Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Setanta

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 04:21 am
@TheJackal,
TheJackass wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Now you're calling me "dumb"

At this point I surely am.

Do you claim that that was not name-calling? What a f*cking idiot.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 04:22 am
@TheJackal,
TheJackal wrote:
English Nazi, which is rich coming from someone whose English grammar and spelling is so poor. And you wonder why I am placing you under the classification of an idiot.

Ah-hahahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

You're so f*cking stupid it's breath-taking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 04:24 am
I suggest that you being you English studies with a careful review of the use of prepositions.
0 Replies

TheJackal

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 04:29 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
So it is obvious that you don't know what the verb infer means. This:

I never made such a claim.

Quote:
nother example of how poor your English is. The use of commas is also a convention, and the trend over the last 30 or 40 years is to use them less and less often.

Oh I agree you should use them less often, but you still need to use them where they are needed. You failed at that, and thus your English grammar sucks.
Setanta

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 04:40 am
@TheJackal,
Amazing . . . you use the verb infer but don't claim to know what it means. Well, that's honesty anyway.

You have utterly failed to show where i did not use a comma in a case in which i ought to have done. That you say something is not evidence that it is true.

Your use of English is pathetic.
TheJackal

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 04:54 am
@Setanta,
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/inferring

infer (ɪnˈfɜː)
vb (when tr, may take a clause as object) , -fers, -ferring or -ferred
1. to conclude (a state of affairs, supposition, etc) by reasoning from evidence; deduce
2. (tr) to have or lead to as a necessary or logical consequence; indicate
3. (tr) to hint or imply

Infer has so often been used in reference to imply. This was generally improper, but as words are used and meaning is given by the general population, definitions can and often do get updated. However, the better word I should have used would have been the word "refer". Other than this, the author is inferring that certain religious nutters fear science.

Now on Banter, I used the term in the context of sarcasm.
Setanta

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 05:03 am
Infer and imply are not cognates. Once again, you can infer from something, you cannot infer to something. From what does your author infer that? You really suck at this language. While definitions change over time, there has never been a time when infer and imply were cognates. Language does not work as communication unless there is consensus about definitions. You are like those children who use big words or obscure words because they think it makes them look wise. But you just make a fool of yourself.
farmerman

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 05:05 am
@TheJackal,
YAAAAWWWWWNNNN.
Having a second cup of coffee and I see that today we are arguing what "Infer" means. I suppose that's important to someone.
I wonder what they make FUGGLES out a?
TheJackal

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 05:12 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
What question was it that you allege you asked and which i did not answer?

You missed the comma to which should have been placed after the word "asked".

Quote:
Your use of English is pathetic.

For only having studied English for 2 years, I think it's pretty good actually. Although, I would agree my English needs working on. Lastly, and despite that, I can at least say I don't get something as simple as capitalizing a pronoun wrong while going around telling people their English is pathetic.

0 Replies

TheJackal

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 05:50 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Infer and imply are not cognates.

Tell that to those who write the dictionaries. I don't think it is necessary to be a cognate of another for a word to end up with a definition similar to the other word in question. I could be wrong here, but do feel free to explain as to why that would be a requirement?

Quote:
you cannot infer to something

I do believe I agreed, and that I noted that the term I should have used was "refer".

Quote:
Language does not work as communication unless there is consensus about definitions.

Unfortunately this is one of the various ways in which language has changed over time. Like I said, English, like any other language, is essentially convention.

Quote:
You are like those children who use big words or obscure words because they think it makes them look wise. But you just make a fool of yourself.

Nope, I am just someone who was brought up around those who used the term with a different meaning.. And ignorance isn't what makes someone a fool, it is woeful ignorance that makes someone a fool. Someone who can't admit being wrong is a fool, not someone who learns. But it's clear that you think yourself self better than other people here.

Quote:
Language does not work as communication unless there is consensus about definitions.

Who defines what the consensus is? Take a long look at slang and how language as evolved and tell me where has a consensus ever been really established? Is the consensus not also convention? Language isn't like a mathematical unchanging fact, it is therefore convention. Otherwise words like "ain't" or "isn't" would never have made it into the English dictionary, or that a single word would come to have multiple unrelated definitions. The English Language is one of the hardest languages to learn, and mostly because of many of it's nonsensical rules. As for example, I was taught to pronounce the letters p and h while being told that somehow putting them together makes the F sound. Well, they actually don't make the F sound. Thus that is incoherent, it is nonsensical.

0 Replies

TheJackal

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 06:02 am
@farmerman,
I agree.. He's overly obsessed with the English language to the point in where he feels he must attack anyone who remotely gets a word wrong.. This while he prances about misspelling words, and making his own mistakes. It was a pointless discussion, and possibly one baited to bring a discussion into ad nausea, or try and make a point being made seem like it it's not credible since he could point out the misuse of a word. Sadly, I took the troll bait.., and the internet troll was successful in trolling a discussion off -topic.
farmerman

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 06:23 am
@TheJackal,
don't drag me in this. I make spelling errors all day and half the night
TheJackal

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 06:44 am
@farmerman,
lol, I generally do to as English is not my native language, and that I have dyslexia. Reading is among the most challenging things I do in my daily adventures. I seem to type ok only thanks to key memory, a special font, and spell check. However, you would be scratching your head trying to make out anything I were to have hand written on a piece of paper.

cicerone imposter

Thu 18 Dec, 2014 11:47 am
@TheJackal,
Not to worry; you're doing fine. None of us are perfect when it comes down to the English language.
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:47 pm
Quote:
Even setting evolution aside, basic geology disproves creationism

In the ongoing conflict between science and creationism, evolution is usually a main point of contention. The idea that all life on Earth evolved from a common ancestor is a major problem for creationists. As a geologist, though, I think that the rocks beneath our feet offer even better arguments against creationism. For the creationist model doesn’t square with what you can see for yourself. And this has been known since before Darwin wrote a word about evolution.

What the rocks say

I don’t have to travel very far to make this case. There’s a slab of polished rock on the wall outside my department office that refutes so-called Flood Geology: the view that a global, world-shattering flood explains geologic history after the initial creation of Earth by God. This eight-foot-long slab is a conglomerate – a rock made from water-worked fragments of older rocks.

It’s what you’d get if you buried a riverbed composed of many different types of rock deep enough below ground for temperature and pressure to forge it into a new rock. Preserved in it, you can see the original particles of sand, gravel and cobbles made of various kinds of rock. And if you look closely you can see some of the cobbles are themselves conglomerates — rocks within rocks.

Why does this disprove the creationist view of geology? Because a conglomerate made of fragments of an older conglomerate not only requires a first round of erosion, deposition, and burial deep enough to turn the original sediments into rock. It requires another pass through the whole cycle to turn the second pile of sedimentary rock fragments into another conglomerate.

In other words, this one rock shows that there is more to the geologic record than creationists describe in their scripturally-interpreted version of earth history. A single grand flood cannot explain it all. Embracing young Earth creationism means you have to abandon faith in the story told by the rocks themselves. This, of course, is no surprise to geologists who have established that the world is billions of years old, far older than the thousands of years that creationists infer from adding up the generations enumerated in the Bible.

Early Christians read nature as well as the Bible

In researching my book The Rocks Don’t Lie: A Geologist Investigates Noah’s Flood, I looked into the history of thought about the biblical flood. What I found surprised me on two levels. First, most of the early workers who pioneered what we now call geology were clergy dedicated to reading God’s other book — nature. Second, in pitting science against Christianity, today’s young Earth creationists essentially ignore centuries of Christian theology.

For the first thousand years of Christianity, the church considered literal interpretations of the stories in Genesis to be overly simplistic interpretations that missed deeper meaning. Influential thinkers like Saint Augustine and Saint Thomas Aquinas held that what we could learn from studying the book of nature could not conflict with the Bible because they shared the same author. Yes, it seems that one of the oldest traditions in Christian thought holds that when reason contradicts favored interpretations of scripture about the natural world then those interpretations should be reconsidered.

In keeping with this view, mainstream Christians reinterpreted the biblical stories of the creation and flood after geological discoveries revealed that Earth had a longer and more complicated history than would be inferred from a literal reading of Genesis. Perhaps, they concluded, the days in the week of creation corresponded to geological ages. Maybe Noah’s flood was not global but a devastating Mesopotamian flood.

Young Earth creationists break from history

For over a century, such views dominated mainstream Christian theology until the twentieth century rise of young Earth creationism. This is the version of creationism to which Ken Ham subscribes – you might remember his debate with Bill Nye from 2014. Young Earth creationists imagine that people lived with dinosaurs and that Noah’s flood shaped the world’s topography. In fact, this brand of creationism, embodied by Ham’s Creation Museum in Kentucky, is actually one of the youngest branches of Christianity’s family tree.

Interestingly, one can challenge Flood Geology on biblical grounds. What did Noah do in the biblical story? He saved two of every living thing. So consider the case of fossils, which creationists attribute to the flood. What you find in the rocks is that more than 99% of all species entombed in the rock record are extinct. This simple fact offers a stark contrast to what you would expect to find based on a literal reading of the biblical story.

After looking into the long history of engagement and cross-pollination between geology and Christianity, I find it curious that the conversation constantly gravitates to arguments for and against evolution. Overlooked is how the young Earth creationist’s literal interpretation of biblical stories runs afoul of basic geological observations — like that slab of rock on the wall near my office.

A key point that gets lost in debates over the modern perception of conflict between science and religion is the degree to which this is actually a conflict within religion over how to view science.

http://theconversation.com/even-setting-evolution-aside-basic-geology-disproves-creationism-40356
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Mon 4 May, 2015 02:47 pm
FBI oeps FBM doesn't understand that his 'science' is in reality a disguised religion! I kid you not!
0 Replies

nameless

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:52 pm
@wandeljw,
ID is irrational nonsense!
Impossible.
It is beneath science completely.
Psychology, perhaps...
Not science but ignorant emotional 'beliefs'.
There is no 'question'.
Syamsu

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 04:04 pm
@nameless,
What do you think the freedom in the universe is doing? Is it just like tossing salad, randomly making planets and stars here and there?

Isn't your science crap because you don't acknowledge any decision whatsoever in the entire universe?
hingehead

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 08:12 pm
Why does god have to abide by physical laws? Why can't a giraffe have a 30m long prehensile neck the thickness of your little finger? Why can't we have 100kg dragonflies?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 11 Aug, 2015 02:12 pm
I confess that I have not read all 1000+ pages of the thread but has anyone brought up the fact that Evolution, even if 100% correct, does not explain the origin of the first microbe? You can't invoke natural selection for that.