Second Little Ice Age

rosborne979

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 06:50 pm
@farmerman,
Judging from the ice core graphs I've posted many times, we are at (approximately) the peak of the most recent cycle. I'm not sure anyone really knows what triggers the collapse, but the cycle is very regular. None of the temperature peaks on the graph ever get much higher than where we are now.

I've always believed that the primary factor in the re-glaciation cycle is the thermohaline cycle of the oceans. Once the salinity of the oceans is reduced enough (by the melting of fresh water ice caps) the deep ocean currents stop cycling from surface to floor which halts the main oceanic currents. And it's all downhill from there so to speak.
Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 07:24 pm
@rosborne979,
I didn't now the ocean salinity factor was that well understood. Do have a link to an explanation of what is currently known?
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 03:35 am
@Setanta,
Heres an article about the bouys used for oceanic data (including salinity).
In the Atlantic, some key points are drift bouys deployed on the Grnd Banks, Around Greenland and Gulf of AMine. Many of these are "drift bouys which need downloading by driving up to em and NOAHH and USGS bouys are telemetry)

These are specific to COOK INLET and are among those deployed in the rctic and Bering. University Alaska at Fairbanks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 03:53 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I've always believed that the primary factor in the re-glaciation cycle is the thermohaline cycle of the oceans. Once the salinity of the oceans is reduced enough (by the melting of fresh water ice caps) the deep ocean currents stop cycling from surface to floor which halts the main oceanic currents. And it's all downhill from there so to speak

That's pretty much the input data that the model I spoke of used. However, the outputs of the model are presumptive in that they actually do what you say. They look at a "force distribution which focuses on driving mid ocean streams toward completing their "gyres" in lower and loer latitudes. SO, the Gulf STream , by not reaching Ireland , would predict a glaciation (BUT even the models didn't predict that a glacial event would occur UNLESS certain cycles were lined up.)
SO, as you say, maybe we should be looking more carefully at the intersection of stuff like CHANDLER WOBBLE/ MILANKOVITCH/PRECESSION/ DANSGAARD- ESCHGER CYCLES, and sunspot minima.

You picked it, (that glacial cycles are just that)
That why Ive yet to be satisfactorily convinced about human induced Warming.

Heres a Wiki re: DANSGAARD OESHGER CYCLES (I talk about em and I don't think I posted anything about em)

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 10:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I didn't now the ocean salinity factor was that well understood. Do have a link to an explanation of what is currently known?

Hi Set,

I haven't had time to google the original sources I studied on this, but I happened to come across an article which seemed eerily relevant. Smile

Here is the link http://loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=15-P13-00013&segmentID=3
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 03:26 am
Thanks, Roswell . . . you're a really nice guy . . . i don't care what everyone else says about you . . .
Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 03:28 am
That was really good, Boss . . . short and to the point.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 04:28 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Thanks, Roswell . . . you're a really nice guy . . . i don't care what everyone else says about you . . .
That's probably what my neighbors will say about me after I go postal... "He was a really nice guy, I can't believe he ..." you know. Wink
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 09:26 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
While I do not deny that climate change occurs, the real question is if man is causing it. Think about that... man is causing the climate to change. REALLY? We are that powerful?

Here is the evidence that this increase of temperature in the world is not caused by humans.

The industrial revolution wasn't as great as today's and was found solely in a few countries instead than worldwide in the 1700s, it wasn't as great worldwide as well in the 1800s. The power source was mostly "steam". The use of charcoal came later, and petroleum last.

But, one can see that between the last years of 1800s and the first quarter of 1900s, the glaciers were losing great distances in miles and lots of their thickness.

Humans can't cause such a super fast melting of ice, it was just the beginning of an industrial era.

The pictures below will demonstrate that every attempt to point the fingers on humans as causing the rise of temperature is a FRAUD.

The Reid Inlet in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve in Alaska is seen photographed in 1924. (USGS)

http://dsx.weather.com//util/image/w/Glaciers039_0.JPG?v=at&w=980&h=551&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0

The Reid Inlet in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve in Alaska is seen photographed in 1941. There terminus is barely half as wide as it was in 1924. (National Snow and Ice Data Center)

http://dsx.weather.com//util/image/w/Glaciers040_0.JPG?v=at&w=980&h=551&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0

The pictures from above come from the following website

http://www.weather.com/science/environment/news/glaciers-then-and-now

Note that the rate of melting and losing ground is consistent with a standard path. It can't be that the industrial surge with such a small percent of CO2 sent to the atmosphere created a warming in the entire world temperature in the beginning of the 20th century..

Only fanatics will think that we humans are causing this increase of temperature, when the same losing of ice has been observed in planet Mars.

Here is another example, giving a comparison of the same trend of melting ice between short periods of years.

This photo, taken in 1941, shows the Muir Inlet in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve in Alaska. The lower reaches of Muir Glacier can be seen, as well as a large tidewater calving valley glacier and its tributary, Riggs Glacier. (Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Archive)

http://dsx.weather.com//util/image/w/Glaciers041_0.JPG?v=at&w=980&h=551&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0

This photo, taken in 1950, documents the significant changes that occurred to Muir Glacier in just nine years. The glacier retreated more than 1.9 miles and thinned more than 320 feet, exposing Muir Inlet. Vegetation is still not present, and the glacier is still connected to Riggs Glacier. (Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Archive)

http://dsx.weather.com//util/image/w/Glaciers047_0.JPG?v=at&w=980&h=551&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0

We didn't cause the early 1924-1941 melting of ice, the whole argument of the famous "global warming caused by humans" points after 1970 when the industrial revolution reached the worldwide settling.

The only thing we can do is to adapt to the changes created by nature.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 10:12 pm
One simple observation is that if WW-II didn't bring about the great man-made ecological holocaust, it isn't going to happen. THousand plane raids every day, every oil facility in the axis world a bombing target, columns of thick black smoke rising up thousands of feet in the air everywhere and, ay ear after it was over, zero evidence of the great Algor meltdown.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 02:12 am
The particulates from huge fires would tend to cool the atmosphere, not to heat it up. Al Gore has nothing to do with any of this, except as an obsessional target for rightwingnuts.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:06 pm
http://www.davidicke.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Untitled-718.jpg
0 Replies