle, they're damned if they stand up for themselves. And if the mother is telling the truth, they should be.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:54 pm
There are about 2,000 comments about it on MSNBC.com alone ...

I do suppose as well that this is either tried to be sit out or .... the media got what they wanted and don't report anymore.
(Remeber that man who was said to have been left by an Amtrak conductor in the wilderness? The last media report was that he had left hospital after a short check-up and rest for a day. And then nothing since two, three weeks.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:56 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I do suppose as well that this is either tried to be sit out or .... the media got what they wanted and don't report anymore.

Too bad it wasn't Paris Hilton who got grounded ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:57 pm
If it were that pathetic slut, we'd never hear the end of it . . . not mention all the alleged nipple-flashing photos which would be prominently displayed in all the tabloids.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:09 pm
Chai wrote:
Montana wrote:
I think we need a time out Shocked

I do too, or some type of distraction....

oooohhhh....set, ci....look out the window....see the big plane?

say "bye bye plane.....bye bye"

Laughing Laughing Laughing You crack me up, Chai Laughing

Sorry guys, that's just funny Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:36 pm
High Seas wrote:
Manche Menschen wollen immer argumentieren, obwohl sie keine Ahnung haben.

I happen to be on CJ's side in this argument, and disagree with High Seas' posts... but that was funny Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:37 pm
Its also a pretty good summary of the whole damn thread Laughing

<off to sig lines thread..>
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:46 pm
nimh wrote:
High Seas wrote:

I happen to be on CJ's side in this argument, and disagree with High Seas' posts... but that was funny Razz

I might agree if I knew what it meant. Care to translate?

(Deja vu!!) Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:29 pm
ossobuco wrote:
OK. This is what I've been reacting to (with one exception - I was fine with Free Duck's post, which is included).
In the interest of brevity, I've taken out spaces between paragraphs

Thanks for bringing back what was actually written. I've read and now re-read all these posts. I guess I just dont see how you got from those posts, what you succeeded to respond to after Boom's posts - let alone what you then expressed in the next post.

I mean, in 9 out of the 10 posts you quoted, I dont see anyone implying that all of your own experience and empathy is of no use, etc. All that I see most of 'em saying is that there is some part, of course, that one doesnt know about and doesnt find out about until one raise children oneself (one's own or others', of course, I take that to be automatic.)

And I still dont get the resistance to that notion. If you go through some experience, you have an angle on it that someone who hasnt him/herself gone through that experience doesnt have. Doesnt mean that anyone with that experience necessarily is right, or cant still be stupid, or that your input suddenly becomes useless, or that you should stay out of the discussion then, or any such thing -- just that sure, there is something that you cant know about, until its happened to you.

It's funny, it's the same thing you get with those occasional discussions on race. Those also always provoke fiercely antagonistic reactions. You know, when a black person observes that, in the end, bottom line, truth is that there is a certain part of understanding of what it feels like to be black (in america, in these times, as non-immigrant black, etc), that you can only have, well, if you're black. Because no matter how much you or I can study, I dunno, the civil rights movement, or afro-american culture, or the economics of urban poverty, or whatever whichever - and no matter how great our capacity of empathy and understanding is - in the end, we dont know how it really feels because we've never felt it. Something vaguely analogous, perhaps, sure - but not that.

And in a way, the "you dont know man, you werent there" parents have a better case, even, because the black person stating the above is handicapped by the fact that - well - he cant, in the end, know for sure what a white person can all understand about his situation or not, because, well, he in turn isnt white <grins>. Whereas a parent's actually been a non-parent before, so he/she can actually compare.

(Its funny to imagine how posters in this thread would switch sides or not if it were the race discussion - I recall that Set is as ferociously on the side he's now on too, but I think others would switch - in both directions.. But, probly better not to get into that ants' nest.)

I guess people hate nothing as much as being told that there is some level or element of experience that they're excluded from. But I just dont see the problem. Of course there are things I just cannot know - not really know, not know how exactly it feels - about certain experiences, because, well, I didnt have them. Experience does count.

And funnily enough, you made that point yourself. When you were responding to Boom, you wrote that "liv[ing], oh, say, eight decades" counts for something - or should count for something - when it comes to being assumed to understand things. Why would it? Well, because you've had a lot of experiences in those eight decades, experiences that introduced you to realities that I, for example, can read up about, but just dont know how it feels, really - because I havent lived to that length.

Whats the difference between that, and parents saying that they also have had an experience thats introduced them to things, that people who havent raised children just havent experienced? I mean, think about it: an indignant twenty-something year old could take the 'Ive lived for 80 years, so I know some stuff' sentiment, and make all the objections that people have made here against the parent thing. Just having lived through a long time doesnt mean you've necessarily learnt from it, or learned the right thing; there's plenty of older people who are just as ignorant or dogmatic or deluded as any twenty-something; there's young 'uns who are wiser of life than many pensioners are; it's not like age by definition gives you some kind of secret package of truth; just look at [negative example of unwise older person], are you saying he should also be considered to know something unique just because he's old? Etc etc etc.

Which is all true, but also all besides the point. Because the point wouldnt be that older people by definition know better, period - but merely that, yes, of course they have been privy to an experience that a twenty-something just hasnt had - and to some extent, at some level, a 20-something will therefore just not understand what thats like, even if he's really empathic.

So I dunno. I do get the feeling that there's been a lot of responding by association going on in this thread. That some of you are kind of viscerally reacting against what you are reminded of by some of the parents' posts, or against an underlying subtext that you perceive there to be, or against things you associate with the kind of things you read here, rather than against what was actually said. I dunno.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:32 pm
Mame wrote:
I might agree if I knew what it meant. Care to translate?

(Deja vu!!) Laughing

Oh it wouldnt be any use.. you know, as a non-German speaker, you just wouldnt understand! You may think you could understand, but it's only if you do get to speak German yourself, that you understand what it's really like!! :wink:

[size=8][that was a joke..][/size]
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:49 pm
so, what does it translate to?

this whole thread is just too weird for me.

you can click on any page, and people are just saying the exact same thing over and over...using slighty different words, and then arguing about the difference.

does anyone else out there even have trouble reading a post when it gets like this?
I find myself only looking at every 5th word, if that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:51 pm
Chai, I thought somebody would have "killed" it by now. LOL
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:13 pm
see...

I read that as

Chai, kill now...

Like it's a command or something. I'll admit, I'm feeling a certain pull.

If anyone makes another snotty remark, they're going to go down.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:24 pm
nimh wrote:
reacting against what you are reminded of by some of the parents' posts, or against an underlying subtext that you perceive there to be, or against things you associate with the kind of things you read here, rather than against what was actually said.

Nimh, I suspect this
CJane wrote:
What's your point Joe? You don't like kids, good, we can read that in your statement.

following
CJane wrote:
You don't have children, do you, Joe?

set this off on its particularly lively course.

"you don't like kids" doesn't really seem like subtext. Seems like something that was laid out pretty directly.

~~~

Gotta agree with High Seas on the overall feeling that reinforced for me ...

with the focus on the first segment.

~~~

The apparent "you don't have children" = "you don't like children" equation certainly got my back up, whether that was intended or not.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:28 pm
oh for crying out loud...what does that german sentence mean?
0 Replies