Hosed me down with criticisms

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 03:51 am
My parents, hosed me down with criticisms that I did not see the likes of until then, but to my utter disbelief my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr started showering me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

Any errors?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 786 • Replies: 12

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 03:58 am
@kuben123,
Only one error that I can see: the comma after parents. Hosed me down is a good vivid metaphor.
kuben123

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 02:04 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
My parents hosed me down with criticisms that I had not seen the likes of until then, to my utter disbelief my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr started showering me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

Better ?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 02:13 pm
@kuben123,
It was better the first time.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 02:45 pm
@kuben123,
Quote:
I did not see the likes of until then,

To me, this is awkward and it's unclear to me what you're really trying to say.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 02:53 pm
@kuben123,
you open with a colloquial phrase and then you sink into "fine" writing. Also You use too many words to be interesting and their meanings really dont hang together well.

When it sounds too much like writing , start again--Elmore Leonard
0 Replies

kuben123

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 06:28 am
My parents hosed me down with criticisms that I had not seen the likes of until then, but to my utter disbelief, my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr showered me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

My parents hosed me down with criticisms that I had not seen the likes of until then, but to my utter disbelief, my uncle brushed them aside! Instead, this self-proclaimed martyr started showering me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!

Which is better?
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 07:30 am
@kuben123,
Quote:
this self-proclaimed martyr started showering me with exaltation and salutations. Such resilience and artfulness this man possessed!
This can be stated simpler. with less "fine writing" (that means kind of pompous).

..."this man showered me with sincere praises, all in his unique artful fashion"... ( SELF PROCLAIMED MARTYR,EXALTATION, SALUTATIONS, and RESILIENCE just sound like you're trying to load up the paragraph with fancy phrases and words that do not belong)

engineer

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 01:47 pm
@farmerman,
That's exactly what I thought when I read it. It sounds like someone put every large word they could think of in there and tried to make it work. It would flow better with simpler language and shorter sentences.

I'm not sure "salutations" is used correctly. Once you greet someone, why would you continue to "shower" them with more greetings?
layman

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 01:57 pm
@farmerman,
This guy knew words. He wrote a dictionary. But he still said:

“Do not accustom yourself to use big words for little matters.” (Samuel Johnson)
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 05:52 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Once you greet someone, why would you continue to "shower" them with more greetings?

he he . Sometimes word choices are like paint. they always add color but rarely structure (farmerman book of homilies)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 05:54 am
@layman,
I always liked Elmore Leonards way of saying the same thing. "you aint being paid by the syllable."
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 07:51 am
@kuben123,
After my parents hosed me down with unprecedented criticisms, my uncle had quite surprisingly brushed them all aside and showered me with compliments instead.