Labeling Millions of People

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 12:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
I thought that at first Luther thought all the Jews would flock to this new focus of Christianity; however, when Jews seemed to feel that the original version of Christianity is what they usually wanted, his friendliness changed.
Actually, at first he was what easily could be called 'anti-Semitic' today, only later (from 1525 onward) he became a bit more 'friendly'.

Oh, you mean after he left the Catholic church.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 12:34 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Yes, he was a protest-ant.
And he was the first (German) who coined the word "evangelical" for his theological writings. (The reason was quite simple: he showed by it that it was a 'new theology'.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 12:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't think it was when we've been in Bonn but a couple of years earlier, when we've met in Hamburg Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 12:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You're probably right, because my memory has been failing me of late. My short term memory is all but gone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 12:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Luther is well known for his his virulent anti-Jewish statements and writings

I always find this so odd. The Lutheran church I have experience in was very much like going to temple. In fact, the first time I went to an event at a synagogue was the first time I felt comfortable in a different place of worship as it was so much like my hometown Lutheran group. The building didn't matter, The leaders didn't matter. What mattered was speaking directly to one's god.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 01:45 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

I always find this so odd.
When you look at the reason (and background): it isn't.
Simply said: Luther, who was quite knowable in Hebrew, opposed strongly what he called the influence of rabbis on the text of the bible. That's why even in his later days he called for burning synagogues and Tanakhs.
Miller

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 03:01 pm
@Randy71,
Randy71:

Quote:
"Before you judge any other innocent people, you should take a good look at yourself but you'll probably puke when you do".

Spoken like a true Trump, A-hole!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 01:50 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

I always find this so odd. The Lutheran church I have experience in was very much like going to temple. In fact, the first time I went to an event at a synagogue was the first time I felt comfortable in a different place of worship as it was so much like my hometown Lutheran group. The building didn't matter, The leaders didn't matter. What mattered was speaking directly to one's god.

Bingo!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 01:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Luther,... opposed strongly what he called the influence of rabbis on the text of the bible.

What he opposed were the methods used by Rabbis in the past and present, to translate Hebrew text. The methods go far beyond a simple translation of the written word.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 03:58 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
What he opposed were the methods used by Rabbis in the past and present, to translate Hebrew text. The methods go far beyond a simple translation of the written word.
Well, I read just what he wrote about it. Might well be that you know better what he actually thought.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 05:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

There are some people who are not content with strongly disagreeing with their fellow Americans, they have to hate them.

I don't want to imagine what it takes to arouse them in bed at night.

Wait, everyone. Here's Finn doing his "Righteous indignation" bit. Oooh, ain't he impressive? Just makes you want to mourn in sackcloth or self-flagellate or something, doesn't it?

Putz.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 08:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

I always find this so odd.
When you look at the reason (and background): it isn't.

Were you raised in a Lutheran church in Canada?

If not, I find it quite odd that you would comment in this way on the experience of being in a Canadian Lutheran congregation in the 1960's and 1970's.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 08:41 am
@ehBeth,
I wrote about Luther (and the period when he lived), not about any Lutheran church today or in Canada.
0 Replies