What if we ARE utterly alone in the galaxy?

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 05:54 pm
@rosborne979,
What if the next time they stop making twinkies, nobody restarts twinkie production...

Seriously, even if we are not alone in the Galaxy, we are alone in the Galaxy, just as if you were floating on a log in the middle of the ocean, you would be alone, as the Earth would still be populated, but would this matter unless you arrived back at land?

Thus the universe is empty, until they come to us, or we go to them.

http://fascinatingly.com/wp-content/gallery/tree-frogs/Red%20Tree%20Frogs.jpg
mark noble

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 07:15 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Ex'frikkin'actly.
mark noble

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 07:17 am
@mark noble,
Show me one shred of 'actual' evidence, and I'll invest time - Giving a fk.
0 Replies

magnocrat

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 03:18 am
I did see the series. Professor Cox comes across as a thoughtful expert not too full of himself and his ideas must give us food for thought. That evolution should arrive at us has a few stumbling blocks. Experts good at mathematics have been juggling the chances for years. We feel uneasy about what we can't be certain about.
Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 04:54 am
@magnocrat,
That was largely incoherent. What's this we sh*t, you gotta mouse in your pocket? Is English your native language? Do you have a creationist agenda to peddle?
magnocrat

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 05:20 am
@Setanta,
No agenda I abandoned them years ago. Just a retired man with time to take an interest. English not so good due to poor education but I don't hide my inadaquices. They say attack is the best form of defence but you have nothing to fear in me.
Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 05:58 am
@magnocrat,
I am not concerned with "fear" in online exchanges. You use the first person plural form, so i wondered what made you think you have the right to speak for others. Unfortunately, we get all too many people here with a religious agenda who think they are entitled to speak for more than just themselves. This is what i found incoherent:

Quote:
That evolution should arrive at us has a few stumbling blocks. Experts good at mathematics have been juggling the chances for years.

It seems to suggest that there are valid mathematical objections to evolutionary theory--there are none. Thousands, millions, even billions of generations, over billions of years make nonsense of any claims that evolution is not mathematically possible. Single cell micro-organisms reproduce about every 20 minutes--a few hundred million years suffices to account for a great many changes.

Don't take it personally--i don't know you personally. After more than a decade of religious loonies crawling out of the woodwork here, ranting against the very idea of evolution, one tends to get suspicious.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 07:40 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
It seems to suggest that there are valid mathematical objections to evolutionary theory--there are none

O yes there are!!!!

If you look at the probablity it is sheer nonsense, mate!

https://cdn-assets.answersingenesis.org/img/prod/primary/lg/10-3-085.jpg

Why don't people research first instead of saying all these stupid things?!
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 07:45 am
Here is more! (just ignore the creation part, it is not neccesary to follow the argument against the most stupid theory in the universe: evolution.)

0 Replies

magnocrat

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 02:05 pm
@Setanta,
I was trying to say the Professors exellent program must give those watching it much food for thought. I am a layman reliant on experts to inform me. In this technical age we all must rely on experts in some way.
I believe we came from self duplicating molecules as described by Richard Dawkins in his excellent book The Blind Watchmaker.
He has to resort to probability and the laws of chance to produce those first duplicators. I struggled with that part of the book.
In the process of evolution the jump from single cell to multicell I'm told is difficult to explain. Maybe there are millions of worlds of single celled life eh?
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 02:10 pm
@magnocrat,
Quote:
I believe we came from self duplicating molecules as described by Richard Dawkins in his excellent book The Blind Watchmaker.
He has to resort to probability and the laws of chance to produce those first duplicators.

Dawkins isn't even able to find a textbook on statistics if it lays in fron tof him mate!

The idiot has no clue!!!
magnocrat

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:30 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Your disagreement with Richard Dawkins is fine and I accept the fact that you disagree with his views but you must not attack the man on such a personel basis. Let me say I am sure he is genuine in his views. The most we expect from anyone is honesty whether they be right or wrong.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 05:59 am
@magnocrat,
Quote:
Your disagreement with Richard Dawkins is fine and I accept the fact that you disagree with his views but you must not attack the man on such a personel basis. Let me say I am sure he is genuine in his views. The most we expect from anyone is honesty whether they be right or wrong.

Dawkins isn't honest at all!

And there is more about the lying zombie Dawkins is!

I call that narcicist Dogma-Dawkins! Very appropriate for this village idiot!

Dawkins is one of the world's great creeps!
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 09:17 am
@rosborne979,
We are utterly alone.......
0 Replies

magnocrat

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 02:38 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
All I can require of anyone is that they believe the philosophy they preach. In the vast majority of cases this is true. Ask yourself why would a man write books, set up web sites, give lectures if he did not believe his own philosophy? Clever men can be wrong but that does not make them stupid.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:53 pm
@magnocrat,
Quote:
All I can require of anyone is that they believe the philosophy they preach. In the vast majority of cases this is true. Ask yourself why would a man write books, set up web sites, give lectures if he did not believe his own philosophy? Clever men can be wrong but that does not make them stupid.

He does it for someone else of course!
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 07:57 am
@rosborne979,
Even if Earth is the only inhabited world in the whole universe (not) we still aren't alone because there's more than a couple lifeforms right here.

Here on Earth, where life can exist, it does exist, and in endless varieties. When we look at where the Earth is relative to our host star the Sun, where our solar system is relative to the galaxy, we see lots of real estate for other life-filled worlds. And this is just 1 galaxy among literally billions of others.

Even if only 1 galaxy has intelligent life like us, the universe has billions of others.
0 Replies

Goliathus

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 05:25 pm
Its almost impossible but if we are then wev got whole universe for ourselves Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 07:54 pm
Someone else who doesn't understand the distinction between galaxy and universe.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:19 pm
Quote:
What if we ARE utterly alone in the galaxy?

"Professor Cox has been at pains to emphasise on Twitter since the episode’s broadcast that his limit on alien civilisations applies only to our galaxy, not the whole universe."

lol

0 Replies