What if we ARE utterly alone in the galaxy?

Tekla

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:03 am
@Tekla,
Sorry, I was interrupted.

...evolutions voters do mostly vote for Aliens also.

I don't say otherway . To read is s.times very helpful.

Anyway , I don't care about voters for Aliens or that the earth has a form like a peanut.

I told about human organism , about lies of monkey theory ,, about the wise guys of space explorers, about lies of organ donates and what ever.

I am ready on that threads like this. It will end up to repeatitions of my texts .
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:47 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
And ice-cream.
Oh God yes Mark, certainly ice cream
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:51 am
@dalehileman,
Y do u relate ice cream to God ?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Y do u relate ice cream to God ?
Because Dave it's the very next ecstasy to ejaculation
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It's like BillRM reborn as a tubthumper.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:47 pm
@Tekla,
Last time I voted evolution and aliens weren't on the ballot. You are talking total bollocks. If English is not your first language, get some lessons. If it is your first language, go and see a doctor. You may have had a stroke, (seriously).
timur

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:09 pm
Online translators are quite difficult to deal with..

There's a better chance to be understood in Plattdeutsch..
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 04:57 pm
Cox has a fine mind, and one of the worst TV personas I've ever seen. There is every reason to believe that he is attempting to attract attention with this postulate. These guys are human beings after all and they like money and attention as much as anyone else. This is not to say that he doesn't feel like he has a sound basis for his contention, but TV scientists are TV scientists.

It's interesting that he confines his assertion to the galaxy, because that allows him to conjecture within a finite realm.

I don't think he's made a "blind guess," and I don't know his probability calculation, but it's difficult, for me at least, to understand how such a calculation can be made based on a single instance. We know of one case of single cell life evolving to technology capable intelligence. I'm certainly not a mathematician, but I would think you have to have some idea of how probable or improbable this process is to determine the probability of it happening more than once in our galaxy.

Galactic numbers are obviously not as large as Universal numbers, but they're pretty large. So large that if there are thousands or hundreds of thousands of other technological races, we may never meet up with any of them.

In any case, if someone could prove to me that we are the only intelligent race in either the galaxy or universe, I would think they could answer a lot of other questions, and I would think they would have to be God, because no member of the only intelligent race can do it.

Obviously if God is telling me this is the case, I'm going to be more interested in the fact that God is talking to me than whether or not there are other sentient races. Other wise what difference does it really make? It wouldn't make humanity any more precious than it already is. It certainly wouldn't make the world wake up and stop it's savage behavior. That kind of thinking is as romantic and fanciful as any sci-fi writer's tales of alien encounters. People are not killing each other because they think "Hey if we wipe ourselves out there's always the Alterans to perpetuate life"

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:09 pm
@izzythepush,
Apparently, she and Calamity Jane had an extended conversation in German. According to a close friend of mine, Tekla doesn't make any better sense in German than in English.
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:14 pm
I don't agree that there is anything poor about Cox's television "persona." He is a quite successful and popular television presenter. He is definitely not a "TV scientist." He is a professor of physics at Manchester University, a research fellow of the Royal Society and an advanced fellow of the Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council because he is a real scientist. People who don't have such credentials ought to be honest about it and not judge others from their personal ignorance.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It's interesting that he confines his assertion to the galaxy, because that allows him to conjecture within a finite realm.

I don't think he's made a "blind guess," and I don't know his probability calculation, but it's difficult, for me at least, to understand how such a calculation can be made based on a single instance. We know of one case of single cell life evolving to technology capable intelligence. I'm certainly not a mathematician, but I would think you have to have some idea of how probable or improbable this process is to determine the probability of it happening more than once in our galaxy.

Well, I often posit a question that is even more finite than Cox's use of our galaxy to limit his scope.

I ask a variation of:

Is there any life, sentient or otherwise, on any planet circling the nearest 10 stars to Sol?

Any answer other than: "I do not know; I do not have enough data to make a reasonable calculation; and I do not have enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess"...

...is really nothing more than a blind guess.

I respect your assessment of Cox's reported statement...but why you do not see the comment about what is (or is not) in the entire galaxy as being a blind guess...is beyond me, Finn.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:25 pm
@Setanta,
Is he on TV?

Yes he is.

Is a real scientist?

Yes he is.

Is he a TV scientist?

Yes he is.

For what ever reason he has decided to host TV science programs. It doesn't make him less of a scientist, but it's ridiculous to suggest that's it's not indicative of something. Maybe he has a passion to teach the world science, maybe he wants to make more money than he can plying his main trade.

I guess it's a matter of opinion and taste but I find him deadly dull. Maybe you don't, but either way it has nothing to do with his scientific knowledge.

There is a cult of the scientist that is prevalent in this forum, that is amusing.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't think it's blind because he has some reason for making the assertion. It may or may not be very flimsy, but it's not blind.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't think it's blind because he has some reason for making the assertion.

Yes. He is able to speak.

But since he does not claim to ever have been anywhere else in the galaxy...and since we have no information whatever about whether there is or is not any kind of life elsewhere...

...a categorical denial that any exists certainly seems to be a blind guess.

I suppose people here are so bothered by my use of the phrase that they could call his guess something other rather than allow it to stand...but to suggest it is some kind of educated guess...is much more of a stretch than calling it a blind guess.

I certainly would be willing to drop the "blind"...and call it purely a guess.

Quote:

It may or may not be very flimsy, but it's not blind.

Okay...it is a guess. Just a guess. No "blind" needed.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm sure you used to froth at the mouth about Carl Sagan, too--who was a genuine astronomer.
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
There is a cult of the scientist that is prevalent in this forum, that is amusing.

Ah-hahahahahahahahahaha . . .

You can't beat this place for free entertainment.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:45 pm
@Setanta,
Especially with you contributing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:52 pm
Yeah, and what has your contribution to this thread been? Wait, wait . . . i know the answer to that. You have spoken of a man with impeccable credentials as a physicist in a slighting manner, while contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion of his thesis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:52 pm
It's a shame how this very interesting thread has been trashed almost from the outset.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:57 pm
@Setanta,
Typical Setanta return all bile and no meaning.

I liked Carl Sagan quite a lot. He was so far superior to Cox as a TV scientist, but he was a TV scientist.

You seem to think that "TV Scientist" is a pejorative. I don't.

I think that science popularizers provide a great service, but, again, it's ridiculous to suggest that their decision to educate the masses through a lucrative means is meaningless.

But why do I respond to anything you write? Even when I tried to bury the hatchet you came back with bile.

Let me let you in on a secret: You're nowhere near as clever as you think.

Intimidating people with bullying invective is your speciality. If you feel good about that, I really pity you.

You must be one miserable SOB.