Famous "Marlboro man" soldier now crippled with PTSD

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 01:51 pm
Quote:
Iraq War hero in new battle
By NICK PAPPS in Los Angeles
21may06

HE was known as the Marlboro Man and with his bloodied, blackened face and piercing stare, he became a symbol of the US soldier in Iraq.

But now, 18 months on, James Blake Miller is fighting another battle. The troubled former marine's life has been ruined by post-traumatic stress.

He can't find work, drinks too much and dreams of death.

In November 2004, when the photograph was taken, Miller had survived an all-night fire-fight in the town of Fallouja.

For 12 hours Lance Corporal Miller and his unit had been pinned down on a rooftop by enemy fire.

As the dawn broke and the shots finally subsided, the shattered 20-year-old, put a Marlboro cigarette to his mouth and this famous image was snapped by a photographer.

The photo was sent around the world. Dubbed the Marlboro Man or the "Face of Fallouja", it captured the essence of the Iraq conflict, symbolising everything from the valour of the fighting man to the loss of youthful innocence and the futility of the war.

For Miller, who did not notice his photograph being taken, the image preserved forever a moment when he did not know if he would see another dawn.

In the days after the photograph, Miller became an overnight celebrity. The US military command tried to move him from the frontline, fearing the public relations disaster of this new hero being killed in combat, but Miller refused to leave. His fame reached all the way to the White House, where US President George Bush sent him a letter and a cigar.

But long after the fame subsided, a new picture began to emerge. One year after the photo was taken, Miller was discharged from the Marine Corps after being diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Today he barely sleeps, plagued by nightmares.

The Marlboro Man now smokes a packet of cigarettes a day, down from the six in Iraq.

He drinks too much and depends on his wife, Jessica, to hold him for hours as he tries to forget all that he has seen.

"He's not the same as before," Ms Miller says.

"I'd never seen the anger, the irritability, the anxiety."

Unable to work, Miller relies on his disability pension of $3339 to get by. He is often angry and confused. In an incident before he was discharged, Miller attacked a petty officer on a US Coast Guard ship while he was deployed to help the Hurricane Katrina clean-up.

The sailor had made a whistling noise like a missile. Miller went berserk, slammed him against a wall and punched him.

Miller doesn't remember the incident.

But he says his ambition to become a police officer or marshal is ruined because of his post-traumatic stress disorder.

"I'm only 21. I'm able-bodied , yet I'm considered a liability," says Miller, who cannot bear to look at the war photo and hates the nickname.

"It's like I had all these doorways open to me and suddenly they all closed on me. It's like my life is over."

Link to article
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,320 • Replies: 21
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 03:36 pm
Only one example of what Bush has done to our young men and women by starting his war in Iraq.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 04:03 pm
Sad, but true <sigh>
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 05:29 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Only one example of what Bush has done to our young men and women by starting his war in Iraq.

Soldiers since time began have suffered from PTSD.
It used to be called "shell shock".
It is sad,but it is a fact of life.
Of course,people that suffer thru other traumatic events also suffer from a form of PTSD.

Are you saying that only the current combat vets are suffering from PTSD?
Is PTSD solely the fault of President Bush?

I know you hate him,but the vietnam vets that suffer from PTSD,is that Bush's fault?
What about the WW2 vets,or the Korea vets,or any vets from other countries that suffer from PTSD?

It is a sad,but true,consequence of combat.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 06:57 pm
mysteryman wrote:

Of course,people that suffer thru other traumatic events also suffer from a form of PTSD.

WOW, REALLY?

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4419/thankscaptainobvious5fx.jpg

mysteryman wrote:

Is PTSD solely the fault of President Bush?...the vietnam vets that suffer from PTSD,is that Bush's fault?

Are you that dense to actually think that's what I was saying? Probably not. Just another bullsh*t inflammatory comment that says nothing at all in a weak attempt to distract. Well, you're in luck! I looked up the answers to your questions, and to no ones surprise...

CLICK HERE FOR THE ANSWER!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 07:04 pm
mysteryman wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

I know you hate him,but the vietnam vets that suffer from PTSD,is that Bush's fault?
What about the WW2 vets,or the Korea vets,or any vets from other countries that suffer from PTSD?

I would love to see mysteryman, just once, put his head into the barrel of a large cannon immediately before discharge.

Is that too much to ask?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 07:07 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 07:11 pm
mysteryman wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

well, knowing it should make leaders more cautious to employ warfare., but apparently not those who went AWOL or got several deferments because they "were doing other things." thos types never saw the blooshed or held wounded buddies in their arms as the life pulsed out of them.

nosiree, they were too busy. not for Bush and his gang of draft-dodging chickenhawks, to worry about inferior body and vehicle armor, insufficient troops to fulfill the mission, but all have led to increased losses and destruction of lives, and blaming the enemy for one's own logistical mistakes is typical of the bushevik lower brain stem thinking

while it may well be tautological true that you go to war with the troops you have when you invade another country, it is certainly untrue that the US had to go to war in iraq in march 2003.

I truly hope that there is a Hell, because if the Christian God rules Heaven he will send George Bush straight to hell and have the soul of that lying son of a bitch haunted through all eternity by those who died by his selfish and stupid actions.

and that "is a sad,but true,consequence of" believing in your Bible.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 07:11 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I would love to see mysteryman, just once, put his head into the barrel of a large cannon immediately before discharge.
Is that too much to ask?

Yes, it is. He may be a joke, but you shouldn't say things that harsh.

Besides, he "discharges" enough for all of us at the start of every Rush Limbaugh show.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 07:56 pm
God, I hate this war and I detest this spineless idiot of a president for choosing it over the lives of our young men and women.

The only thing worse is those still so slavishly devoted to his adulation that they feel the need to justify his every misstep and every misdeed as though it were commited by the Son of God rather than a none-too-bright political hack.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 08:00 pm
I'm with ya, Blacksmithn!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 06:22 am
The anti-war propaganda machine, working tirelessly I see. Good for you! This kid never asked for the attention he got, and he should be getting help for whatever problems ails him.

It's no different the left using him this way, then the right using his image for their propaganda. Congratulations guys! You are no better than the right!

I hope you are proud of yourselves.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 06:29 am
I really hope that the VA takes care of this young man, as well as all the young men and women served in the military, and who are suffering from PTSD.

Whatever the politics, the reality is, many people who are thrown into a war, will return home, suffering from PTSD. This is not the time for partisan backstabbing. All of us need to make a lot of noise, to make sure that these people are not forgotten by the country which they served so well. We must make sure that they receive quality mental health treatment, to get them through this awful phase in their lives.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 06:46 am
Re: Famous "Marlboro man" soldier now crippled wit
JustanObserver wrote:
Quote:
Iraq War hero in new battle
By NICK PAPPS in Los Angeles
21may06

HE was known as the Marlboro Man and with his bloodied, blackened face and piercing stare, he became a symbol of the US soldier in Iraq.

But now, 18 months on, James Blake Miller is fighting another battle. The troubled former marine's life has been ruined by post-traumatic stress.

He can't find work, drinks too much and dreams of death.

In November 2004, when the photograph was taken, Miller had survived an all-night fire-fight in the town of Fallouja.

For 12 hours Lance Corporal Miller and his unit had been pinned down on a rooftop by enemy fire.

As the dawn broke and the shots finally subsided, the shattered 20-year-old, put a Marlboro cigarette to his mouth and this famous image was snapped by a photographer.

The photo was sent around the world. Dubbed the Marlboro Man or the "Face of Fallouja", it captured the essence of the Iraq conflict, symbolising everything from the valour of the fighting man to the loss of youthful innocence and the futility of the war.

For Miller, who did not notice his photograph being taken, the image preserved forever a moment when he did not know if he would see another dawn.

In the days after the photograph, Miller became an overnight celebrity. The US military command tried to move him from the frontline, fearing the public relations disaster of this new hero being killed in combat, but Miller refused to leave. His fame reached all the way to the White House, where US President George Bush sent him a letter and a cigar.

But long after the fame subsided, a new picture began to emerge. One year after the photo was taken, Miller was discharged from the Marine Corps after being diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Today he barely sleeps, plagued by nightmares.

The Marlboro Man now smokes a packet of cigarettes a day, down from the six in Iraq.

He drinks too much and depends on his wife, Jessica, to hold him for hours as he tries to forget all that he has seen.

"He's not the same as before," Ms Miller says.

"I'd never seen the anger, the irritability, the anxiety."

Unable to work, Miller relies on his disability pension of $3339 to get by. He is often angry and confused. In an incident before he was discharged, Miller attacked a petty officer on a US Coast Guard ship while he was deployed to help the Hurricane Katrina clean-up.

The sailor had made a whistling noise like a missile. Miller went berserk, slammed him against a wall and punched him.

Miller doesn't remember the incident.

But he says his ambition to become a police officer or marshal is ruined because of his post-traumatic stress disorder.

"I'm only 21. I'm able-bodied , yet I'm considered a liability," says Miller, who cannot bear to look at the war photo and hates the nickname.

"It's like I had all these doorways open to me and suddenly they all closed on me. It's like my life is over."

Link to article

I good to see you are concerned about the health of our soldiers.

I would expect you have already make a cash contribution to THE FALLEN HEROS FUND.

http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/fallenheroes/index.php

As good citizens, we must all do what we can to help these heros. They have given all they can for us.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 10:57 am
So, a PRIVATELY FUNDED Vets hospital is built by the contributions of PRIVATE CITIZENS, will be run independtly of Govt B.S., provide state of the art health care for our soldiers and the best you can come up with is BLAME BUSH???

Tell your brother that I appreciate his service but his sibling is an a-hole.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 11:25 am
woiyo wrote:
So, a PRIVATELY FUNDED Vets hospital is built by the contributions of PRIVATE CITIZENS, will be run independtly of Govt B.S., provide state of the art health care for our soldiers and the best you can come up with is BLAME BUSH???

so, it is "big gumment" that is the problem? how lame can you get? it is your heroes who are manning the con of government. the tools are there, there is a system, but the busheviks just decided that rich folk need their money more than sick and crippled vets, and you support those clowns.

don't dislocate your shoulder buddy, you're reaching, and not about to address the problems your political heroes are causing to the tens of thousands of vets they are screwing over.

your attempt to salve over the support you have given to the monstrosity of the bush adminisration is laughable. like the drawings of an imbecile smearing his own feces on a wall. you are proud of what you have done, but others find it useless in the scheme of things.

you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:45 pm
kuvasz wrote:
woiyo wrote:

so, it is "big gumment" that is the problem? how lame can you get? it is your heroes who are manning the con of government. the tools are there, there is a system, but the busheviks just decided that rich folk need their money more than sick and crippled vets, and you support those clowns.

don't dislocate your shoulder buddy, you're reaching, and not about to address the problems your political heroes are causing to the tens of thousands of vets they are screwing over.

your attempt to salve over the support you have given to the monstrosity of the bush adminisration is laughable. like the drawings of an imbecile smearing his own feces on a wall. you are proud of what you have done, but others find it useless in the scheme of things.

you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Chill little one.

You're talking to someone who DOES NOT SUPPORT GW in his handeling if the Iraq "conflict".

You are talking to a vet who saw his Uncle DIE in a VA hospital and a brother who still has difficulty using VA services. Take a look at the web site and tell me that public facilities like this can do a better job for our soldiers as compared to some of the VA hospitals.

If anything happened to your brother, where would you have him sent?
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 05:25 pm
This is a rehash of an article from January: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/01/29/MNGMHGVCEV1.DTL

Do the Taliban lovers ever get tired of bad news?

Probably time to reprint the Abu Ghraib photos, yet again, and act as if nothing has changed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 05:34 pm
The important paragraph from the above link.

A recent study of soldiers and Marines who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan found that about 17 percent met criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, or generalized anxiety disorder. Of those whose responses were positive for a mental disorder, 40 percent or fewer actually received help while on active duty.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 05:43 pm
http://bagnewsnotes.typepad.com/bagnews/images/clips/marlboroLATMiller.jpg
Semper Fi, Marine.
0 Replies