Sony Cowardly Caves into Terrorists' Demands

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 06:36 am
So if somebody makes an action/adventure movie that in some way involves the fight against terrorism, and some terrorists make a vague threat against theaters that show it, should the studio pull it? How about a movie set against the backdrop of 9/11 and a vague threat from Al Qaeda? Pull that one too? Why not just run movie scripts by any group of criminals or dictators who might be offended before the project is okayed in the first place? Sony isn't a governmental organization, but I presume they're part of civilization. Is it really good for civilization to cave in to every threat from barbarians?
FBM

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 06:42 am
Maybe I'll be able to download a copy of it, copy it to a bunch of USB's and float them in balloons over the DMZ.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 07:37 am
Does anyone remember when America was so upset about this that they demanded it not be used and demanded and apology?

http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/sept-800x420.jpg

Maybe Sony's bad business decision was to green-light a COMEDY about the American government assassinating a living world leader.
chai2

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:52 am
@boomerang,
I don't remember that boom, but I'm in no way surprised.

We just like to get upset about everything. Not saying this subject at hand is or is not worthy of upset. To me, that's beside the point.
Personally, and this is just so un-PC, I really don't give a crap.

We just, in general, can't stand not being irate about something, all the time.

Most days it seems every single thing, be in terrorist threats, or bonsai kittens, are thrust in our face demanding we become equally enraged.

There's no ******* filters for a lot of people. Everything is equally distressing. Not meaning anyone here per se, just 1st world countries in general. Or at least Americans who have access to the internet or a cell phone.
No wonder so many people are in therapy. We're constantly bombarded with mostly bullshit reasons to be angry, upset, ready to protest, boycott or retaliate.

In an evolutionary sense, maybe humans aren't capable of making this leap from knowing and caring what goes on in your immediate community to thinking you have skin in the game with every single thing that happens around the globe, that someone considered worth of putting online.

It's just too much, too fast, all the time, non-stop. We don't know what's going on with the woman 2 doors down that's dying of cancer and needs some help, but we absolutely must take immediate action to save (and comment on) some random kid on the other side of the globe who "isn't going to have a Christmas"

I don't know about anyone else, but I only have so much capacity to care to go around, and I'd rather do it much more locally.

0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 11:40 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
So if somebody makes an action/adventure movie that in some way involves the fight against terrorism, and some terrorists make a vague threat against theaters that show it, should the studio pull it? How about a movie set against the backdrop of 9/11 and a vague threat from Al Qaeda? Pull that one too? Why not just run movie scripts by any group of criminals or dictators who might be offended before the project is okayed in the first place? Sony isn't a governmental organization, but I presume they're part of civilization. Is it really good for civilization to cave in to every threat from barbarians?

I think that making a movie where the current leader of a country is put in ridiculous and even there is an attempt to kill him, that this movie can be called "intellectual terrorism".

Respect deserves respect.

Here in the US, you make a movie making homosexuals as ridiculous creatures and even describes ways to kill them, you know that the movie producers will be sued. The authorities will be asked to stop its release.

Even when other leaders of other countries are good or bad, friends or enemies, you might feel OK by exposing them to mockeries, but remember that this is a game with two players.

The affected ones might respond the same way, by putting you in ridiculous.

So far, this is what is happening now, the directors of Sony are now exposed to the ridiculous when their emails are leaked to the media. And even more, it could be no more than a joke the threat of bombing movie theaters if the movie in question is shown as scheduled. Perhaps the current decision to comply and to stop the film in theaters is making the hackers of being laughing like crazy.

I think that if you don't like to be treated the way hackers are doing with Sony, then you must avoid playing dirty on others... what goes around comes around...

jcboy

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 04:23 pm
Can we get North Korea to stop the Kardashians while they're at it? Cool
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 05:07 pm
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:

I think that making a movie where the current leader of a country is put in ridiculous and even there is an attempt to kill him, that this movie can be called "intellectual terrorism"...

No, actually it can't. Terrorism means making threats against civilians, not making a joke someone doesn't like or making a political statement someone doesn't like. There's a world of difference between:

a) Making fun of someone
and
b) Breaking into someone's computer system and threatening theater-goers with violence.

The former is speech someone doesn't like. The latter are crimes.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 06:31 pm
Sony has shown that Corporations do not represent or promote our values. Anyone with an IQ of over 70 should have known this already.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 07:10 pm
I heard an interview with the CEO of Sony Entertainment today. He said Sony wanted to release the film but major theater chains refused to show it and with no screens to put the film on they decided to pull it altogether.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 07:12 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I heard an interview with the CEO of Sony Entertainment today. He said Sony wanted to release the film but major theater chains refused to show it and with no screens to put the film on they decided to pull it altogether.

So why is it not online right now?
chai2

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 08:15 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Yes, yes I'd forgotten engineer, I'd heard that as well.
FBM

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 08:17 pm
Taiwan is calling BS, too, but in their own way:

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 08:17 pm
@jcboy,
I'd like to make this my sig line, but you fully own it.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:09 pm
Sony's looking for an alternative way to release the film. Still a pretty wuss move, I think: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30559169
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:15 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Sony's looking for an alternative way to release the film.

Someone should inform them about Youtube.
FBM

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm pretty sure they're looking for a way to recoup some of their investment, though. $$$$
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:51 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I'm pretty sure they're looking for a way to recoup some of their investment, though. $$$$

These being the same people who only care about the next two quarters profits, so this would be a routine corporate class failure to prioritize.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 09:46 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
No, actually it can't. Terrorism means making threats against civilians, not making a joke someone doesn't like or making a political statement someone doesn't like. There's a world of difference between:

a) Making fun of someone
and
b) Breaking into someone's computer system and threatening theater-goers with violence.

Very well

What about making movies mocking of the Holocaust victims?

What about making movies were jokes are made about the reaction of police officers and fire department workers when the Twin Towers came down?

Do you think that here in the US and also in Europe such films will have green light to be in movie theaters?

Think before you answer.

In North Korea -rightly or wrongly- the people is taught to have respect for their leader.

Here, in this movie, what I can see is a bunch of envy people who want to offend such a respect for leaders.

If one can review the respect of North Koreans for their leader with what the bible says, then, North Koreans are following the teachings of the bible in more accurate way of life than the millions of Americans who think that they are religious and obey God.

In other words, North Koreans are TEACHING American how to respect their leaders. It won't matter if this respect is OBLIGATORY, because biblically, the words of apostle Saul (Paul) is like a command: to respect the authority... "regardless of what".

Freedom of speech has also limits in the US.

A elementary school student can't take a toy gun to school, can't say a joke saying that he will kill a teacher or another student... because he will be expelled... a high school or an adult doing the same could be arrested. Do you understand?: ARRESTED.

Here you have a movie, where "the joke": is an attempt to kill the current leader of North Korea. Here we have enough prove to arrest the whole people involved in that "joke".

See? You have no problem applying 'Freedom of Speech "limitations" in school boys but you close your eyes and ignore the same "crime" with Sony.

What is your problem?
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 10:06 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:
I think that making a movie where the current leader of a country is put in ridiculous and even there is an attempt to kill him, that this movie can be called "intellectual terrorism".

carloslebaron wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

a) Making fun of someone
and

Very well

What about making movies mocking of the Holocaust victims?...See? You have no problem applying 'Freedom of Speech "limitations" in school boys but you close your eyes and ignore the same "crime" with Sony.

What is your problem?

Speech which someone doesn't like is not terrorism. Terrorism is threats of criminal acts to be carried out against civilians, or the acts themselves.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 10:18 am
@carloslebaron,
Quote:
What about making movies mocking of the Holocaust victims?
You seem to be targeting the victims in that analogy. While several " satirical" movies WERE made in WWII that made Hitler the object of derision(including several short comedies by such troupes as the Three Stooges), I cant recall ANY films that satirized Holocaust victims.

(Propaganda films by the regimes don't really count)