1 in 5 women get raped?

Miller

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 01:17 am
@Miller,
More info about Alcorn State U, the new home of Jamil Cooks:

Alcorn State University (ASU) is a historically black comprehensive land-grant institution in Lorman, Mississippi. It was founded in 1871 by the Reconstruction era legislature to provide higher education for freedmen. It is the first black land grant college established in the United States.

The university is counted as a census-designated place and had a resident population of 1,017 at the 2010 census.[1]

Medgar Evers, a civil rights activist, graduated from the university in 1948. Students at the college were part of the mid-twentieth century civil rights struggle, working to register residents for voting and struggling to end segregation. Other alumni have been activists, politicians and professionals in Mississippi and other states. The university is a member-school of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund.

Wikipedia.com

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 01:30 am
@Miller,
In other words he went from playing for and going to the Academy to a rinky ding failed Land Grant school.......pretty much like playing for a JR college.

And a lot of people are pissed that he is playing anywhere, to include a municipal park, because according to them this ************ should be rotting in prison right now.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 01:37 am
@firefly,
Quote:
It wasn't an allegation, they found him responsible for sexually assaulting her-

There is nothing in this thread indicating that. If you have some information on this then you need to present it.
Miller

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 01:38 am
A Rape a Minute, A Thousand Corpses a Year

Hate crimes in America—and elsewhere—add up to the world’s longest war.
Rebecca Solnit
January 24, 2013

The Nation

Here in the United States, where there is a reported rape every 6.2 minutes, and one in five women will be raped in her lifetime, the rape and gruesome murder of a young woman on a bus in New Delhi on December 16 was treated as an exceptional incident. The story of the alleged rape of an unconscious teenager by members of the Steubenville High School football team was still unfolding, and gang rapes aren’t that unusual here either. Take your pick: some of the twenty men who gang-raped an 11-year-old in Cleveland, Texas, were sentenced in November, while the instigator of the gang rape of a 16-year-old in Richmond, California, was sentenced in October, and four men who gang-raped a 15-year-old near New Orleans were sentenced in April, though the six men who gang-raped a 14-year-old in Chicago last fall are still at large. Not that I actually went out looking for incidents: they’re everywhere in the news, though no one adds them up and indicates that there might actually be a pattern.

There is, however, a pattern of violence against women that’s broad and deep and horrific and incessantly overlooked. Occasionally, a case involving a celebrity or lurid details in a particular case get a lot of attention in the media, but such cases are treated as anomalies, while the abundance of incidental news items about violence against women in this country, in other countries, on every continent including Antarctica, constitute a kind of background wallpaper for the news.

If you’d rather talk about bus rapes than gang rapes, there’s the rape of a developmentally disabled woman on a Los Angeles bus in November and the kidnapping of an autistic 16-year-old on the regional transit train system in Oakland, California—she was raped repeatedly by her abductor over two days this winter—and there was a gang rape of multiple women on a bus in Mexico City recently, too. While I was writing this, I read that another female bus-rider was kidnapped in India and gang-raped all night by the bus driver and five of his friends who must have thought what happened in New Delhi was awesome.

We have an abundance of rape and violence against women in this country and on this Earth, though it’s almost never treated as a civil rights or human rights issue, or a crisis, or even a pattern. Violence doesn’t have a race, a class, a religion or a nationality, but it does have a gender.

Here I want to say one thing: though virtually all the perpetrators of such crimes are men, that doesn’t mean all men are violent. Most are not. In addition, men obviously also suffer violence, largely at the hands of other men, and every violent death, every assault is terrible. But the subject here is the pandemic of violence by men against women, both intimate violence and stranger violence.

What We Don’t Talk About When We Don’t Talk About Gender

There’s so much of it. We could talk about the assault and rape of a 73-year-old in Manhattan’s Central Park last September, or the recent rape of a 4-year-old and an 83-year-old in Louisiana, or the New York City policeman who was arrested in October for what appeared to be serious plans to kidnap, rape, cook and eat a woman, any woman, because the hate wasn’t personal (though maybe it was for the San Diego man who actually killed and cooked his wife in November and the man from New Orleans who killed, dismembered and cooked his girlfriend in 2005).

Those are all exceptional crimes, but we could also talk about quotidian assaults, because though a rape is reported only every 6.2 minutes in this country, the estimated total is perhaps five times as high. Which means that there may be very nearly a rape a minute in the United States. It all adds up to tens of millions of rape victims.

We could talk about high-school- and college-athlete rapes, or campus rapes, to which university authorities have been appallingly uninterested in responding in many cases, including that high school in Steubenville, Notre Dame University, Amherst College and many others. We could talk about the escalating pandemic of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment in the US military, where Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta estimated that there were 19,000 sexual assaults on fellow soldiers in 2010 alone and that the great majority of assailants got away with it, though four-star general Jeffrey Sinclair was indicted in September for “a slew of sex crimes against women.”

Never mind workplace violence, let’s go home. So many men murder their partners and former partners that we have well over 1,000 homicides of that kind a year—meaning that every three years the death toll tops 9/11’s casualties, though no one declares a war on this particular terror. (Another way to put it: the more than 11,766 corpses from domestic-violence homicides since 9/11 exceed the number of deaths of victims on that day and all American soldiers killed in the “war on terror.”) If we talked about crimes like these and why they are so common, we’d have to talk about what kinds of profound change this society, or this nation, or nearly every nation needs. If we talked about it, we’d be talking about masculinity, or male roles, or maybe patriarchy, and we don’t talk much about that.

Instead, we hear that American men commit murder-suicides—at the rate of about twelve a week—because the economy is bad, though they also do it when the economy is good; or that those men in India murdered the bus-rider because the poor resent the rich, while other rapes in India are explained by how the rich exploit the poor; and then there are those ever-popular explanations: mental problems and intoxicants—and for jocks, head injuries. The latest spin is that lead exposure was responsible for a lot of our violence, except that both genders are exposed and one commits most of the violence. The pandemic of violence always gets explained as anything but gender, anything but what would seem to be the broadest explanatory pattern of all.

Someone wrote a piece about how white men seem to be the ones who commit mass murders in the United States and the (mostly hostile) commenters only seemed to notice the “white” part. It’s rare that anyone says what this medical study does, even if in the driest way possible: “Being male has been identified as a risk factor for violent criminal behavior in several studies, as have exposure to tobacco smoke before birth, having antisocial parents, and belonging to a poor family.”

Still, the pattern is plain as day. We could talk about this as a global problem, looking at the epidemic of assault, harassment and rape of women in Cairo’s Tahrir Square that has taken away the freedom they celebrated during the Arab Spring—and led some men there to form defense teams to help counter it—or the persecution of women in public and private in India from “Eve-teasing” to bride-burning, or “honor killings” in South Asia and the Middle East, or the way that South Africa has become a global rape capital, with an estimated 600,000 rapes last year, or how rape has been used as a tactic and “weapon” of war in Mali, Sudan and the Congo, as it was in the former Yugoslavia, or the pervasiveness of rape and harassment in Mexico and the femicide in Juarez, or the denial of basic rights for women in Saudi Arabia and the myriad sexual assaults on immigrant domestic workers there, or the way that the Dominique Strauss-Kahn case in the United States revealed what impunity he and others had in France, and it’s only for lack of space I’m leaving out Britain and Canada and Italy (with its ex-prime minister known for his orgies with the underaged), Argentina and Australia and so many other countries.

Who Has the Right to Kill You?

But maybe you’re tired of statistics, so let’s just talk about a single incident that happened in my city a couple of weeks ago, one of many local incidents in which men assaulted women that made the local papers this month:

“A woman was stabbed after she rebuffed a man’s sexual advances while she walked in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood late Monday night, a police spokesman said today. The 33-year-old victim was walking down the street when a stranger approached her and propositioned her, police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza said. When she rejected him, the man became very upset and slashed the victim in the face and stabbed her in the arm, Esparza said.”

The man, in other words, framed the situation as one in which his chosen victim had no rights and liberties, while he had the right to control and punish her. This should remind us that violence is first of all authoritarian. It begins with this premise: I have the right to control you.

Murder is the extreme version of that authoritarianism, where the murderer asserts he has the right to decide whether you live or die, the ultimate means of controlling someone. This may be true even if you are “obedient,” because the desire to control comes out of a rage that obedience can’t assuage. Whatever fears, whatever sense of vulnerability may underlie such behavior, it also comes out of entitlement, the entitlement to inflict suffering and even death on other people. It breeds misery in the perpetrator and the victims.

As for that incident in my city, similar things happen all the time. Many versions of it happened to me when I was younger, sometimes involving death threats and often involving torrents of obscenities: a man approaches a woman with both desire and the furious expectation that the desire will likely be rebuffed. The fury and desire come in a package, all twisted together into something that always threatens to turn eros into thanatos, love into death, sometimes literally.

It’s a system of control. It’s why so many intimate-partner murders are of women who dared to break up with those partners. As a result, it imprisons a lot of women, and though you could say that the attacker on January 7, or a brutal would-be-rapist near my own neighborhood on January 5, or another rapist here on January 12, or the San Franciscan who on January 6 set his girlfriend on fire for refusing to do his laundry, or the guy who was just sentenced to 370 years for some particularly violent rapes in San Francisco in late 2011, were marginal characters, rich, famous and privileged guys do it, too.

The Japanese vice-consul in San Francisco was charged with twelve felony counts of spousal abuse and assault with a deadly weapon last September, the same month that, in the same town, the ex-girlfriend of Mason Mayer (brother of Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer) testified in court: “He ripped out my earrings, tore my eyelashes off, while spitting in my face and telling me how unlovable I am…. I was on the ground in the fetal position, and when I tried to move, he squeezed both knees tighter into my sides to restrain me and slapped me.” According to the newspaper, she also testified that “Mayer slammed her head onto the floor repeatedly and pulled out clumps of her hair, telling her that the only way she was leaving the apartment alive was if he drove her to the Golden Gate Bridge ‘where you can jump off or I will push you off.’ ” Mason Mayer got probation.

This summer, an estranged husband violated his wife’s restraining order against him, shooting her—and six other women—at her spa job in suburban Milwaukee, but since there were only four corpses the crime was largely overlooked in the media in a year with so many more spectacular mass murders in this country (and we still haven’t really talked about the fact that, of sixty-two mass shootings in the United States in three decades, only one was by a woman, because when you say lone gunman, everyone talks about loners and guns but not about men—and by the way, nearly two-thirds of all women killed by guns are killed by their partner or ex-partner).

What’s love got to do with it, asked Tina Turner, whose ex-husband Ike once said, “Yeah I hit her, but I didn’t hit her more than the average guy beats his wife.” A woman is beaten every nine seconds in this country. Just to be clear: not nine minutes, but nine seconds. It’s the number-one cause of injury to American women; of the 2 million injured annually, more than half a million of those injuries require medical attention, while about 145,000 require overnight hospitalizations, according to the Center for Disease Control, and you don’t want to know about the dentistry needed afterwards. Spouses are also the leading cause of death for pregnant women in the US.

“Women worldwide ages 15 through 44 are more likely to die or be maimed because of male violence than because of cancer, malaria, war and traffic accidents combined,” writes Nicholas D. Kristof, one of the few prominent figures to address the issue regularly.

The Chasm Between Our Worlds

Rape and other acts of violence, up to and including murder, as well as threats of violence, constitute the barrage some men lay down as they attempt to control some women, and fear of that violence limits most women in ways they’ve gotten so used to they hardly notice—and we hardly address. There are exceptions: last summer someone wrote to me to describe a college class in which the students were asked what they do to stay safe from rape. The young women described the intricate ways they stayed alert, limited their access to the world, took precautions, and essentially thought about rape all the time (while the young men in the class, he added, gaped in astonishment). The chasm between their worlds had briefly and suddenly become visible.

Mostly, however, we don’t talk about it—though a graphic has been circulating on the Internet called Ten Top Tips to End Rape, the kind of thing young women get often enough, but this one had a subversive twist. It offered advice like this: “Carry a whistle! If you are worried you might assault someone ‘by accident’ you can hand it to the person you are with, so they can call for help.” While funny, the piece points out something terrible: the usual guidelines in such situations put the full burden of prevention on potential victims, treating the violence as a given. You explain to me why colleges spend more time telling women how to survive predators than telling the other half of their students not to be predators.

Threats of sexual assault now seem to take place online regularly. In late 2011, British columnist Laurie Penny wrote, “An opinion, it seems, is the short skirt of the Internet. Having one and flaunting it is somehow asking an amorphous mass of almost-entirely male keyboard-bashers to tell you how they’d like to rape, kill, and urinate on you. This week, after a particularly ugly slew of threats, I decided to make just a few of those messages public on Twitter, and the response I received was overwhelming. Many could not believe the hate I received, and many more began to share their own stories of harassment, intimidation, and abuse.”

Women in the online gaming community have been harassed, threatened and driven out. Anita Sarkeesian, a feminist media critic who documented such incidents, received support for her work, but also, in the words of a journalist, “another wave of really aggressive, you know, violent personal threats, her accounts attempted to be hacked. And one man in Ontario took the step of making an online video game where you could punch Anita’s image on the screen. And if you punched it multiple times, bruises and cuts would appear on her image.” The difference between these online gamers and the Taliban men who, last October, tried to murder 14-year-old Malala Yousafzai for speaking out about the right of Pakistani women to education is one of degree. Both are trying to silence and punish women for claiming voice, power, and the right to participate. Welcome to Manistan.

The Party for the Protection of the Rights of Rapists

It’s not just public, or private, or online either. It’s also embedded in our political system, and our legal system, which before feminists fought for us didn’t recognize most domestic violence, or sexual harassment and stalking, or date rape, or acquaintance rape, or marital rape, and in cases of rape still often tries the victim rather than the rapist, as though only perfect maidens could be assaulted—or believed.

As we learned in the 2012 election campaign, it’s also embedded in the minds and mouths of our politicians. Remember that spate of crazy pro-rape things Republican men said last summer and fall, starting with Todd Akin’s notorious claim that a woman has ways of preventing pregnancy in cases of rape, a statement he made in order to deny women control over their own bodies. After that, of course, Senate candidate Richard Mourdock claimed that rape pregnancies were “a gift from God,” and just this month, another Republican politician piped up to defend Akin’s comment.

Happily the five publicly pro-rape Republicans in the 2012 campaign all lost their election bids. (Stephen Colbert tried to warn them that women had gotten the vote in 1920.) But it’s not just a matter of the garbage they say (and the price they now pay). Earlier this month, congressional Republicans refused to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act, because they objected to the protection it gave immigrants, transgendered women and Native American women. (Speaking of epidemics, one of three Native American women will be raped, and on the reservations 88 percent of those rapes are by non-Native men who know tribal governments can’t prosecute them.)

And they’re out to gut reproductive rights—birth control as well as abortion, as they’ve pretty effectively done in many states over the last dozen years. What’s meant by “reproductive rights,” of course, is the right of women to control their own bodies. Didn’t I mention earlier that violence against women is a control issue?

And though rapes are often investigated lackadaisically—there is a backlog of about 400,000 untested rape kits in this country—rapists who impregnate their victims have parental rights in thirty-one states. Oh, and former vice-presidential candidate and current congressman Paul Ryan (R-Manistan) is reintroducing a bill that would give states the right to ban abortions and might even conceivably allow a rapist to sue his victim for having one.

All the Things That Aren’t to Blame

Of course, women are capable of all sorts of major unpleasantness, and there are violent crimes by women, but the so-called war of the sexes is extraordinarily lopsided when it comes to actual violence. Unlike the last (male) head of the International Monetary Fund, the current (female) head is not going to assault an employee at a luxury hotel; top-ranking female officers in the US military, unlike their male counterparts, are not accused of any sexual assaults; and young female athletes, unlike those male football players in Steubenville, aren’t likely to urinate on unconscious boys, let alone violate them and boast about it in YouTube videos and Twitter feeds.

No female bus riders in India have ganged up to sexually assault a man so badly he dies of his injuries, nor are marauding packs of women terrorizing men in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, and there’s just no maternal equivalent to the 11 precent of rapes that are by fathers or stepfathers. Of the people in US prisons, 93.5 percent are not women, and though quite a lot of them should not be there in the first place, maybe some of them should because of violence, until we think of a better way to deal with it, and them.

No major female pop star has blown the head off a young man she took home with her, as did Phil Spector. (He is now part of that 93.5 percent for the shotgun slaying of Lana Clarkson, apparently for refusing his advances.) No female action-movie star has been charged with domestic violence, because Angelina Jolie just isn’t doing what Mel Gibson and Steve McQueen did, and there aren’t any celebrated female movie directors who gave a 13-year-old drugs before sexually assaulting that child, while she kept saying “no,” as did Roman Polanski.

In Memory of Jhoti Singh

What’s the matter with manhood? There’s something about how masculinity is imagined, about what’s praised and encouraged, about the way violence is passed on to boys that needs to be addressed. There are lovely and wonderful men out there, and one of the things that’s encouraging in this round of the war against women is how many men I’ve seen who get it, who think it’s their issue too, who stand up for us and with us in everyday life, online and in the marches from New Delhi to San Francisco this winter.

Increasingly men are becoming good allies—and there always have been some. Kindness and gentleness never had a gender, and neither did empathy. Domestic violence statistics are down significantly from earlier decades (even though they’re still shockingly high), and a lot of men are at work crafting new ideas and ideals about masculinity and power.

Gay men have been good allies of mine for almost four decades. (Apparently same-sex marriage horrifies conservatives because it’s marriage between equals with no inevitable roles.) Women’s liberation has often been portrayed as a movement intent on encroaching upon or taking power and privilege away from men, as though in some dismal zero-sum game, only one gender at a time could be free and powerful. But we are free together or slaves together.

There are other things I’d rather write about, but this affects everything else. The lives of half of humanity are still dogged by, drained by and sometimes ended by this pervasive variety of violence. Think of how much more time and energy we would have to focus on other things that matter if we weren’t so busy surviving. Look at it this way: one of the best journalists I know is afraid to walk home at night in our neighborhood. Should she stop working late? How many women have had to stop doing their work, or been stopped from doing it, for similar reasons?

One of the most exciting new political movements on Earth is the Native Canadian indigenous rights movement, with feminist and environmental overtones, called Idle No More. On December 27, shortly after the movement took off, a Native woman was kidnapped, raped, beaten and left for dead in Thunder Bay, Ontario, by men whose remarks framed the crime as retaliation against Idle No More. Afterward, she walked four hours through the bitter cold and survived to tell her tale. Her assailants, who have threatened to do it again, are still at large.

The New Delhi rape and murder of Jhoti Singh, the 23-year-old who was studying physiotherapy so that she could better herself while helping others, and the assault on her male companion (who survived) seem to have triggered the reaction that we have needed for 100, or 1,000 or 5,000 years. May she be to women—and men—worldwide what Emmett Till, murdered by white supremacists in 1955, was to African-Americans and the then-nascent US civil rights movement.

We have far more than 87,000 rapes in this country every year, but each of them is invariably portrayed as an isolated incident. We have dots so close they’re splatters melting into a stain, but hardly anyone connects them, or names that stain. In India they did. They said that this is a civil rights issue, it’s a human rights issue, it’s everyone’s problem, it’s not isolated, and it’s never going to be acceptable again. It has to change. It’s your job to change it, and mine, and ours.

For more on the structures propping up violence against women, read Jessica Valenti’s post on college rape victims.
Rebecca Solnit
January 24, 2013
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 01:45 am
@Miller,
Quote:
So many men murder their partners and former partners that we have well over 1,000 homicides of that kind a year—meaning that every three years the death toll tops 9/11’s casualties, though no one declares a war on this particular terror. (Another way to put it: the more than 11,766 corpses from domestic-violence homicides since 9/11 exceed the number of deaths of victims on that day and all American soldiers killed in the “war on terror.”)

Quote:
Despite the unexpected data produced by this justice Department study--that wives kill husbands much more frequently than media accounts suggest and that they are treated more leniently than husbands who kill--the press release issued by the justice Department to accompany the report buried this politically incorrect data under the following politically correct headline: "Wives are the most frequent victims in family murders." But even that conclusion obscures the real picture: that for all family murders--which includes killing of parents and children as well as spouses--55.5 percent of the victims were males and 44.5 percent females, and "female defendants were more likely than male defendants to have murdered a person of the opposite sex.

Alan M. Dershowitz
http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/158/articles/dershowitz3.htm

That about sums up this particular male hating crappola, other than I did not know that people still get paid by the word.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 01:46 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
There is nothing in this thread indicating that. If you have some information on this then you need to present it.

Go back one page and read the article on her lawsuit, and go to the additional link I posted under that article that has more info on her assault--the information is there.

Dummy, the reason he was expelled was because they found him responsible for her assault. Then they concealed that info from any transfer school by changing it on his records to he "withdrew".
Quote:
The transfer of sexual offenders from one school to another is drawing fresh concern in the case of Jesse Matthew Jr. in Virginia. Matthew was accused of sexual assault at two colleges in Virginia, but never faced criminal charges. He's now jailed on charges of abducting and defiling University of Virginia student Hannah Graham, whose body was discovered this month, and was indicted on separate charges related to a 2005 rape in Fairfax, Virginia.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/virginia-wesleyan-lawsuit_n_6077780.html

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 03:47 am
@Miller,
The military is being pressured by congress to join the war on men at the whim of any woman that regret having sex the next day and that can be shown to have been drinking even if such drinking is in itself against the rules.

If there is not enough evidence to convict someone for rape they still end their careers by using lessor charges.

Quote:

http://www.militarycorruption.com/owens2.htm

FROM NAVY
FEMALE "VICTIMS" ADMIT DRINKING HEAVILY
BEFORE ALLEGED SEXUAL ASSAULTS

It's all over for onetime football great Lamar Owens. He's been expelled from the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md. with no degree and must pay back at least $90,000 of the cost of his college education.

The Owens case has resulted in much controversy and media attention due to the fact Owens is African-American and some of his supporters feel he's been singled out for heavier punishment because of his race. His detractors said he had disgraced the Academy and deserved to get the boot.

As of press time, MilitaryCorruption.com doesn't know if Owens will appeal his punishment to the Board for Corrections of Naval Records. He also can seek help from members of Congress and even sue the government to get his earned four-year college degree.

If we had to bet the farm, we think Owens and his friends and family will carry on the battle to the bitter end.

ANOTHER FOOTBALL PLAYER GETS PRISON TIME
AND DISMISSAL FROM ACADEMY

Another football player at the Navy's military academy faces ruin, even worse than Owens. Midshipman Kenney Ray Morrison has been sentenced to two years in prison and ordered kicked out of the Navy. The former Academy linebacker has been convicted of "indecent assault" and "conduct unbecoming an officer"

Morrison, 24, claimed the sex was "consensual," but the alleged victim, who admitted she had been "drinking heavily" the night of the "attack," claimed the sex was against her will.

In Owens case, his alleged female "victim" cried "rape." She too, acknowledged heavy drinking at the time of the alleged crime.

While the 23 year-old football star, Lamar Owens, was cleared of the rape charges last July, he was found guilty of two lesser charges. However, a Navy panel recommended Owens "not be punished." So the Texas native won't be going to jail, but being expelled and losing his degree and diploma will be a heavy blow to the young man's future.

We don't know if either of these men forced the women to have sex with them. But we wonder when the military will get around to also punishing those who get drunk of their own accord, then wonder why they end up in bed having sex with another person. It would seem, letting one party to an illegal act escape any punishment at all, while the other gets the book thrown at them, is a miscarriage of justice. What do you think?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 04:02 am
@BillRM,
In other words every woman who has a drink deserves to be raped.

You're certainly consistent.
BillRM

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 05:03 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
n other words every woman who has a drink deserves to be raped.

You're certainly consistent.

In other word drunken sex between a couple placed the male and only the male at the whim of his partner as to whether it is rape or not after the fact.

Women are not consider to be adults that are fully responsible for their own actions when it come to sex while being voluntarily under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Strangely this free pass given to females does not apply in any other aspect of life such as drunk driving or criminal acts while being intoxicated.

If a woman drive drunk she and she alone is responsible for doing so even if there is a male in the car that had allowed her to drive in that condition but it is the male responsible for any drunken sex acts between them for some strange reason.

He have an obligation to act as her guardian and that obligation apply even if both of them happen to be equally under the influence.

An yes I am very consistent that women should be view as adults even when it come to them having drunken sex.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 05:54 am
@BillRM,
You are the one categorising most rapes as women regretting consensual drunken sex. This is an extreme, and deliberate, distortion of the truth. Most people want to forget a regrettable tumble, the last thing they want to do is relive it over and over again. The truth is that a significant amount of rapes go unreported.

The only people buying the horseshit you're peddling are the usual, inarticulate and unintelligent, suspects.

The fact that you keep banging on about it says a lot about you, and how you treat women.
BillRM

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 09:11 am
Interesting "rape" trial of a massage therapist and one of his customers is ongoing in the Miami area.

It would seems that near the end of a two hours massage the lady rolled over and removed the sheet from her body and smile at the guy.

He took it as an invitation to have sex and on the stand he stated that he had no reason to not think that the sex between them was one hundred percent consensus until the police show up the next day.

The one interesting fact is that the "victim" when on the stand admitted that she did not once said no or stop or communicate her wish not to have sexual congress with the man.

Strange is it not that the lady could tell the police later that she did not wish to have sex but not the gentleman at the time.

I am going to be interested in the verdict on this one as the government move more and more to make normal sexual behaviors illegal and take any duty of women to let the men know their wishes if the men was wrong about them.

Once more thanks god that I am not having sexual encounters with anyone but my wife in a nice stable marriage but I do worry about my three step grand sons.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 09:19 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The truth is that a significant amount of rapes go unreported.

An a significant numbers of so call rapes are indeed false charges by studies I had posted links to in the past and in the case of the military cadets a charge of rape thanks to congress is now a get out of punishment free charge for such behaviors as getting drunk in the first place.

footnote in the military such behaviors as getting drunk as a cadet can get you punishments up to being thrown out of the schools let alone what the military consider sexual misconduct such as relationships between lower level cadets and the senior level cadets.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 01:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Women are not consider to be adults that are fully responsible for their own actions ...

...He have an obligation to act as her guardian ...

...An yes I am very consistent that women should be view as adults even when it come to them having drunken sex.

There's something wrong with your comments in the above. Are they supposed to make sense?

You've repeatedly said that "Women should be treated as children".

. In the year 2014, the only adult women who wish ( if even they do!) to be treated as children have IQs in the 50-55 range ( with normal at or above 100) and these females have little or no capacity to reason as intelligent women.

I'm sorry to say that your posts are very often illogical and often without any merit.

Moreover, I 'd be interested in knowing who's doing the editing of your posts, at those times, when they are somewhat understandable, because obviously someone is attempting to make you seem more literate.

BillRM

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 02:51 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
You've repeatedly said that "Women should be treated as children"

Bullshit and a complete lied coming out of thin air. There is a big big difference in stating that others wish to treat adult women as children and have the law treat women as children then that I wish women to be treated as children

During the time of the ERA that would have granted equal rights and equal responsibility to women I was a strong supporter even being a card carrying member of NOW.

In my personal life I had been lucky enough to have to date a twenty-nine years long relationship with my now wife who have at least a ten points higher IQ then mine and a Phd compare to my BSEE. An during her career having something like eight hundreds state employees reporting to her.

Sorry your charge that I think that women should be treated as children is once more bullshit.

My position have been not that women are children but that people like Firefly and Izzy wish women to be given special protections due to their view that women are inherently victims of men and need the same manner of protections as children.

That Firefly and Izzy and so call feminists feel that women should not be held to the same standards as men when it come to their actions under the influence of drugs or alcohol and I do not feel that way.

That the law and society by Firefly and Izzy light should not consider them adults as far as their relationships with men are concern and that is not my opinion and never been my opinion.

To sum up, once more you are full of bullshit with the charge that of all people that I consider women as not being full adults and that they should not have the same rights and responsibilities of adulthood as men.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 04:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Both Hawkeye and BillRM ignore the fact that when statistics indicate that 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 women is the victim of a rape or an attempted rape over the course of her lifetime, that includes women of all ages, not just the younger women--it includes women who are raped when they are very elderly. That's the reality of rape.

The younger women of college age, who are raped while unconscious, or sleeping, or while impaired by alcohol or drugs, are just as vulnerable, and just as limited in their ability to resist as elderly women are, and they are targeted for similar reasons--rape is an opportunistic crime, and rapists seek vulnerable victims. No woman, of any age, can't be sure she won't wind up being a rape victim at some point in her life.

These are stories of elderly rapes currently in the news now, but such crimes occur all the time.

Quote:
Tip leads to arrest in rape of elderly woman
By Mike Glenn
October 13, 2014

A tip to Crime Stoppers led to the arrest of a man accused of sexually assaulting an elderly woman at a southwest Houston retirement community.

The 91-year-old woman told police she was awakened about 3:30 a.m. on Oct. 1 when a man now identified as Conrad Hargest, 29, came into her room at the Creekbend Gardens assisted living center, 8106 Creekbend Drive.

She asked what he wanted.

"The defendant (Hargest) stated, 'I am here for the sex and the money,'" according to Harris County court documents.

Houston police said Hargest held the elderly woman down while he assaulted her. Then, he took a rag from the sink and wiped her down then himself.

"The complainant said the rag was cold from the water," stated the court document against Hargest.

She said Hargest then took the money from her wallet and left her room, officials said.

Security tape

Houston police interviewed the woman at Ben Taub General Hospital and later examined a security tape from the retirement center. It showed a man apparently checking for unlocked doors on all three floors of the building.

He matched the description the woman gave of her assailant, Houston police said.

The tape shows him stopping in an entry way at the woman's home. He then disappears from the camera for about eight minutes, Houston police said.

Claude Almaraz has lived at Creekbend Gardens for more than a decade.

"This is the first time something like this has happened since I've been here. It's a good place," Almaraz said after the attack.

On Oct. 9, police received a Crime Stoppers tip identifying Hargest by name. HPD investigators questioned him at the Fort Bend County Jail, where he was being held on an unrelated home burglary charge.

According to the complaint, Hargest admitted he was the person on the security video but said the tape didn't show him going into the woman's home. Detectives told him they probably will have physical evidence once the lab work is done.

Increased security

"The defendant said come talk to me when my DNA comes back," the complaint stated.

Managers at Creekbend Gardens referred questions to the California-based Retirement Housing Foundation, which operates more than 170 communities throughout the nation.

RHF spokeswoman Chris Ragon said they have beefed up security since the attack, including hiring a nighttime security guard, adding an extra camera in the stairwell and re-keying all the locks in the building. She said they also installed a self-locking door latch on the woman's apartment and helped her get a medical alert device.

Ragon said they will also work with the Houston Police Department to hold safety meetings with the residents.

"Thank God this isn't any kind of normal occurrence for us," Ragon said.

A charge of aggravated sexual assault of an elderly or disabled person was filed last week against Hargest. He was later released from custody after posting bail on both charges, authorities said.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Tip-leads-to-arrest-in-rape-of-elderly-woman-5820490.php

Quote:
WPD make arrest in rape of 100-year-old
Lauren Seabrook
Oct 03, 2014

WICHITA, Kan. -
Update: Wichita police have made an arrest in the case of a 100-year-old woman who was raped last month.

Arrest sheets show 35-year-old Kasey Nesbitt was arrested Thursday and booked into the Sedgwick County Jail for rape and aggravated burglary. Formal charges are still pending.

Police say the victim is a very strong and brave woman and she was able to give them information to help them find the suspect.

Wichita Police say Nesbitt is a documented gang member. He has a long criminal record, which includes prison time for burglary and theft charges....

Police say the woman went to a neighbor's house at around 7:15 Tuesday morning and told them two people were in her house.

When officers arrived, they found the back door had been forced in. Through their investigation, they also discovered that the woman had been sexually assaulted...

Robinson lives across the street from the house where police say at least one man, possibly two, broke into the 100-year-old woman's home and raped her in the middle of the night. "I didn't know somebody could do that to a woman that age," Robinson said. "It's sickening, very sickening."

Wichita Police Captain Troy Livingston says the crime was difficult for officers to grasp. "All rape is a deplorable crime, but when you look at the age of our victim it becomes a little bit more concerning and a little bit more disturbing," Livingston said....
http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/wpd-investigating-rape-of-100yearold-woman/28390652

Quote:
Arrest made in rape of elderly Guthrie woman on Christmas 1997
Oct 24, 2014

GUTHRIE, Okla. —The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations has arrested a man they say is responsible for the rape of an elderly woman on Christmas Day in 1997.

OSBI said DNA evidence pointed to David Jerome Stephens II in the crime. Authorities said Stephens was arrested Wednesday night at his Guthrie home.

On Christmas morning in 1997, an 85-year-old woman was beaten with a pipe and sexually assaulted in her Guthrie home. The woman died in 2008.

DNA was collected on Stephens for a 2013 drug conviction and an OSBI DNA analyst told the OSBI that there was a hit on the case on Wednesday, which led to Stephens arrest.
http://www.koco.com/news/arrest-made-in-1997-rape-of-elderly-guthrie-woman/29300588

Quote:
SCMP Charge Convicted Sex Offender with Rape of Elderly Woman
WSAV-TV
Oct 21, 2014

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - A 62-year-old convicted sex offender has been charged with rape and probation violation after attacking a senior woman in Savannah on Wednesday.

James Thomas Bateman was arrested after Metro Police stopped him near the Thomas Square/Midtown location where the assault took place. He was visiting a women he knew when he attacked her.

Director of the Savannah Rape Crisis Center Kesha Gibson-Carter told WTOC that acquaintance rape is the most common case they see locally and nationally.

“If it's a person that gives you that feeling in your stomach, and you feel that something is just not right about this person or he's acting kinda weird right now, listen to that voice," said Gibson-Carter.

Gibson-Carter says this is the fifth sexual assault of an elderly woman in Savannah this year.

“Seeing that face of a grandmother, seeing that face of a mother, you know of a woman whose lived to the prime of her life. And then, to have to experience a situation like this, it's, it leaves you speechless," Gibson-Carter said.

Bateman previously served a 15 year sentence from a rape and incest charge in 1995 and then served seven months of a 10 year sentence for six counts of failure to register as a sex offender.

Violent Crimes detectives are investigating the incident.
http://www.wtoc.com/story/26849068/convicted-sex-offender-charged-with-rape

I wonder why Hawkeye and BillRM think that so many very elderly women are being raped?
0 Replies

soundsighted

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 10:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The "1 in 5" figure being thrown around is scientific fiction.

The number is based on a flawed study in many aways.

1. The study was done one time, with no follow up.
2. The sample was taken from a very limited population (students on two college campuses) that was not representative of the society at large.
3. The study had a very low response rate. This greatly increases uncertainty because if people who were assaulted are more likely to respond to the study then the numbers are inaccurate. It isn't unreasonable to think that people who were victimized might be more likely to respond and people who weren't victims would be more likely to ignore it.
4. A woman would be counted as part of the 20% if someone had "rubbed up against her" in a sexual way.

Yet, the 1 in 5 women figure, based on a single, politically motivated, scientifically flawed study is now religious truth. It is thrown at you anytime there is any questioning of feminism, and daring to question it brings accusations of "supporting rape".

Rape is clearly an important issue. We should certainly be having a public discussion to address it and to make campus and society at large more safe.

What is wrong with a balanced discussion based on facts, rather than dogma and propaganda?

I think the main problem is that men are not realizing their privilege. We live in a society that condones raping women. Because of our culture which objectifies women's breasts and vaginas to sell things like beer and movies. And it's actually 1 out of every four women that have been proven to have been raped each day. And that's because men have privilege. Most CEOs are men. Most Senators are men. Most policemen are men. Men have the privilege to do whatever they want to women, because no one will believe the woman. That's why most rapists walk free without being prosecuted by the law. Especially on college campuses, where if a woman says that a man raped her, she faces ridicule by both her peers and college officials. This can even lead to her college career being ruined. Men do not face these same problems.

I think that society needs to start helping women, because not much at all is being done. there aren't many support groups out there for women. This needs to change. And all the cat calling is wrong. It should be made illegal to cat call women. There should be some sort of penalty for men who compliment women on the street. Because even if it's just saying "Hope you have a nice evening sweetheart.", that's an invasion of a woman's personal space, and it's in the same realm of violation as rape is.

This stuff has got to end. Men need to quit invading female spaces like college, with their toxic masculinity. And I'm tired of hearing "Not all men are like that." Male tears.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 10:59 pm
@soundsighted,
There are several problems with this (although I actually agree with you on a couple of things).

1. Society does not condone rape. Rapists are prosecuted by the law. Rape is considered by society, and by law, to be one of the most serious crimes. We have sexual offender registries and police squads dedicated to rape. There are even TV shows about prosecuting rape crimes.

2. The biggest place where people are objectified is professional sports where athletes (mainly men) are turned into assets. Often they pay dearly with brain injuries, essentially selling their mental health for the cause of selling beer.

3. It is ridiculous to make complimenting women into a crime. Not only is free speech one of our most sacred civil rights, there are also many women who like to be complimented by men. You are talking about taking civil rights away from both men and women.

4. There are plenty of support groups for women.

5. Colleges are not "female spaces". They still serve both male and female students.

6. There are lots of men who are being prosecuted for rape on college campuses, and lots of women who are being believed when they make rape claims.

7. Masculinity is not toxic (any more than femininity).

Just to be fair, I do agree with you on a couple of points. I would like to see more female CEO's and Senators (although I don't like senators like Michelle Bachman even though she is a woman).

But come on, you really want to make "Have a nice evening" into a criminal act?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 11:04 pm
@soundsighted,
SoundSighted wrote:
Because of our culture which objectifies women's breasts and vaginas to sell things like beer and movies.

When has a vagina ever been used to sell beer?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 11:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Dont you know the rules? Facts are to never get in the way of a heartfelt victim story.
0 Replies

soundsighted

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 11:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
1. Society does not condone rape.

Society tells men that it's oK to think sexually about women, and that is a condonation of rape.

Quote:
2. The biggest place where people are objectified is professional sports where athletes (mainly men) are turned into assets. Often they pay dearly with brain injuries, essentially selling their mental health for the cause of selling beer.

That is false. Those men are getting paid lots of money. The women in movies and ads are being exploited. And the porn industry is the worst. Those women are being used for sex by men who control them.

Quote:
3. Rapists are prosecuted by the law. Rape is considered by society, and by law, to be one of the most serious crimes. We have sexual offender registries and police squads dedicated to rape. There are even TV shows about prosecuting rape crimes.

Not much is being done though. Sometimes when a woman says that's she's been raped after a night of drinking, the man is not prosecuted. Then he walks away scott free.

Quote:
4. It is ridiculous to make complimenting women into a crime. Not only is free speech one of our most sacred civil rights, there are also many women who like to be complimented by men. You are talking about taking civil rights away from both men and women.

Freedom of speech ends when women feel uncomfortable. When you allow men to say "Hey baby, you are pretty", or "You look fine girl." to a woman, that's a compliment she did not ask for, and therefore did not authorize. It's an invasion of personal human space. It's like if a man pulled his penis out in public.

Quote:
5. There are plenty of support groups for women.

Not that many really. There are more for men. It's inequal.

Quote:
6. Colleges are not "female spaces". They still serve both male and female students.

But the walkways should be safe for women to walk. That IS a female space.

Quote:
7. There are lots of men who are being prosecuted for rape on college campuses, and lots of women who are being believed when they make rape claims.

Not from what I've heard. President Obama even gave a speech about it. So did Emma Watson. It's on us guys, he for she. And that's not happening, and that's why rapists get away with it on college campuses.

Quote:
8. Masculinity is not toxic (any more than femininity).

Masculinity is a tool for violence. That's why shootings happen. Women don't commit violence hardly much at all.