Stupid meteorology!

jespah

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:22 pm
Okay, so I'd like to rant about lousy weather here, plus it's scientific causes. We all know about El Niño (unseasonably warm weather) and La Niña (unseasonably cool weather) and global warming, which may or may not be real.

Plus we here in Boston are experiencing El Stinko, which is shorthand for it rains every day and is colder than cold even though it's almost June. And, it's currently pouring, with dabs of thunder and lightning (I may have to ditch the online connection soon).

So tell me - how is it by you? Cold? Hot? Wet? Dry? Cows flying by on the wings of a twister? Fish falling from the sky? Earth shaking even if your one and only isn't nearby?

Do tell!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 92,522 • Replies: 1,119

jespah

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:26 pm
Oh yeah, the science -

La Niña and El Niño: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/elnino/la-nina-story.html

Global warming: http://www.climatehotmap.org/ or http://www.globalwarming.org/ (depends on your perspective)

El Stinko: http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/climatology/monthly/02135 and http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/local/02135?GO=GO
fishin

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:27 pm
Well umm.. Being that I'm right up the road from you and all... It's about the same as at your place! Very Happy

I did spend the weekend in Tampa and it was downright balmy down there. A quick dip in the pool.. A beer or two whilst I relxed beside the pool...

Heck, I'm sure it'll be just like that up here in a few days.. NOT! lol
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:28 pm
Not much different 7 or so miles away, eh? Hmmm, it's a global weather conspiracy, I tell ya.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:36 pm
Cloudburst!!

We were driving home from an expedition -- had been warm-to-hot, very humid. The sozlet fell asleep in the car just before we got home, so I drove around a bit longer to make sure she was totally asleep. (Otherwise she'd wake up when I tried to get her out of the car.) There was suddenly this air of urgency -- a couple of kids on bikes who had just been standing around suddenly zoomed off, a man and a woman ran into their house. I looked in the rearview and the sky was black. Then all of a sudden everything got very dark, had to turn my lights on to see the dash. And then a torrent of great big fat drops, and then little pingy bouncy hail. Hightailed it home, parked the car in the garage, ran in and got the New Yorker and read it while the sozlet slept. After a while the rain abated and I tried to bring her in. (Still didn't work, though -- she woke up, I picked her up again, she snuggled in, and is now asleep on my shoulder. I'm typing v e r y s l o w l y. Wink)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:59 pm
viva el stinko!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:04 pm
well, we've got the usual. weather improves throughout the workweek, peaks on hump day, and will likely deteriorate to rain by the weekend (which should be moved to mid-week, i suppose).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:16 pm
Hey Mr. Philbus! Is that your final...

-whew, stopped myself. That was close. Shocked

Welcome!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:26 pm
I'm just down the road it northeastern Connecticut and its the same misserable mess. I'm sitting in my office freezing while there is a thunderstorm out side !!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:27 pm
You poor people.

It had actually been really nice here -- low 70's, sunny -- until today. Started out gray and muggy, then the storm brough gray and chilly. Hmph.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 06:10 pm
grrrrr, sounds like we have the same weather Jes - oops, we do have the same weather. Grrrrr.

Although, I must say, that at least THIS day full of showers was spring-like. We had sun mixed in and the rain was as soft as rose petals. That is it was until the raging downpour. Grrrr. At least I got to see some kickass bolts over hahvahd sqayah
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 06:13 pm
We're either in the high eighties or in the low nineties with a light breeze. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 06:14 pm
jespah, Don't kill the messenger just yet; meterology is still an imperfect science. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:13 pm
Oz has been racked by the most horrific drought for a century. We've had countless rounds of bushfires, all the dams are at critical level, and the outback is blowing away in dust storms.

Here in Sydney, on the coastal fringe - we've been absolutely deluged for the last month, especially on weekends, with torrential rain. The grass is as high as an elephant's eye.... Moss is growing everywhere. I finally succumbed and did some laundry yesterday, when it didn't rain, but I didn't get home in time to get it in before it got damp again - so the inside of my house looks like a laundry explosion. And it's getting nippy - as winter sneaks in.

But - the rest of the country is still in drought - and there's precious little change in the level of the dams. Baaahhhh!

Next week I'll be in Stockholm, and guess what - the stinking weather is almost identical to here! Double-Baaaah! Where's the sun???
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:19 pm
It's official; it was 94 today. Whew! c.i.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:21 pm
Hey Margo

My daughter the lovely Nina with husband and 2 of my beautiful granchildren just moved here to Boston Mass. from Stockholm. She and Paddy have been living there for 18 years. I thought it was because they love us but the weather may have been an influence. Last year was the worst. Everyone was sick.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:28 am
Bobsmyth
I'm supposed to be going there for midsummer. They'd better pick up their act and find that bloody summer, or there'll be hell to pay (although at least hell would be warm! Confused )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:39 am
Well, the weather is always there for us to carp about, isn't it!

What would we do without it - in that awkward moment, after the huge fight that shocked and appalled the assembled guests at the dinner party, when it broke out between the host and hostess, and during which it was discovered that he is not the f***** father of HER f****** children, thank god - how I love to be able to restore peace, harmony, and general gruntlement to the dinner table with these simple words: "WHAT a lot of weather we have been having lately, haven't we?"
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 02:02 am
Bunhun, what you should have said was:

"And hasn't the weather been a real bastard lately too!".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 02:11 am
LOL!!!!!

Good one, Pondy!
0 Replies