Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 02:58 pm
"Born or Emerged from the unknown" still implies there was something other than nothing,

Are there any scriptures to support this line of thinking? I am not finding any.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 03:09 pm
@onevoice,
One, I'm not exactly a Christian but need a bit of context; where do you find this passage, and how does one make the implication
jespah

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 03:48 pm
@onevoice,
I'm not a Christian but I can tell you right now that your premise is a flawed one. The opposite of unknown isn't something. The opposite of unknown is known. Knowing about a void or a nothingness is a perfectly legitimate condition. You are aware of what zero is, and I presume you understand it. But your comprehension of what zero is does not magically turn it into +1.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 03:55 pm
@onevoice,
Do you think the scriptures were written at a time when this concept was understood?
onevoice

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 04:30 pm
@ehBeth,
No! Not at all! Since I have spent the majority of my adult years being taught "Christian" values and ideals, it is the first place I chose to look for where this line of thinking may have come from in my own life. I do understand now that nothing can actually be something in the context of the unknown. (Thank you rosborne!) Probably sounds silly to most of ya, but for me... Understanding this was quite a big step! Now I want to know how it is I got convinced of such foolishness, or for someone to show me, scripturally, where this kind of thing would even be stated in the bible. Cause I can't find it! Smile
onevoice

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 04:31 pm
@dalehileman,
That is exactly what I am trying to find out too!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 05:47 pm
@onevoice,
https://www.cai.org/bible-studies/god-origin-life
Quote:

Some biblical ideas are understood by the inference of the text. Job chapters 38 through 41 are scriptures from which one may validly draw creationist inferences. Quickly read these chapters. How many different life forms does God speak about as Creator? Notice how the creation of the world is always part of the understanding of the creation of life. Could you suggest a reason for this (hint: remember ISAIAH 45:18 above).

Finally, look at ZECHARIAH 12:1. Here the prophet expresses an understanding of origins. What is it? Is it any different than the one in Genesis? This is also the beginning of the reason why we even bother with the debate. God not only has created plant and animal life, birds, fish, and human life, but spiritual life. God has founded this too. The foundation is mentioned briefly in PROVERBS 10:25. What do you think Solomon was referring to?

Now read ISAIAH 28:16-17. This should sound familiar; it is quoted in the New Testament. Who does this passage refer to as the founder? Who is the foundation? Notice, too, that he who believes shall not be disturbed, but the one who does not believe is discussed in the last half of verse 17 and following. Here we have the gospel in the Old Testament just as clearly as in the New. To fill out your understanding of the image, turn to EPHESIANS 2:20-22.

or good old biblehub

http://biblehub.com/genesis/1-1.htm

http://biblehub.com/genesis/1-1.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 05:48 pm
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:

"Born or Emerged from the unknown" still implies there was something other than nothing,

God is considered the something other than nothing.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 06:43 pm
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:
"Born or Emerged from the unknown" still implies there was something other than nothing

No it doesn't. I thought I explained this in the other thread. And I thought you understood what I was saying.

Unknown is still just Unknown, and being born from it or emerging from it does not change the fact that it is still unknown.
onevoice

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 07:02 pm
@rosborne979,
I do understand that! That is why I am asking this question here. I want to find the source of that faulty thinking! Did you not see my thank you to you? Unfortunately I do not think any Christians will put themselves out there in this one, because they are afraid of being proven wrong, maybe? I am especially surprised squeaky hasn't been in here yet posting page upon page of scriptures. I would actually like to hear his opinion on this.
onevoice

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 07:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you ehbeth. I am looking into the info you have presented. I do appreciate it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 07:22 pm
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:
I do understand that! That is why I am asking this question here. I want to find the source of that faulty thinking! Did you not see my thank you to you?

Somehow we are not communicating very clearly here.

The quote you used, "Born or Emerged from the Unknown" is from me, and I certainly didn't find it in any scripture anywhere.
onevoice

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 07:29 pm
@rosborne979,
Well, that would be my fault for not clarifying from the beginning that it is something I have changed my mind about unless someone can prove me wrong scripturally. I'm sorry bud. That seems to be a pattern with me. Yet one more thing to unravel in this mixed up brain of mine! Please be patient with me. I am honestly trying here!
rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 07:45 pm
@onevoice,
I think first you have to state clearly what you are saying before anyone has any hope of answering your question.

Or maybe I'm the only one who doesn't understand what you are asking. I'm not sure any more.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 08:56 pm
@rosborne979,
It seems that onevoice is trying to find the sources of some Christian beliefs she has - and hasn't been able to find them in the scriptures.

It is hard for her to counter your comments/information if she can't figure out where her beliefs came from.
onevoice

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 10:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you ehbeth! I don't know that I could have conveyed that as clearly as you just did. I really appreciate that!
neologist

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 12:11 am
@onevoice,
What are you trying to find out?
mikeymojo

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 12:22 am
@onevoice,
My advise onevoice..quit looking to scripture for your answers. Yes someone who taught scripture helped you when you needed it. That person was helping you with their human nature. He was also pushing scripture on you at the same time. It is what he expected back from you as repayment.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 07:51 pm
@neologist,
Nothing concerning this anymore as a wise man and once told me, "Know when to let go of the things which no longer serve you". I am just simply going to walk away from that faulty thinking now, and move forward onto new and exciting discoveries! Thank you all for your help so far!

@mikey

Thank you. Smile
Johnjohnjohn

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 08:01 pm
@onevoice,
God made everything in 6 days.
What better explanation is there?

An explosion out of nowhere formed us into intelligent beings with body parts for specific functions that make 100% sense, the trees, DNA, spiritual beings Spotted, grass, plants, fruits, food, tools, that also made monkeys that eventually became us?

Or

A being on another level of intelligence that creates us all for a specific function and gave us guidelines to the right way of life in the form of a book?