Meanwhile, in Australia .. (mate!)

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 10:00 pm
"All I had was me jocks on and he was chasing me up the street and I'm just like, mate!"

https://www.facebook.com/iwakeupwithtoday/videos/1406230166078311/

blatham

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 11:21 pm
That nation is carried on the backs of men like him.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 06:37 am
@blatham,
cant view this without joining FB, of which I am unable to do.
can someone transpose whatever it is Im supposed to see.

Cman ya wankeh!
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 06:42 am
@farmerman,
I can't access that Australian TV broadcast at source (because I'm in Canada). Likely you won't be able to either in the US. The TV show is TODAY.

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 06:47 am
@nimh,
Mate, I mean mate, mate
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 06:58 am
I did once see a film of two Australian mates mating. Probably an Attenborough thing. I don't recall exactly.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 04:53 pm
@dlowan,
I nicked this post from you! Please don't come chasing me up the street in your undies.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 06:55 pm
@blatham,
As It Happens just interviewed him. Brilliant.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 06:57 pm
@blatham,
you should be able to see it on the Torstar site

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/11/24/aussie-underpants-hero-leads-police-to-crash-suspect.html

https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/news/world/2016/11/24/aussie-underpants-hero-leads-police-to-crash-suspect/daniel-mcconnell.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x683.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:19 pm
I should not have watched that again just before my Thursday phone call with my dad. I coughed/sputtered/laughed through the first 3 or 4 minutes til I could regain control.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 08:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Meantime, hug from me to your dad.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 08:57 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Mate, I mean mate, mate

Hey mate, this clip made me think of this old video with Rob Schneider..

Dude....?

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 09:06 pm
Got me to thinking....

In your respective country, what is the equivalent of your word for mate, dude, etc?

A couple of weeks I was saying something to this guy from the Middle East that I've seen around a few times. I don't know anything about him. Talks mainly to men, not women, I totally get that.

Anyway, I had to address him in such a way that he knew I was talking to him, and not some other people there, so I started with "Well my friend...."

It's like I flipped a switch. All smiles. Since then every time I see him, he waves and smiles.

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 09:59 pm
I'll add one thing on a more serious note, though.

I loved this guy. He seemed like a mensch.

I hated those anchors. So, so condescending.

It's a bigger thing too. There's a whole genre of this kind of stuff by now, of course: videos that got shared into infinity on social media and sparked subreddits full of memes, because they featured some kind of person-in-the-street who doesn't, you know, sound like people in an office. No filter, unvarnished. Heavy accent of one kind or another: "street", black, working class, surfer dude, ghetto, whatever. "Ain't nobody got time for that!" "Hide yo kids, hide yo wife!" "Dead giveaway!". Kai the hitchhiker. That dude recounting a car accident. The homeless guy with the radio voice.

There's something problematic about the way all of that is shared - especially because in many cases (not this one) it's someone from a racial minority - there's a kind of domestic orientalism / exoticism about it. But I don't want to get all PC about that.

A kinder interpretation is that people are just sincerely relieved / exhilarated, for a moment, to get a genuine person raw on TV instead of the usual, endless parade of media-trained, bland (almost uniformly upper-middle class) faces and demeanors.

But ow jeez, just how smug and patronizing are these anchors? Not just in this video - though also in this video - but in general in these. "Aw look how endearing and exciting this guy down there is!" The titillation at a way of acting that would never fly at any of the offices or dinners they frequent. The condescension about how, you see, salt of the earth, these common folk, doing the right thing! The laughter at the funny, "primitive" way they talk. (An orientalism of class, I guess.)

I know some of you will think I'm dragging PC bullshit into this, or talking paranoid bollocks; maybe manifesting some irrational bitter resentment, and targeting it at people who, you know, might have all kinds of troubles and backgrounds too, even if they're perfectly coiffed and accented! (I remember getting into a related argument with Chai at some point.) But I think some of you will probably recognize what I mean, and share the feeling.

Anyway, /rant. I really did just post the vid because I, too, thought it was hilarious. And that guy seems awesome. So, back to that. :-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 10:05 pm
@chai2,
That's awesome. I got that in Greece, when I had to go there repeatedly for work stuff in a previous life. Everything was "my friend". Some guy you'd met for the first time: "My friend" this, my friend that... It was great.

Don't have nothing like that in Hungary. "Mate" would be "haver", I guess, but it's not bandied around the same way.
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 10:58 pm
@nimh,
I'm not an undies chasing sort of person, generally speaking. If you do something REALLY awful I might though!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 10:59 pm
@chai2,
Yep...dude is the new mate.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 11:09 pm
@nimh,
Haver? What's the source of that? I get it as in maybe "my best haver nimh said...." but what's the origin?

There're certain sobriquets (if that's the word) in the US that were used in earlier decades, which can be quite charming (or not). Ones like, my friend, pal, slick, that I wish would come back.

Much better than bro, brah etc.
margo

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 02:06 am
What can I say...we're a country of active, law-abiding people. Or something. Maaate!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 09:29 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Haver? What's the source of that? I get it as in maybe "my best haver nimh said...." but what's the origin?

Etymologically speaking, you mean? No idea, not that well versed in Hungarian etymology. For the hell of it I looked up how an online dictionary translates it into English and it listed dude, chum, bubba, pal, buddy, matey, sport, sidekick. Now there's a list. :-)