Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 04:24 pm
My father was a commanding officer at Wright field during world war two, head of photography. He had an earlier history as a long time film editor - twenties and thirties, in Hollywood, and volunteered. I have copies of letters by him begging to be accepted in early '42 (bad eyes), when they just had gotten a house in L.A. and me, probably squalling. My mother was a good typist.

I was a baby; we lived next to the field in Dayton. I think a lot of the films may have been training films. I think the Dayton field was important, but I don't know. In retrospect, he was always tired, I mostly saw my mother, memories when I was four. I remember loving my parents, nothing awful. Also, pabulum, and snow and a tiny shovel. He built a sandbox for me in our front yard.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 04:29 pm
I don't have any memories of my father. He died in 1948 at age 33. I last saw him at age three or four.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 04:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not to be nosy, I will guess you had wonderings. Stuff you learned.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 05:14 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I had almost no knowledge of him until I got my first computer. It did not take long to find his death on Ancestry.com. He had been working in the fields in Oregon, then went down to California, where he was almost immediately killed with a tire iron for his car. The man was caught, but I don't know his sentence.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 05:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I figure you have complex feelings.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 05:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
A lifetime of them.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 05:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
My dad had a horribiloma of later life.

We are different, but I understand you more than most others.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 07:12 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I had a step father, but I never regarded him as my parent, except in the rarest instances. He ought to have been stuffed with nails, as Eliza Dolittle might have said of him.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 07:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'll talk more tomorrow.

Meantime, anybody else? My father's stuff is complicated and I will add to it, but, no hurry.

Interested in everyone else.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 03:33 am
My father was an authoritarian bully, who had no capacity for feeling affection. From the age of about 7 I knew this about him, and devoted a lot of my energy and resources to circumventing his cruelty. Energy and resources that I later saw should have been better spent. It has taken much of my adult life to recover. I did not see him from 1985 onwards. He died in 2013 aged 92. My mother died when i was 14, and I spent a lot of the time after that feeling bitter that she did not stand up against him.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 03:57 am
follow
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 07:49 am
My father died one year older than I am right now. Of a condition that (at the time of diagnosis) was 50% hereditary. So far my brother and I haven't shown any symptoms (he was diagnosed 5 years before his death).

He was a cool (in a good way) guy in many ways - but we had some rough patches and he was away a lot when I was young (up till about age 10).

Considering he and mum were 21 and 19 when I was conceived - he did pretty good. (Better than I would have at 21. Or 31. Or ever)
0 Replies

vishal1

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 11:54 pm
I have many memories of my father ,he is very nice person,he support me everywhere. so i like my father.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 12:11 am
@ossobucotemp,
I never knew my father. I was raised by my aunt and uncle in the desert. When I was 18 I met a friend of my father's. They were in the ear together. I found out he was a fighter pilot. Something my aunt and uncle never mentioned or wanted to talk about. My mother died shortly after I was born, from complications during delivery. After hearing stories about my father from his friend, I wanted to join the military. I guess it was to connect with him in a way.
0 Replies