Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:47 am
It has often been speculated upon as to the reason why, in all that time, the population remained fairly constant and at a very low and easily sustainable level and that when they were discovered they were found to have no knowledge that sexual intercourse and childbirth were connected.

It has been said that they must have an advanced knowledge of areodynamics to have invented the boomerang.

Their marriage customs are fiendishly complex.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 09:01 am
FLORIDA UPDATE

Quote:
Controversial bill on evolution and "academic freedom" is to get another airing Tuesday
(Leslie Postal, Orlando Sentinel, April 7, 2008)

A bill that aims to protect teachers who are critical of evolution is slated to get its second hearing in the Senate tomorrow.

Normally, we wouldn't care about these incremental movements up in Tallahassee. But this bill, and its companion in the House, has generated a lot of interest. Plus, the topic is the same one dealt with in Ben Stein's new (and also controversial) movie, so that seems to make it hot, hot, hot.

The bills, CS/SB 2692 and HB 1483, were filed after Florida adopted new science standards that for the first time require the teaching of evolution. Backers say they are needed to protect teachers who don't take the same dogmatic approach as the state standards require when it comes to teaching evolution.

Opponents (including many of those who helped write the new standards) say the bills are a back door way of inserting religious beliefs into science classrooms. And, they argue, teachers have not been punished in the past for discussing other views about evolution and don't need this sort of protection.

These "academic freedom" bills are modeled on ones proposed by the Discovery Institute -- a group that thinks that Intelligent Design does a better job than Darwinian evolution of explaining life on earth.

The Senate bill has passed out of one committee already and is on the agenda of the judiciary committee's agenda for tomorrow. The House bill has not yet had a committee hearing.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 09:24 am
AIDs-ers might be interested in a new book by Michio Kaku.

Here is a review of it-

Quote:

"unacknowledged faith of supposedly secular society" eh?

It's in the ST that AIDs-ers are a bunch of religious nuts which might explain their aggression towards other religious nuts.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 11:01 am
FLORIDA UPDATE (breaking news)
Quote:
Anti-evolution bill clears another hurdle
(Aaron Deslatte, Orlando Sentinel, April 8, 2008)

The Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday gave a partisan passing grade to the bill critics say is designed to challenge the teaching of evolution in Florida classrooms.

Sen. Ronda Storms, a Tampa-area Republican and former teacher, is carrying the bill at the behest of religious groups who lost a close vote to amend Florida's science-teaching standards earlier this year. The Academic Freedom bill, as it's known, says teachers can't be discriminated against for teaching ideas contrary to the theory of evolution.

Storms said it was needed because teachers are "muzzled" from bringing up problems with the theory by administrators who "give you bathroom duty, they give you bus duty, you don't get a planning period … so that their unhappiness is expressed."

The panel passed the bill 6-3, with Democrats expressing some reservations that it could prompt lawsuits for violating church-state separation, and was a stealth attempt to inject religion in classrooms.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 11:21 am
What's all this bathroom duty and bus duty and denial of planning periods?

Bloody hell--the kids here would up two fingers to that shite.

AIDs-er administrators!! What can anybody say.

I'm warning you folks. Put AIDs-ers in charge and it will soon be parade at 06.00 hours for inspection and marching off to work stations. And don't kid yourselves.

Bread and water if production targets are not met and bonus plates of gruel for rate-busters.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 11:24 am
I wonder if theres an academic tenure act on the Fla Books? If not, then there oughta be one. Tenure can have associated expectations and performance guidelines so that its not really "discrimination " against Creationists or Idjits. It requires that science (or any other subject) be limited to the guidelines of standards, evidence, or all accepted methods.

Tenure is granted carefully in U's and , once acquired, (like in Mike Behes career) Its difficult to yank.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 11:24 am
All you need do is connect up AIDs-er's habituation to assertions and power and you are right there.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 11:57 am
spendius wrote:
All you need do is connect up AIDs-er's habituation to assertions and power and you are right there.

Wow. The irony is strong in this one.

spendius wrote:
I was merely offering examples of where the AIDs-er's general mental state gets a person who adopts it. I had no expectation that an AIDs-er would approve of my doing so.

Which are merely assertions. You have failed to link those "examples" to being pro-science.

Quote:
And I don't recall seeing the parsec in use on here.

Yeah, most of us aren't astronomers, are we?

Quote:
I notice you have failed to address the main point which is another astonishing feature of the AIDs-er's mind set.

You're the one who asked about a light-year and I thought I'd tell you what a year is generally taken as. If you didn't want someone to answer your question, then you shouldn't have asked one.

Quote:
Are you scared of discussing the psychosomatic problem and the one about religion being a necessity in a society. We are all aware that individuals can do without religion in a religious society.

If there was anything to discuss. Yet you fail and have failed to provide evidence of any sort that there is a problem in the first place and that your spuriously defined notion of ID (which, by the way, has no basis in reality whatsoever) would do anything to alleviate the so-called problem you see in your mind.

Quote:
Why did an AIDs-er call me a troll and not Bernie?

Well, if you're talking about BernardR, then that's easy. If I remember correctly, he's a Creationist or an ID proponent. He would not call you a troll, because you're a friend and supporter of his position.

By the way, your quaint little term AIDs-er is the most poorly constructed term I have ever seen. You put a spurious 's' in there to try and make some connection between pro-scientific people and AIDS. That's a laughably poor attempt at insult. Or are you suggesting that the 's' is relevant that it is anti-Intelligent Designs? That there is more than one Intelligent Design to be opposed against?

Certainly, when asked what you think Intelligent Design is, you have often refused to answer or given brief glimpses that suggest you aren't talking about Intelligent Design. Is it any wonder, then, that people think you are a troll, especially when your posts have little relevance to the topic at hand e.g. your post about a light-year?

It makes me think that you are either a liar or delusional, or maybe you're both. Because you are creating posts that have nothing to do with the topic, which is, I do believe, quite against forum etiquette and quite against the Terms of Use of the forums. The only reason you have failed to be disciplined is that you throw in relevant key words, so that the no-doubt busy moderators will take one glance and not realise what you're doing.

Now either you realise you're doing this, in which case you're dishonest and a liar, or you don't realise you're doing this, in which case you're delusional.

Now which is it, I wonder?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 12:06 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
It makes me think that you are either a liar or delusional, or maybe you're both. Because you are creating posts that have nothing to do with the topic, which is, I do believe, quite against forum etiquette and quite against the Terms of Use of the forums. The only reason you have failed to be disciplined is that you throw in relevant key words, so that the no-doubt busy moderators will take one glance and not realise what you're doing.

Exactly. Just because the troll can use the word evolution in a sentence doesn't mean he isn't trolling and violating the Terms of Use.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 12:52 pm
You have no room to talk about TOS ros.

I'm suprised you're not under suspension.

I don't know why you bother with this thread. You seem to have no interest in its title.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 01:24 pm
My irony meter just exploded.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 01:35 pm
Explain will you Wolf.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 01:50 pm
Wolf-

It's half time at the moment at Anfield so I've read your last post but one.

It is a farrago of nonsense.

The light year thing was a bit of fun for fm. We are allowed to have a bit of fun aren't we?

I read all about the parsec as a result of you mentioning it. Do you want me to thank you? Anyway-the question was how far is a light year in a leap year? Who cares what units its in. It was a joke. And fm took it as one.

I was talking about blatham using Bernie. Not Bernard R. And everybody who is a regular on this thread knows it. I don't recall Bernard R.

And your criticisms of the mods are out of order.

Wonder all you like.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 03:28 pm
Wolf-

You have posted 5 posts on this thread since mid December. 4 of them have been nothing but insults and the other was about Hitler.

You don't know who Bernie is. On the basis of that you then accuse me of being in cahoots with Bernard R.

Bernie does an obvious troll which I didn't complain about and I dealt with his post as it was.

You haven't been reading this thread.

All you can manage it seems is to insult me and the mods by accusing them of not doing their job, being attentive, or being slipshod. I assume they are doing their job as they see fit and nothing has ever been said by me or them relating to my 20 odd thousand posts.

You have answered none of the points I've raised because you haven't read any of them being away so long. Those you have read I can only presume you couldn't answer.

I use AIDs-er because I'm faced with ID-iots and ID-jits. Neither of which you have objected to.

You presume things about me which gives me permission to presume about you which I don't take advantage of.

You're the troller. The evidence is right there.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 05:03 pm
Wolf-

You remind me of one of those chaps who comes in the pub about once every six months, having become bored by all the places he has tried in the meantime, and starts shooting his mouth off as if we are still where he left us when he last condescended to pay us a visit.

A complete arse in other words.

You need strangers pal. New gimmicks. Trolling is the only thing you know.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 05:38 pm
And to save you presuming too much about me I can tell you that if you offered me £100 million to advertise an abortion clinic I would smack you in the mouth and hope I broke all your front teeth and I know that because I have thought about it at some length.

What I would do in Winston Smith's position I do not know never having been there.

So I know which side I am on. No matter how barmy they are.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 05:44 pm
I chose £100 million because I know that all the money in the world would be useless.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 05:18 am
wow, 6 spendi posts back to back. Our boy must really be wound up.
0 Replies

solipsister

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 05:45 am
tx guys always enjoy the obloquy
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 05:52 am
What, ? I love teasing winos.
0 Replies