A Cat's Depressing Choices

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 12:15 pm
My cat, Smitty, is ten years old and has recently been diagnosed with asthma and has some sort of skin allergy. The medical bills and ongoing treaments have become so costly that I am unable to properly care for both of my cats.

Do I put Smitty in a animal shelter where he is sure to live out his remaining days confined and stressed-out until he is put down? Or do I euthanize him at home without being certain if I am performing the procedure humanely?

Another choice would be to have the mobile vet come to my home, but what if the mobile vet says no?

dalehileman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:33 pm
@rockford,
Rock, do you perhaps have a gun
jespah

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 02:12 pm
@rockford,
You won't know if the vet says no unless you ask.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 04:31 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Rock, do you perhaps have a gun

Where were you raised, may I ask?
snood

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 04:32 pm
@rockford,
Sorry for your trouble rockford. I have two old cats I've had since they were kittens, and I dread the day I inevitably will have to make those decisions.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 04:58 pm
@snood,
Quote:
may I ask?
Of course Snood, of course you may, but why
snood

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 05:05 pm
@dalehileman,
Here's my thinking: That you were making a good faith suggestion that seemed reasonable according to your life experience. It wasn't something I happen to find a reasonable alternative, probably because of my life experience. I was raised mostly suburban, lower middle class, military brat.
If you were raised in a rural setting, or in an area where guns were ubiquitous, it might seem perfectly normal for you to suggest a longtime owner of a cat end his pet's life with a bullet to it's head.
I'm thinking that what someone considers normal and casual has something to do with where and how they were raised.

That's why I asked.
rockford

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 05:34 pm
@dalehileman,
No gun.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 05:39 pm
@rockford,
Your cat is still comparatively young. I'd suggest reaching out to a local rescue group to see if your cat can be moved to another home.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:19 pm
@snood,
Quote:
someone considers normal and casual
Thanks Snood for explaining your position. Can't say I consider it casual, was being flippant
snood

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 10:38 pm
@dalehileman,
Well, that's different. Why do you think it's okay to be flippant to someone about putting their beloved pet to sleep?
chai2

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 10:54 pm
I was actually telling a friend about this thread over dinner.

He suggested there might be less expensive alternative medicines, or as ehbeth suggested, looking up organizations that might be able to help with the costs, or find placement.

Perhaps the poster knows someone who would like such a pet for company?

In addition, none of us know how bad off this animal is.

Rather than end the life of a creature that could still have years of contentment, I personally would put a huge effort into find a place that would take the animal.

Or actually, more than likely, I would find some area in my personal budget to cut so I could afford the medications.

Unless I was on the verge of not being able to afford healthy food or a roof over my head, I think I'd find a way to put that money aside.

A pet is not a disposible item.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 04:53 am
@chai2,
there are a number of no-kill organizations. We support such a shelter in Calais Maine called "PAWS" (it is an acronym ) and I know of several in the Maryland area (Our state laws somehow fail to recognize no-kill shelters as valid enterprises).

These shelters take animals (with a small donation and have it live out its life. )

Weve gotten all of our Coon cats through PAWS, and they are the kind of people I would trust a life pal to. I would not be quick to end the cats life,(If you reach a euthenasia decision just for your convenience perhaps you should refrain from being a pet owner in the future)

My father was a cat hater at first, till I started picking up a few strays when Id walk home from school. We ultimately had two cats as pets to which my dad set down rules and limits of their cohabitation in our house. He did gradually "warm-up" to the idea that these things were just as dependent on us as were his champion setters. (It was really nice seeing my dad secretly petting one or both of the cats and talking to them in that ridiculous voice we all use when talking to cats or babies,as he sat on the back porch).
Our dogs were spoken to just as wed talk to the guys at the garage. I must say though that my dad gradually became a total cat-nut and was very protective of our pets and as far as strays, we always were able to find good homes for them.
I remember my dad running an ass-backward con-job on some local family (with10 dollars cash money and a kitten) all as a prize by winning a pool match to be run by our local "clubhouse" . Afetr it was over, My dad purposely lost the pool match with the idea that he was just a tournament player trying to win hi own 10 bucks (and the kitty of course). HE NEVER lost at pool.
We worked these people really good and the pool tournament was held at the local fire company where my dad was a volunteer driver and fireman. They had a bar and a restaurant which was a social center of our rural community(Especially on Sundays when all the bars in PA were shut down with the exception of social clubs with licensed restaurants). Lots of big deals transpired at that fire company bar, and the "great 9 ball cat caper" as we referred to the event, Is a happy memory of my youth where I discovered that being totally honest sometimes has a less desirable outcome than practicing a bit of well meaning larceny.

The cat got a home.

The pool tournament winner felt good about himself in front of his kids.

My dad was gonna pay to find a home for the cat (10 bucks in the lqte 50's was a decent sized bag of groceries). He scored a lotta points with the firemens beneficial society, he was no longer this "hardass army vet with a chip".(He was, some years later, elected the chairman of the firehouse social and beneficial society)

I learned a lesson aboutthe Platonic "good"

I sat there , while my dad lost at pool. I quietly drank my orange soda with big ice cubes, fully aware that it was our overall plan to get a home for this little fuzzy cat in whatever means seemed appropriate. That was ok with me , I was about 8 and I think I was full of all these moral questions that 8 year olds can cook up. (I know my kids did)
"Jag" the bar tender (his real name was Jagenski), knew how I liked my "Strait ups". And he would find and load up my glass with these really neat big chunks of ice and Id clank em and drink my soda like one of the real drunks who were the regulars. ( I dont know how these guys were ever put on a duty roster whenever it was their turn to be sober enough to put out a fire). Jag was also in on it, and he gave my dad a couple of beers "on the house" when it was all over and , after all happened, the fire company put up the 10 dollar bet that was attached to the cat. The new cat owner never suspected that he was but a "mark" of a well planned trick formed by a guy and his kid.

The cat had a nice life at its new home. They gave the cat some kind of pool-hustler name.(I forget which one but it was the fact that the cats new owner was able to regale his relatives of his billiard skills, that assured the cat of a long life, and the conferred name of a pool hustler was almost a prerequisite)

rockford

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 07:12 am
@chai2,
Thank you for responding. I have contacted several shelters. They all say Smitty's medical conditions, as I mentioned in my initial post, virtually make him unplaceable.

I have had both my cats, they are brothers, since adopting them from the shelter 10 years ago.

This is not easy. Your inference is condescending and judgmental that I am simply disposing a pet like trash.

I have 11 feral's on my property that I feed daily, and have been feeding for a year.

Due to health concerns of my own, I had to leave a job for a job that pays much less, and I am on the verge of becoming homeless.

My cats, my heart and soul, and the feral's are suffering the fall out.

I resent your accusation.
0 Replies

rockford

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 07:22 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you. Have reached out and still looking for any and all resources for help. Because Smitty is medicated with prednizilone every day for his asthma and skin allergy, the vet says he could be dead in two years.

The flovent, for his asthma, costs $250.00 a month, but first I need to adapt Smitty to the chamber before I can begin administering the flovent.

This is so that once Smitty's system is clear of the prednizolone, I can take him to a skin allergist and that will cost an additional $500.00 plus.

Of all the shelters and feline rescue organizations, none has offered assistance except to suggest I surrender Smitty to a shelter.
rockford

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 08:26 am
@chai2,
Apologies. No sleep.
rockford

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 08:30 am
@farmerman,
We have a place that will take cats for $5000.00 and let them live out their lives out on a large compound.

Thank you, I will see if there is a PAWS here in California.

If not, I see no other alternative but to surrender my boys to a shelter. Come what may.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 08:58 am
@rockford,
rockford wrote:

Apologies. No sleep.

Apology accepted.

I certainly meant no insult.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 10:47 am
@snood,