Nasty plumbing disasters.

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:33 pm
Let me know if you need me to go down there and kick the plumbing for ya. Just as long as it's not too early... or not too late...or not too cold or hot or.... (some friend I am)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:41 pm
its okay...maybe I can train the cats?? oiy.

Anyway...those plumbers are coming back huh? Might want to get home early enough to .. ahem.. hang out wid em

giggles! Gotta think positive there gal!
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 08:09 pm
My worst plumbing story...

Friday, May 31st, 1889. Record that awful date in characters of funereal hue. It was a dark and stormy day, and amid the darkness and the storm the angel of death spread his wings over the fated valley, unseen, unknown. Midday comes. Disquieting rumors rush down the valley. There is a roar of an approaching storm - approaching doom! The water swiftly rises. A horseman thunders down the valley: "To the hills, for God's sake! To the hills, for your lives!" They stare at him as at a madman, and their hesitating feet linger in the valley of the shadow of death, and the shadow swiftly darkens, and the everlasting hills veil their faces with rain and mist before the scene that greets them. "This is what happened: - "The heavy rainfall raised the lake until its water began to pour over the top of the dam. The dam itself - wretchedly built of mud and boulders - saturated through and through, began to leak copiously here and there. Each watery sapper and miner burrowed on, followers swiftly enlarging the murderous tunnels. The whole mass became honeycombed. And still the rain poured down, and still the South Fork and a hundred minor streams sent in their swelling floods, until, with a roar like that of the opening gates of the Inferno belching forth the legions of the damned, the wall gave way, and with the rush of a famished tiger into a sheepfold, the whirlwind of water swept down the valley on its errand of destruction -

"And like a horse unbroken,
When first he feels the rein,
The furious river struggled hard,
And tossed his tawny mane,
And burst the curb and bounded,
Rejoicing to be free,
And, whirling down in mad career,
Battlement and plank and pier, Rushed headlong to the sea!"

"According to the statements of people who lived in Johnstown and other towns on the line of the river, ample time was given to the inhabitants of Johnstown by the railroad officials and by other gentlemen of standing and reputation. In hundreds of cases this warning was utterly disregarded, and those who heeded it early in the day were looked upon as cowards, and many jeers were uttered by lips that now are cold. The people of Johnstown also had a special warning in the fact that the dam in Stony Creek, just above the town, broke about noon, and thousands of feet of lumber passed down the river. Yet they hesitated, and even when the wall of water, almost forty feet high, was at their doors, one man is said by a survivor to have told his family that the stream would not rise very high."

2209 dead. Many more injured. Bad plumbing.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:43 pm
I'm begining to hate plumbing problems. Too many problems with the flush mechanism of my "new toliet". ( Cost was about $500)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:21 pm
k...hows your plumbing doing lately?

Ive had 4 straight days of kicking the pump...landlord is in the process of getting quotations, which she called me about today...Im thinking...
if this is anything like the ceiling disaster...
Id better take a plumbing class now.

Sure you dont need to take a shower at a friends place??? Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:31 pm
A plumbing class and maybe a valium. My plumbing's ok. They put up no-parking signs for 3/8 - so I guess that's the day.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:33 pm
a valium is probably in order, you're right

3/8? so, Saturday? humm..thinking that cooking lunch for the plumbers might help perhaps?

Thank goodness its going well, fingers crossed it continues!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:35 pm
Thanks. So, what are the quotes for exactly? Replacing the thing?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:38 pm
Plumbers get lots of $$ for their labors.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:49 pm
God I hope so, if shes getting quotes to fiddle with it to hold out for a while <like the ceiling disaster> Im going to loose my mind...or get some valium, yeah, thats it.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:29 pm
How about some chocolate, instead?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:45 pm
hmmmm, no, valium.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:46 pm
second the valium
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 09:11 pm
So, they come to dig up my garden monday..... grrrr.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 06:15 pm
ouch..sorry honey

plumbing/gareden

well..Id go for the plumbing

however I know the garden thing sucks.

I no longer have to kick the pump...what shall I do ??? Plumber spent all Saturday morning here...ho humm..with me on the other side of the wall turning the water on and off but, until he got it all working just right..it was okay.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:57 pm
EXCELLENT! Phew, about time.

Turns out the digging will miss most of the plants I put in, but they'll have to take out the yew and maybe a big old rhododendron.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:17 am
oh goody...missing your plants I think is a good thing!
humm..can you harmoniously uprrot and put aside the yew and rhododendron to replant? I know, bad time of year but, still....?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 02:17 pm
so, today was the grand finale. They dug up half the road yesterday, the other half today, they replaced the pipes and filled it all back in. I'll get to check out the damage when I get back home. Phew, glad that's over <knocking on wood>.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 02:20 pm
crossing fingers for you!!!!!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 02:21 pm
Tanks, hows your disaster?
0 Replies