The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 04:02 pm
@glitterbag,
You might like this. Not seen it myself but the Horrible Histories team are brilliant.

Quote:
Bill is an upcoming British family adventure-comedy film from the principal performers behind children's TV series Horrible Histories and Yonderland. Produced by Punk Cinema and Cowboy Films for BBC Films, it is scheduled for UK release on 18 September 2015. The film is a fictional take on the young William Shakespeare's search for fame and fortune, as written by Laurence Rickard and Ben Willbond and directed by Richard Bracewell. It will feature the six lead performers playing several different roles each.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f8/Billposter.jpg/220px-Billposter.jpg
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 12:00 am
Not on tv but in a theatre: Satyajit Ray's Pather Panchali. The movie is slow but delivers an emotional punch.

When I returned home, I read what Wiki had to say about it and was surprised that some critics thought the movie "romanticized" poverty. No! The mother of the family found herself sensitized to criticism as she tried to keep her children clothed and fed. Furthermore, she was burdened by the presence of a demented, shirt-tail relative of whom her daughter seemed fond.

The daughter stole fruit from a neighbor's orchard for the elderly relative. Later, we learn that the family gave the orchard to the neighbors as payment for debts.

The father of the family is a dreamer who is not a good provider. Incapable of listening to his wife, who admits she once had dreams of her own, he goes off the city to seek work but fails to write for months while his wife and children become more threadbare and hungry.

I don't think the man lived in the real world and the fight the woman waged for her self-respect and the well-being of her children was heart-breaking.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 06:02 pm
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/AcrossthePacific.jpg
Warner Brothers brought the cast and director of The Maltese Falcon together for another try.
Quote:
Depiction of Japanese characters, although questionable for our standards, may be useful for those who want to study inter-racial relations in 1940s America.

Japanese are portrayed as evil, insidious and utterly alien to American society. Attempts of integration or assimilation are bound to fail, which is suggested with scene in Panamanian cinema featuring Japanese immigrants preferring technically inferior movies from their old country to more glamorous Hollywood.

Moviemaker's skepticism towards individuals overcoming their cultural and racial background is also underlined with the character of Lorenz's henchman Joe Totsuiko (played by Victor Sen Young) who wants to look and sound more American than Americans themselves only to become a caricature; in the final scenes, Doctor Lorenz, who made a great deal of superiority of Oriental culture, fails miserably in his attempt to follow example of his Japanese role models.

This worldview might look unacceptable for most of today's audience, but it is presented very skilfully, which is another reason why ACROSS THE PACIFIC should be seen as something more than simple WW2 propaganda.

It's Bogie so I loved it.
dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 10:51 pm
@panzade,
Bodgy Bogie
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 07:46 am
I started to watch Frances Ha and although I like Noah Baumbach, I could not stand this film. I remember having a conversation with someone about how unbearable it was. Yuck.

I then watched a lefty political film, Ethos, and found that much more acceptable.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 07:58 am
Just saw Fury for the second time. Liked it even more this time. It is such a realistic-seeming slice of life from a World War II tank crew. In the 'extras' section of the DVD, it tells how Brad Pitt and the other 4 actors met and spent time with actual surviving members of a WWII tank crew (they were in their 90s!), and spent 4 days in combat training with navy seals. The realism comes through - not a war film for the squeamish.
panzade

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 09:45 am
@snood,
I saw it in a theater and it was an engrossing movie.
The History channel had an episode on how the scenes inside the tank were shot.
Fascinating stuff
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 02:54 pm
Best film I've seen in a long while was Slow West. Treat yourself.

Jays Theme.
snood

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 06:48 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
could ya give us a little mini critique?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 12:46 pm
@snood,
Oop's there's me thinking no one ever read my posts.

Indie western, I could say Tarantinoesque, i just did.
Great cast with the Kerryman of the moment Michael F assbender leading the way.
Visually supyrb, scenes look almost stage like, but it works.

You could poke a thousand holes in the storyline, historical accuracy etc if you wanted but why bother. It's got humour, action, great cast and nice music.

Dark humour, rubs salt in your wounds, you'll get it.
Great dialogue and a Funny camp fire story.

Kodi Smit McPhee who plays the lovelorn Jay is excellent.

Enjoy Snood.
panzade

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 01:08 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
nice mini
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 01:30 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Thanks, I'll check it out.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 11:41 am
@snood,
Ahh Snood, I just hope you're not toooo disappointed.
snood

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 11:50 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Not likely. Love westerns. will let you know.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 08:01 pm
@snood,
Speaking of Westerns, we watched Silverado this past weekend. Kevin Costner was wonderful as a slap happy cowboy.
snood

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 05:34 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Speaking of Westerns, we watched Silverado this past weekend. Kevin Costner was wonderful as a slap happy cowboy.

Some of My Favorite Western Movies (definitely in no order of preference):
True Grit - the original one with John Wayne and Kim Darby
The Cowboys
Open Range
3:10 to Yuma - the remake with Russell Crowe
The Unforgiven
Tombstone
Legends of the Fall - not a western in the classic sense, but I think some categorize it as such
Dances With Wolves
Buck and the Preacher - little known, fantastic collaboration with Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte. I guarantee you'll be suprised at how good this movie is.
High Plains Drifter
Pale Rider
The Shootist
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 06:37 am

which version did you see, Julia?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:14 am
The last movie I saw was yesterday night, a fairly bland production by the name of 'The Call' from 2013, which features Halle Berry as a 911 operator with a traumatized past, and Abigail Breslin as an abducted teenager. Logically speaking, there are some gaps here and there. Especially near the end.
And most of the rest is a rather plain rehash of subject matter that has been done in earlier movies.

I wouldn't recommend watching it, although it's 6.7 rating at imdb probably means it has more hidden merit than I discovered in it. Then again, rotten tomatoes graces it with a much more accurate 43% in my book. Go figure.

A movie worth mentioning I saw before that was Odd Thomas, based on the Dean Koontz novels. Think 'The Frighteners', but with a more dark and serious undertone. Young man sees dead people, and tries to either solve the murder of or, in the case of this movie, prevent the slaughter of, innocent people.

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:21 am
A bunch load of years ago, can't remember ! I am a sodomised entangled web slave...one more drone. Wink
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 12:31 am
Glengarry, Glen Ross. Terrific cast including very young looking Alec Baldwin and Ed Harris and Kevin Spacey. Jonathan Pryce. Al Pacino. Jack Lemmon. Alan Arkin.

I felt that despite Kevin Spacey supposedly having studied Kevin McCarthy to play Frank Underwood, it would seem Spacey was influenced by Jack Lemmon's spectacular performance in Glengarry, Glen Ross. He was pushy, pseudo charming, whining, cajoling . . . everything Frank Undewood is.

The film was supposedly a flop. I remember the reviewers concentrating on the language. They ought to have concentrated on the themes. The film is especially current during the loooonnnnngggggggg slog to the 2016 elections.