Nasty plumbing disasters.

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 06:05 pm
Twice in a week the drain from my building to the street has backed up so that the washing machine flooded with grey water and sewage (ugh). We had plumbers come to fix the problem last week adn thing were fine for a little while until today. They dug out a hole in our basement floor, tore out the old sump pump, dug out the old rotting pipes and clipped a bunch of tree roots that had gotten into the pipes.. Bro-in-law #1 bought a new sump pump and filled in the hole with sand to be cemented later by the &%*#$ plumbers. They'll have to dig it out again. So, my question to you all is, can I take a shower at your place? I'll bring my own towel.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,901 • Replies: 70
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 06:16 pm
Sure. Come on over. AmericaWest flight 69 departs Logan at about a quarter after eight; gets into Seattle at 2:22 am, after a stop in Phoenix. You'll have to cab it from the airport. Need my address?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 06:19 pm
Thanks, I'll let you know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 07:02 pm
Absolutely. Don't bother with the towels, I'll warm up the seafoam coloured ones for you - i'll even get out the magic bathrobe, that makes all things better.

errrrrrrr, where were your landlords when all this was happening? Have they made alternate arrangements for you?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 09:07 pm
Sump pump? Is it really a sump pump or is it a sewage pump? If it's a regular sump pump I'd run that outside and let it drain off in the yard instead of sending it out through the sewer system.

But ummm.. Yeah, if ya really need to! lol
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:04 pm
Ack! Not fun! Yes, what's up with the landlord(s)?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:55 pm
seems like a lot of trouble and expense to fly all this way for a shower, but sure anytime. Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:47 pm
Yes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 04:12 am
When I lived on LI our sewer would back up from time to time.We had an exhaust pipe near our washing machine in the basement. The goop would back up there, and we had more than a few floods over the years.

My husband always blamed it on me, saying that I was dropping things down the sink. (He once found a stray green pea). Usually, we were able to fix it ourselves with chemicals or a little snaking.

Anyhow, one day the clog was too bad for us to fix. We called in a plumber. Seems that the fine roots of a big tree in front of the house, had gotten into the sewer pipe, and had clogged evrything up. There was a big fight in our house that night! Mad

littlek- I have the soap and the towels. Come on down! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 04:45 am
Tell me in the USA there is a difference between sewers and other drains!?

K - of COURSE you can come, 'k?

However - I need to tell you that the water supply to the loo is turned off cos there is a leak from the loo cistern.... and I can't afford to get it fixed!

Shower is fine, though...
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 04:50 am
Do you live near the WMCA?

They have showers. Razz
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:24 am
dlowan- In parts of the US that are far from cities, homes have individual septic tanks or cesspools. When I first moved to Long Island, we had a cesspool for the first few years, until the county put a sewer line in!

Link to septic tanks
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:32 am
Ah - where the grass grows greener! But does wee k not live in a major city?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:44 am
dlowan- She probably has a sewer, but the pipes may be may be old and rotted.

Here's a link to sump pumps:Link to Sump Pumps

The big problems are those damn tree roots. The little hairy ones can get into a pipe and block everything off. (You would not believe what it looks like. I saw what the plumber pulled out of a pipe, and I was amazed.)Then someone flushes down some toilet paper, and..............................
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:47 am
ewwww - roots I seen - but, thankfully, not in the SEWER!!!!! ewwwwwww2wwwwwwwwwwww..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:50 am
You must have some really nonagressive trees, Deb. It isn't pretty and does require professional help.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:51 am
dlowan- I saw those tiny roots, searching for water, wiggle in at a point where pipes were joined, and got in that way. That is why, if you plant a tree near a sewer system, it should only be a variety that is shallow rooted. (I'm so smart, after the fact! Razz )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:02 am
heehee - roots in DRAINS I seen - but not, thank goodness, in the SEWER. They are much deeper in Oz than the ordinary drain.

how did we get onto drains?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 11:50 am
did littlek ever find a shower, or is she at an airport somewhere, trying to decide where to fly to?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 12:17 pm
Sigh
no shower. I'll be going to the penis show stinky and greasy. Oh well.

The way I understand it is this: the grey water washes down the drain into the city system as does the sewage. So, when the back up occurs at a point after those pipes meet (near the street) the mixed nasty liquid backs up water pipe is available to it. The most available place for it to back up is into the laundry machine (cringe).

The plumbers were going to come back today at some point to see what they could do. Meanwhile, no draining of any sort is allowed. I've been finding out some interesting points about the people in the house. Like, who flushes what..... TMI. And let me say that it is prudent to not flush ify items into an ify system (some people!).
0 Replies