Are you volunteering for / donating to either candidate?

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:51 am
We all know that opinions abound aplenty here on A2K, but I was curious - how many of you are actually out there volunteering for either candidate? Canvassing, leafletting, registering voters, fundraising, any of that? I know only about Soz ... who else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,703 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:54 am
Re: Are you volunteering for / donating to either candidate?
nimh wrote:
We all know that opinions abound aplenty here on A2K, but I was curious - how many of you are actually out there volunteering for either candidate? Canvassing, leafletting, registering voters, fundraising, any of that? I know only about Soz ... who else?

As an independent, I do not contribute to or work in the campaign of either candidate.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:02 pm
I try and get everyone I know to register to vote.

It's getting annoying to them. I don't tell people how to vote, but I think it's important that everyone participates in the process.

A lack of personal participation in the process is one of the largest problems with America.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:10 pm
I intend to send in another twenty five bucks for Kerry tonight after the debate as a vote of confidence.

We can get rid of these incompetent Republicans fast enough.

I didn't enter anything into your questionaire because I don't care for the questions.

My advice is that you vote for the candidate of your choice. I have both donated and volunteered time for not just Kerry but now Barbara Boxer and a few others who are looking out for the good of the public and the world and seem to be sane.

Your questionaire demonstrates the basic flaw of polls. They tend to ask leading questions. And they tend to evade specific questions that address moral and ethical issues that might tend to make a particular candidate look bad.

Here's a questionaire question I'd like to see:

"When the Iraqi terrorists murder children and wound our soldiers does it increase our justification for being there without a 'broad alliance' that includes a broad base of Arabs, Turkish Muslims and Persians?"

I would vote "no" on that one. Would you?

Here's another tough one:

"Do you think our continued presence in Iraq without a broad alliance of people who speak arabic and pharsi will lead to an ultimate victory and success?"

I'd vote "no" on that one too.

Lets see some harder and better questions, please.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:13 pm
I think I meant to type "we can't get rid of these Republicans fast enough" but I sort of like the sound of my mistake:

We can get rid of these republicans fast enough.

Fast enough for jazz; fast enough to see peace in our lifetimes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:15 pm
Whoops, I forgot.

I spent a lot of time working to help Lloyd Dogget get re-elected here in Texas.

Stupid redistricting bullcrap! Makes me mad.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:19 pm
Ah yes, Gerrymandering in Texas. We've heard about that!

The fourth statement is a bit unclear.

You have no "all of the above" or multiple option choices.

I discuss, volunteer, and donate. There is a lot at stake.

Get out and do it. And vote early and vote always.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:22 pm
padmasambava criticizing leading questions:

padmasambava wrote:
Your questionaire demonstrates the basic flaw of polls. They tend to ask leading questions.

padmasambava criticizing pollsters for not asking leading questions:

padmasambava wrote:
And they tend to evade specific questions that address moral and ethical issues that might tend to make a particular candidate look bad.

padmasambava asking leading questions:

padmasambava wrote:
"When the Iraqi terrorists murder children and wound our soldiers does it increase our justification for being there without a 'broad alliance' that includes a broad base of Arabs, Turkish Muslims and Persians?"

"Do you think our continued presence in Iraq without a broad alliance of people who speak arabic and pharsi will lead to an ultimate victory and success?"

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:33 pm
I did some work for Rick Lazio's campaign against Hillary, that's about it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 01:01 pm
I usually carry at least a half dozen votes with me but haven't actually worked hard for a campaign since they screwed the one fellow that could have fixed this mess.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38081000/jpg/_38081979_perot_150.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 01:09 pm
padmasambava wrote:
We can get rid of these incompetent Republicans fast enough.

I didn't enter anything into your questionaire because I don't care for the questions. [..]

Your questionaire demonstrates the basic flaw of polls. They tend to ask leading questions. And they tend to evade specific questions that address moral and ethical issues that might tend to make a particular candidate look bad.

Hey padmasambava, I sure share your sentiment on the Republicans. As for this poll's questions, how would you have liked them to be formulated? If you're fast I can still change them, you know (I think?).

padmasambava wrote:
Here's a questionaire question I'd like to see:

Here's another tough one:

Whoa! Err, I'm sorry, but if I've ever seen two leading questions, it be these. Again, I appreciate the sentiments, but these are questions that basically already imply to the respondent what the answer should be.

padmasambava wrote:
Lets see some harder and better questions, please.

Feel free to start your own poll! Razz
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 01:20 pm
Personally I would never give money to a campaign. There are so many more needy charitable organizations where I feel my money would be better suited. I really do not like the thought of candidates getting donations from the public. However, I can fully understand volunteering for a candidate if you feel strongly about that person.

I have been approached when walking around Boston about supporting Kerry financially. My comment is I do not give money to political campaigns. My company has also sent around emails for certain level positions on up to contribute to a certain PAC. The email almost made it sound as if you were a horrible employee if you did not contribute. It made me a little angry. Your political opinion should not be pushed by your place of employment.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 01:22 pm
No, I guess I can't actually change the poll questions or add options anymore ... well, that makes sense I guess, otherwise you could retroactively make people have voted for things they didn't vote for.

If I could have changed something I would have added one option - "Yes, I'm both volunteering and donating". If that's you, just vote for having volunteered - I personally consider that a 'deeper' contribution than just sending money (unless you're, like, George Soros ;-)).

As for both volunteering and "discussing the issues with friends and acquaintances", well that's kind of self-evident, isn't it - anyone who's a volunteer will also most likely discuss stuff with friends. So just go for the "highest" that applies to you ...

padmasambava wrote:

0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 04:20 pm
nimh wrote:
No, I guess I can't actually change the poll questions or add options anymore ... well, that makes sense I guess, otherwise you could retroactively make people have voted for things they didn't vote for.

If I could have changed something I would have added one option - "Yes, I'm both volunteering and donating". If that's you, just vote for having volunteered - I personally consider that a 'deeper' contribution than just sending money (unless you're, like, George Soros ;-)).

As for both volunteering and "discussing the issues with friends and acquaintances", well that's kind of self-evident, isn't it - anyone who's a volunteer will also most likely discuss stuff with friends. So just go for the "highest" that applies to you ...

padmasambava wrote:

I don't have the money to donate but I am volunteering on the Bush campaign in my hometown. I will be manning phones in the last few days of the election.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 04:27 pm
Well, for once, I find myself among the majority here ... how refreshing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 04:40 pm
Wrong election I know Nimh - but I am certainly actively involved in the one here - as a volunteer.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 04:42 pm
I donate money, but not time. I should be doing it the other way around.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 05:53 pm
back in april i spent some time volunteering at kerry headquarters. i figured he needed all the help he could get-- the headquarters occupied two floors of some very expensive real estate and they were incredibly disorganized. beer bottles, pizza boxes...the paid people were working 14 hour days and they were edgyworking long hours but not working smart... i stopped going.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:16 pm
Huh, who'da guessed. :razz:
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:12 pm
yeah OCCOM, and they were a humorless bunch i might add. no slices of swiss on their heads, that's for sure.

i'd rather hang out with a repubican with cheese on their head than anyone of them...
0 Replies