Sentences with "not"

dylan22

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 05:06 pm
I am an English learner and have a question to the following American-English conversation, so can a native American-English Speaker please help me?

Bryan: But they are not the same then.
Cathy: No they aren´t.

The "no" confuses me. So I ask myself what Cathy want's to say with her answer:
a) That's wrong. In my opinion they are the same.
b) I agree, They are not the same.

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 05:17 pm
@dylan22,
Cathy is emphasizing that the things under discussion are not the same. If she meant to contradict Bryan's statement, she misspoke. By the way, this would be the same were one dicussing British usage.
dylan22

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 12:28 pm
@Setanta,
Thx. So all in all both (Bryan and Cathy) agree that the things they are talking about are not the same?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 01:38 pm
@dylan22,

Quote:

Bear in mind this is a reported conversation. It is not in perfect English.

I would amend it thus:
Bryan: So they are not the same then?

Cathy is agreeing with Bryan's deduction that they are not the same.
dylan22

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 02:42 pm
@McTag,
Thx, but the original conversation is in the opening post:

In this original conversation both (Cathy and Bryan) agree that the things they are talking about are not the same?
Glennn

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 05:54 pm
@dylan22,
McTag is right.

I would also place a comma before the word then.
dylan22

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 06:24 pm
@Glennn,
But the conversation is not written by myself. It is:

So here both (Cathy and Bryan) agree that the things they are talking about are not the same?

chai2

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 06:54 pm
@dylan22,
Well, so whoever wrote it did it incorrectly.

It should have a comma after "no"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 07:25 pm
@dylan22,
I agree, they are not the same.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 07:52 pm
@dylan22,
Quote:
But the conversation is not written by myself.

I see.

Nevertheless, it was written incorrectly by whomever wrote it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:04 pm
@Glennn,
Ask not what the country can do for you.
0 Replies

dylan22

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 06:02 am
@Glennn,
Ok I understand, but I want to interpretate the original conversation, so can you pleass help me?

So here both (Cathy and Bryan) agree that the things they are talking about are not the same?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 06:40 am
Glennn is wrong. The sentences are not incorrect. (As well, Glennn's English is poor--it would be "whoever" wrote it, not "whomever"--whoever is the subjective, whomever is the objective.) Not only is the second sentence not incorrect, this type of locution is common among English speakers. Yes, Bryan and Cathy agree that the things are not the same.

Finally, one would "interpret," not "interpretate." I understand that it would seem that the noun interpretation derives from a verb, interpretate, but no such verb exists.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 08:45 am
Setanta is wrong. The first sentence, in the context given, is not correct. That sentence should be begin with the word so. Setanta also failed to catch the error in the first sentence where there should have been a comma placed before the word then. Furthermore, Setanta was also incorrect when he implied that Glennn had indicated that both sentences are wrong. Glennn did no such thing.

Also, Setanta has made the obvious mistake of emphasizing words by placing quotation marks around them. He should have set them off using bold print or italics. He compounded his error by being inconsistent in his method of setting off a word, as he bold printed the word no in his second sentence. And as if to add insult to injury, he used both italics and bold to emphasize that word. Using either would be correct, but certainly not both.
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 08:54 am
@Glennn,
You're a jackass, and apparently a thin-skinned one at that. There is no good reason to assert that "so" should have been used, rather than "but." The use of commas is a stylistic consideration, and not the subject of any "rules." The use of italic and boldface are only available to us because we are posting online at a site which permits their use, and certainly is not the subject of any "rules."

Basically Glennn was wrong in his statement of the case, as well as in his silly use of whomever, so now he is lashing out--although all he can come up with is nit-picking. I don't have lice, so i have no nits to pick. Apparently the case is different with Glennnnn.
mark noble

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 08:59 am
@dylan22,
"aren't = are not"
n't = Not
except when speaked quickedly.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 09:06 am
@Setanta,
Wrong again. The first person to call the other a name is the thin-skinned one. That should be obvious.

Also using the word but instead of so would indicate that there was some contention concerning the issue. But Cathy's response indicates so such contention. Therefore, the word so is appropriate.

The use of italics and boldface are to be used when one is using a computer. You only use quotation marks to set off words when using a typewriter or handwriting. You should know this.

Furthermore, if you don't place a comma before the word then in the the first sentence, it indicates a point in time. You should use a comma when you mean to indicate when something has been decided. You should know that.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 09:23 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
although all he can come up with is nit-picking. I don't have lice, so i have no nits to pick.

Don't you find it odd that you characterize being corrected by another as an act of nit-picking. But when you do it, it's somehow not nit-picking?

Also, you failed to capitalize the Iin your second to last sentence. I only bring this up to offer you an example of some real nit-picking.
mark noble

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 09:29 am
@Glennn,
Not having a 'setanta' figure or that promiscuous partner of his, in "any given classroom" (Mine) Go read at Oxford, would compel folk to failure. It's a necessary evil, Glenn.
0 Replies

dylan22

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:11 am
@Glennn,
Wheter wrong or not, I asked about the meaning of the original discussion, so can you please tell me your opinion?