The Great Fire Of London started 400 years ago today.

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 02:51 am
And we'll be celebrating with a set of stamps.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/C990/production/_91000615_stamp2.jpg

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/117B0/production/_91000617_stamp3.jpg

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/16F3A/production/_91001049__stamp.jpg

Quote:
The 350th anniversary of the Great Fire of London is being commemorated with a set of six new stamps.

The fire raged across the city from 2 to 5 September 1666, destroying more than 13,000 houses and 87 churches.

The stamps are designed by comic book artist John Higgins, who has used a graphic novel style of illustration.

They feature scenes from the start, spread and aftermath of the Great Fire, using a street map design.

Higgins has contributed to titles such as Judge Dredd and 2000 AD.
Philip Parker, from Royal Mail, said: "Despite the terrible devastation caused by the Great Fire, it provided the opportunity for the regeneration of large swathes of the city and shaped the London we know today.

"It was the catalyst of the building of iconic landmarks such as St Paul's Cathedral and dozens of parish churches.

"It is fitting that we mark the anniversary of the fire with an innovative set of stamps that re-imagine the events."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37247565
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,073 • Replies: 35

saab

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 03:31 am
Thanks for the interesting stamps and also remining us of this historical and also tradig event.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 03:45 am
Learned this at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, 1957, and older version"London's burning, London's burning, Look yonder, look yonder, And we have no water, and we have no water"

roger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 03:56 am
@MontereyJack,
Cheerful looking bunch, aren't they. At least the adults are having a great time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 04:00 am
@MontereyJack,
the look on the kid with the blue sweat shirt has that "what the **** is it with you people"?
You dont hear any goodHiroshima or Glen Canyon fire songs do ya? Theres probably a reason

"Get me outta here next thing were gonna be learning is about cereal killers"
roger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 04:09 am
@farmerman,
Yeah. Like I say, it's the grownups that are looking all happy and proud of themselves.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 04:14 am
Check your math.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 04:23 am
@Setanta,
good point
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 06:06 am
Sorry 350 years ago. (I'd not been awake long.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 08:22 am
@izzythepush,
360 years ago was the until then largest European town fire: Aix-la-Chapelle was destroyed nearly completely (90% of the town burnt down, fortunately only 17 persons were killed).
Interesting is that this fire in Aix-la-Chapelle only became so immense because of rumors ... that the Protestants made an uproar and got powder from the powder towers. The tolling of the church bells was interpreted as an alarm related to that - all previous attempts to extinguish the fires were stopped, gates were closed and the citizens went to the arms ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 08:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Museum of London has launched a Great Fire of London website to mark the 350th anniversary of the blaze, tracking the course of the fire that broke out in the small hours of 2 September 1666, and over four days tore the heart out of the medieval city.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 08:57 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You dont hear any goodHiroshima or Glen Canyon fire songs do ya?

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 10:52 am
@izzythepush,
the word modifying songs was "good".
Not some pices of garage band crap.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 01:17 pm
@farmerman,
This is Phil Collins all over again.

Btw, Ultravox and OMD are as much a jazz combo as they are a garage band.
farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 01:24 pm
@izzythepush,
so? you listren to garage band crap , I lkie some of Phil Collins.
Theres good music and theres bad music, thats all. Not all an artists music is "always good or always bad"

Youre just easily impressed by techno ****.

ACtually my fav music is hard bop jazz andsome progressive. That pos you offered with the "Enola Gay" title was rely a stinkeroo.

Eric satie of rock.

SOme of the college stations play **** like that to make it appear that they are really in touch with something. One night my nephew called me re the PRinceton station was plying a something "really neat" by WAlter Piston. I said that he too was easily impressed with a single harmonic played for several minutes.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 01:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Ultravox and OMD are as much a jazz combo as they are a garage band.
so you dont deny that what you offered up sounded like a garage band.
farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 01:30 pm
@farmerman,
I guess that Daniel Defoe was the only honest writer about how the plague was eradicated in 1665
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 01:31 pm
@farmerman,
I do deny it. They're 80s synth pop. It's nothing like garage.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 01:36 pm
mark
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 01:54 pm
farmerman says:
Quote:
You dont hear any goodHiroshima or Glen Canyon fire songs do ya? Theres probably a reason

Here;s one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp3Yp8g4YDU
0 Replies