Paul Ryan, OUR NEXT PRESIDENT

RABEL222

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 06:40 pm
@Setanta,
Right you are, and I wish more democrates realized the importance of that over all the stupid garbage they are arguing about in the political arena. Im not saying your a democrat just agreeing that priorities are screwed up in the democratic party.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 06:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
youve projected on other issues (eg )gun related tht turned out to be right about hlf the time.

Not really.

I did project the 2014 Olympic figure skating results, but my accuracy was good enough that if it were one of those March basketball brackets I would have won decisively.

I did poorly on a Supreme Court prediction. I did correctly notice a pattern regarding the rulings, but because I missed one thing I had the pattern inversed, and therefore was wrong on every single ruling. But being 100% wrong was just as interesting as being 100% right. It showed that the pattern that I recognized was really there.

I've never really made any gun-related predictions before this one.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:58 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Well, he didn't want the office. That alone would make him a better president than anyone else running.

You believe he doesn't want to be president, huh? Were you also shocked when he changed his mind and agreed to be speaker?

If I had to say what, in my opinion, were distinguishing qualities that stood out during his early exposure to national media when he ran for veep, one was raw ambition.

I think he wants to be president, absolutely.
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 05:43 am
@snood,
I think he may turn out to be a stealth progressive. He is just now beginning to discover the core misogyny , plutocracy, and racism, within the GOP .

snood

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 06:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I think he may turn out to be a stealth progressive. He is just now beginning to discover the core misogyny , plutocracy, and racism, within the GOP .

What tipped you off to this blossoming enlightenment?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 07:05 am
@snood,
Quote:
You believe he doesn't want to be president, huh?
I don't actually know Ryan well enough to know.
I was making the general statement that anyone who truly wanted the job is not fit for it.

I know that I would definitely not want it. But if by some miracle I was asked in the same way that Ryan was asked to be Speaker, things are so F'ed up now that I would feel obligated to consider accepting.
snood

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 07:25 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
You believe he doesn't want to be president, huh?
I don't actually know Ryan well enough to know.
I was making the general statement that anyone who truly wanted the job is not fit for it.

I know that I would definitely not want it. But if by some miracle I was asked in the same way that Ryan was asked to be Speaker, things are so F'ed up now that I would feel obligated to consider accepting.

Of course nobody posting on A2K "knows" Ryan. We are expressing opinions. I understand the general statement that anyone wanting the POTUS job is not fit for it. It's certainly clever, but it's not exactly a truism. I'm sure there have been competent presidents that actually wanted the job. On the other hand, I think the sentiment applies to Ryan. I see him as sort of an empty suit careerist - notwithstanding all the hype about how "smart" he's supposed to be.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 08:16 am
I think Ryan would be very happy to be President, but at the same time, he knows that he would be completely illegitimate if he was selected as the candidate without getting a single vote in a primary. He'll wait four to eight years. He's also in a tough place where he would have to run for both his house seat and the President at the same time unless he decides not to run again for the House. Those pesky senators often don't have that problem.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 09:16 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
things are so F'ed up now that I would feel obligated to consider accepting.

For the most part, for the most people in American history, things are actually going really well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:13 am
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ted-cruz-not-paul-ryan-would-probably-win-a-contested-convention/

Quote:
Ted Cruz, Not Paul Ryan, Would Probably Win A Contested Convention
The ‘establishment’ might not like Cruz, but the delegates likely will.

interesting piece on how the Republican numbers work

small segment

Quote:
with Donald Trump’s path to 1,237 delegates looking tenuous, especially after his loss in Wisconsin on Tuesday night, it’s a real possibility. And it’s not hard to see how Republicans might think of Kasich or Ryan as good nominees. If Republicans were starting from scratch, both might be pretty good picks, especially from the perspective of the party “establishment” in Washington.

But Republicans won’t be starting from scratch, and the “establishment” won’t pick the party’s nominee. The 2,472 delegates in Cleveland will. And most of them will be chosen at state or local party conventions a long way from Washington. Few will be household names, having quietly attended party gatherings in Fargo, North Dakota, or Cheyenne, Wyoming, for years with little remuneration or recognition. Although the proverbial Acela-riding insiders might dream of Ryan or Kasich, there are indications that the rank-and-file delegates are into Ted Cruz — and they’re the ones who will have votes in Cleveland.

To recap a bit, the Republican presidential voting process is separate from the delegate selection process in most states. In South Carolina, for instance, most delegates are selected through a series of county, congressional district and state conventions. Although those delegates are bound to Trump (who won the state’s primary on Feb. 20) on the first ballot, they could peel off and vote for another candidate after that.1
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:21 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
there are indications that the rank-and-file delegates are into Ted Cruz — and they’re the ones who will have votes in Cleveland.
Really? I thought the delegates were assigned per the results of the primaries and only bound to him for the first vote.

With few exceptions, I see no evidence that anyone is 'into' Ted Cruz.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:21 am
Ryan said to day there will be no presidential bid from him.
revelette2

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:28 am
What is this I keep hearing about Colorado not voting but just sending in delegates?

Trump threatens to challenge Colorado delegates
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:37 am
@Brand X,
It is a smart decision on his part. 2016 could well be destructive for the GOP.
If he can work hard to help keep the party's majority in the House amid the chaos at the top and work hard to make Congress function again, he will be a major factor in 202o.
0 Replies

tvfan

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:38 pm
@oralloy,
With Der Drumpfenfueher unable even to understand longstanding delegate rules and an approval rating well below 50% of his own minority party, it is unlikely he will win over millennials, women, LGBT, immigrants, or racial minorities. If he wins the nomination outright: chaos. If he is thwarted: chaos. And if the biggest fraud in Congress thinks his deadly supply side budget of unicorns and rainbows meets the standards of any competent economist, he can keep on refusing the thrice-offered crown like Caesar, but it may not be offered that often. He's already unable to whip his own party into voting their own budget rather than shut down the government.

The smirking Canadian, even though anointed by the one true god, may thwart Drumpf's drive toward a first ballot victory, but after that, he'll be dumped by every party politician who hates him (i.e. everyone). Leaving Lyin' Raynd? Not a chance.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 03:56 am
@tvfan,
you auditioning for a stand up gig? Remember, timing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 04:32 pm
Robert Reich
5 hrs ·
Paul Ryan – who repeatedly said he didn’t want to be Speaker of the House before becoming Speaker of the House, and who now says he doesn’t want to be the Republican candidate for President – is creating a giant fundraising machine, fueled by some of America’s wealthiest people and largest corporate political action committees, according to an election filing made public yesterday.
Most of Ryan's haul in the first quarter of 2016 came from donors and PACS that gave him more than $50,000 a pop. Charles Koch gave him almost half a million in March alone.
Being Speaker of the House is a natural magnet for big money. And that money is a natural step to a presidential campaign. The Republican establishment wants Ryan – and is counting on a “brokered” Republican convention in July to give him the nomination.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 05:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
he didnt say the"magic words" that he shall not seek, nor will he accept, the nomination for President of the US"

Lyin Ryan, I like that
maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 05:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

he didnt say the"magic words" that he shall not seek, nor will he accept, the nomination for President of the US"

Lyin Ryan, I like that

Sure sounds like he said the magic words

Let me be clear: I do not want, nor will I accept the Republican nomination," Ryan said. "I am not going to be our party’s nominee."

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 05:29 pm
@maporsche,
hmm, when did he say that?
When I heard the radio yesterday, the reporters were repeating what Ryan didnt say, and the "magic phrase was it" ARE YOU SURE HE ACTUALLY SAID THAT OR WAS IT JUST REPORTED THAT HE SAID THAT.
He sounds like that he would accept a draft.

Lyin Ryan