Lash

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 04:32 am
@izzythepush,
Then you said i approve of depicting Jews with tusks. I didn't make out tusks in my tiny picture. Just an angry face with a star of David eating Stalin. I approve of anyone eating Stalin.
Lash

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 04:38 am
Anyway, i don't think any group is above satire, but I'm not sure that drawing meets the qualifications.

I guess we'd have to agree with the definition - using humor to critique - and then have to agree with what is humorous.

...and then, wouldn't there have to be some type of legitimacy about what the "satire" is claiming? Stalin a Jew puppet?

http://www.theradicalnotion.com/satire-humorous-criticism-insulting-attacks/
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 05:18 am
@Lash,
Sorry that doesn't wash. You could make out Stalin but not the tusks? Really?

Next time don't be so eager with the snappy comebacks, check things out first, (if that's really what happened.) Being contrary for contrary's sake leaves you with egg on your face.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 05:24 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
wouldn't there have to be some type of legitimacy about what the "satire" is claiming? Stalin a Jew puppet?

Yes, that's what Nazi propaganda claimed. Along with Wall Street. This all seems very new to you.
McTag

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 05:37 am
@hawkeye10,

Why doesn't Hillary know how to spell Hilary?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 12:26 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/09/02/kareem-abdul-jabbar-this-is-the-difference-between-donald-trump-and-bernie-sanders/?tid=pm_opinions_pop_b

(I've always liked Kareem, have read his columns sometimes)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 04:45 pm
@izzythepush,
It is new to me. I'm suddenly thankful I didn't hang out with Jew-haters. I never heard the Jews-are-to-blame-for-Stalin.

You consider this view widely-known?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 08:44 pm
Biden Shocks Hillary Crowd by Stating “Bernie Sanders Doing a Helluva Job”

“I’m not a populist. But Bernie Sanders, he’s doing a helluva job,” said Biden, adding “that Bernie Sanders was doing a great job exciting his crowds.”

The room was filled with Hillary Clinton donors, so the comment came as a shock to the room, according to Politico.

http://ringoffireradio.com/2015/09/biden-shocks-hillary-crowd-by-stating-bernie-sanders-doing-a-helluva-job/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 09:16 pm
A Plea to Consider Bernie Sanders
by: Barry Considine Special to the AFROU.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (AP Photo)Sep 2, 2015

http://www.afro.com/a-plea-to-consider-bernie-sanders/

On Sunday evenings my mother would go around reminding her five children to make sure all our dirty clothes were in the basement laundry area by announcing, “The colored girl is coming in the morning make sure your dirty clothes are by the washer.”

Sounds absolutely awful in 2015 but in 1960 it was the norm in many White suburbs. Unlike those in the South, which were depicted in The Help, we didn’t mistreat these hard working women. We learned from them. They taught us the valuable lesson that Blacks and Whites are not that different.

Those are my bona fides a middle-class White guy who thinks that while Hillary Clinton could make a good president, Bernie Sanders would make a great one. The Clintons have done a lot for the Black community. However, when Bill and Hillary were in school, Bernie Sanders was with James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner, three young men who were murdered in 1964 for registering black voters in Mississippi. Those are his bone fides.

I hear from the media that Hillary has the Black vote sewn up. I’m writing to say that we can once again prove the media wrong. Compare each platform idea they put forth. Hillary’s are focus group tested to win the White House. Sen. Sanders says what he means, says what he wants for all Americans and doesn’t care who opposes his ideas. He doesn’t worry that hedge fund managers concentrated in healthcare won’t donate to him. He doesn’t want their money he wants them to go away. He wants single-payer universal healthcare for all. He doesn’t just want affordable college he wants free college.

Bernie Sanders recognizes that if America is going to be a great nation we need to expand and improve public education. Including free college education advances that idea.

Sen. Sanders’ platform is one that will benefit all Americans. More importantly if his policies are enacted the benefit for the Black community is immeasurable. Sec. Clinton represents the middle-ground faction of the DNC. I don’t want the middle ground. I want the high ground.

Barry Considine is a native of Baltimore. He blogs at caseysdream.blogspot.com.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 12:02 am
@Lash,
I think most people are aware that the Nazis had it in for the Jews.
Lash

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 02:02 am
@izzythepush,
That makes them responsible for Stalin?
Lash

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 02:28 am
Robert Reich wrote a beautiful note comparing Bernie to RFK attached to a Post piece about Bernie marching with picketers yesterday in Iowa. I'll bring it later- and yes I see similarities in those two men.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 02:37 am
NY Times responds to readers upset with Sanders coverage http://berniepost.com/2015/09/nyt-responds-readers-upset-bernie-sanders-coverage/ via @theBerniePost
Lash

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 03:38 am
@Lash,
Iowa's feelin the Bern. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/04/bernie-sanders-revolutionary-rhetoric-resonating-conservative-iowa?CMP=fb_us

This is the note former Clinton economic guru, Robert Reich, attached to an article about Bernie's march in a picket line in Iowa. (I love Reich!)

Bernie joined workers in a picket line today at a plant in Iowa, where they're seeking higher wages. The last candidate for president I recall joining a picket line was Robert F. Kennedy in 1968.
For years labor unions have been marginalized or castigated by Republican politicians, and taken for granted by Democratic ones. Every four years the Democratic candidate for president promises organized labor that he or she will push hard for labor law reform once in office, but nothing ever happens. In 2008, Obama committed himself to the "Employee Free Choice Act," which would have strengthened labor protections and enabled workers to organize with a simple majority in an up-or-down vote -- but Obama never followed through. In 1992, Bill Clinton promised labor that if elected he'd make labor law reform a central issue -- but Clinton never pursued it.
Bernie is making stronger promises. He believes, accurately, that the decline of organized labor (from 33% of the private sector workforce in 1955 to less than 7% today) is directly related to the decline of the American middle class. If elected, I believe he'll follow through.

The big Bernie news this week is finally! the media is having to cave to public pressure to address their unconscionable treatment of Bernie. The Times is going to perform an internal audit to assess their culpability in freezing Bernie out of their news reporting. Public pressure is on the rest of the major outlets to do the same.

He's starting to get air time.

Should be all downhill from here - except the blip that will likely happen when somebody gets the balls to attack him - although that may just crush the attacker. We'll see.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 05:04 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I hear from the media that Hillary has the Black vote sewn up. I’m writing to say that we can once again prove the media wrong. Compare each platform idea they put forth. Hillary’s are focus group tested to win the White House. Sen. Sanders says what he means, says what he wants for all Americans and doesn’t care who opposes his ideas. He doesn’t worry that hedge fund managers concentrated in healthcare won’t donate to him. He doesn’t want their money he wants them to go away. He wants single-payer universal healthcare for all. He doesn’t just want affordable college he wants free college.

Unfortunately, one other thing he doesn't worry about or care about...is whether or not he gets elected.

He may tell all those money guys to get lost...and they may. He gets no money; the Democrats get no money; the money NEEDED to win an election in the US goes to the opposition...

...and the Dems lose all the way around.

Quote:
Sen. Sanders’ platform is one that will benefit all Americans.

Actually, it will only help all Americans if he gets elected...and if more Dems get elected in the congress.

Quote:
I don’t want the middle ground. I want the high ground.

Unfortunately, often people holding out for the high ground rather than the middle ground...end up drowning!

If the middle ground is attainable...and the high ground isn't...

...take the middle ground!

Then work from there onto the high ground.

Quote:
Barry Considine is a native of Baltimore. He blogs at caseysdream.blogspot.com.

Barry Considine is naive.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 05:44 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I have to say - even though I agree with this guy's conclusion, that "bona fides" stuff made him seem crazy. He had a black laundress so...what? So, he's an insider on black politics?

Nice conclusion; nutty, disjointed thesis.

Hillary is set to continue the most egregious policies that tip harder against black Americans that her husband so effectively put in place. THAT would have been a far more powerful set of issues to write about.

Bona-fides my arse.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 07:08 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

That makes them responsible for Stalin?

No of course it doesn't. You really don't seem to have a clue about what's going on, or what's happened.

This started off with an exchange between Osso and myself about Ollie's defence of a Charlie Hebdo cartoon which portrayed a black politician as a monkey. I am of the opinion that it's never acceptable, and in answer to her stance on free speech I posted a piece of Nazi propaganda, which of course she did not approve of.

You initially did approve of it due your lack of understanding which seem to have only got worse with every post. Prior to Kristallnacht and the Holocaust the Nazis started a huge propaganda campaign blaming the Jews for everything and claiming they controlled the Communist USSR and the bankers on Wall Street.

I'm amazed that someone like yourself who is so woefully ignorant of recent history is actually employed as a teacher.
Lash

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 08:23 am
@izzythepush,
You make a LOT of assumptions - which I guess explains how a reasonably intelligent guy can wind up clinging to so many ill-thought conclusions.

You used satire to describe the portrayals. I was stopping at that definition for a clarification. And I still say that the image of the so-called Jew behind Stalin carries NO humor nor is it intended to.

You'll need to call it something else.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 08:56 am
@Lash,
I never called it Satire, not once. You have an unerring knack of grabbing hold of the wrong end of the stick, (that is if you can see the stick in the first place.)

Let me try to simplify what has transpired because it shot over your head the first time.

I said that when Satire stops attacking the rich and the powerful and instead focuses on the poor and the vulnerable, especially minorities, it ceases to be Satire.

Osso then spoke of her interactions with Slappy Doo and her commitment to free speech/expression.

That's when I posted a Nazi propaganda poster and asked her if she approved of that as an example of free speech/expression.

That's when you stuck your oar in desperate to prove you didn't know what the **** was going on, and you've been doing that ever since.

Is that any clearer or do I have to dumb it down a bit more?
Lash

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 09:12 am
@izzythepush,
You are a desperately angry man fighting with yourself in a corner. I'll leave you to it.