Dosage of daily meds

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 02:08 pm
Quote:
A typical dosage of 5-HTP is 100 to 300 mg 3 times daily.
http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21399#P2

Above typical dosage instruction. However I've long wondered how it assumes spacing, whether "daily" implies 12 or 24 hours

roger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 02:10 pm
@dalehileman,
If it doesn't give a clue whether it is taken with or without food, just go morning, noon, and night. It's not worth interrupting sleep patterns to take it once every eight hours.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 02:16 pm
@dalehileman,
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-794-5-htp.aspx?activeingredientid=794&activeingredientname=5-htp

"Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia).[/color] Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP.

5-HTP is used for sleep disorders, depression, anxiety, migraine and tension-type headaches, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and along with prescription drugs to treat seizure disorder and Parkinson's disease.

How does it work?

5-HTP works in the brain and central nervous system by increasing the production of the chemical serotonin. Serotonin can affect sleep, appetite, temperature, sexual behavior, and pain sensation. Since 5-HTP increases the synthesis of serotonin, it is used for several diseases where serotonin is believed to play an important role including depression, insomnia, obesity, and many other conditions."
dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 02:44 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you Rag most kindly for that link. It leaves one to wonder however how easily the early onset of those symptoms might be detected

Nonetheless I tend to be adventurous so getting back to the OP, instructions on the 5-htp jar of 100-mg tabs advise "12-hour Time-Release Formula….Directions: Take 1 tablet, up to 2 times daily, with food," suggesting 24-hour sked not 12

Interesting to note in this connection large diff between these instructions, leading one to wonder still whether NYU's is 12 or 24
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 08:25 pm
@dalehileman,
24 hours
chai2

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 08:32 pm
@chai2,
By the way, I was taking HTP, and it was great. I felt almost immediate results.

However, it would give me diahrrea maybe 45 minutes after taking it. This was a sign there was an overload of it. My nutritionist said stop taking it, and replaced it with something else.

I read about seritonin syndrome, the side effects I was having was one of them. I'll let ya'll look that up.

Another good thing to take, before bed, on an empty stomach, is ZMA.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:04 am
@chai2,
Quote:
24 hours
Thanks Chai but still I'm wondering whether the implication is 3 doses over the 12-18 daylight hours then zero at night, my Better Half's interpretation, and God knows she's smarter than I
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:11 am
@chai2,
Quote:
…. HTP, . great….almost immediate results.
I find full effect doesn't set in for about an hour and a quarter

Quote:
However….. diahrrea…...
Unfortunate. I guess anything can have side effects but still I lean to the "natural" meds. It's paradoxical that given a choice the PM's cost 25 times as much and have 13 times the side effects

Quote:
…... overload of it. My nutritionist said stop taking it, and replaced it with something else.
Pray what did he suggest

Quote:
…... seritonin syndrome…... I'll let ya'll look that up.
Thanks Chai, I shall

Quote:
Another good thing to take, before bed, on an empty stomach, is ZMA.
Ok thanks Chai, I'll look into that
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 12:55 pm
@dalehileman,
http://onelook.com/?w=seritonin+syndrome&ls=a

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=zma
chai2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 12:57 pm
@dalehileman,
Just google it dale re seritonin syndrome.

Re the HTP, take it with breakfast lunch and dinner.

re immediate results, I meant I could feel a difference with the first week. That's immediate to me as far as supplements.

The ZMA gets taken before bed on an empty stomach for a couple of reasons (oh, don't take it with dairy products, it'll bind to the dairy).

It relaxes you to get to sleep faster and rest better. For men, it keeps testosterone from converting to estrogen, and vice versa for women. If you're taking a testosterone gel, apply it at night w/ the ZMA. The first few hours of sleep is when testosterone/estrogen production peaks.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 04:33 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Just google it dale re seritonin syndrome.
That does work better doesn't it

Quote:
Re the HTP, take it with breakfast lunch and dinner.
That's my Better Half's input also. I'd presume therefore that the effect lingers for about 6 hours. But at that rate I'm wondering if 3 tabs isn't overdoing it a bit

Quote:
re immediate results, I meant….. first week….immediate to me…...
Okay you're forgiven

Quote:
The ZMA gets taken before bed.…….sleep faster and rest better……..
I'm more interested in mood than sleep.

Quote:
.when testosterone/estrogen production peaks
. What other effects do you suppose with increased testosterone
chai2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 04:51 pm
@dalehileman,
Honestly dale.....and I have no evidence to back this up....I don't this taking this supplement is something like getting an effect from a drug that gives you a sense of well being.

It's more like something that intergrates into your system and is in place all the time.

Don't overthink it.

As far as effects of increased testosterone available in your system? The usual, you'll be more man.

For me, after a while, don't know how long, maybe a couple weeks, I looked at my post-menopausal body and thought "wow, I'm looking more curvy"
Germlat

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 05:03 pm
@dalehileman,
100-300mg daily( split into 24hours). Means...the dose can vary but NOT over 300mg per day. If split it could be 10omg 3 times a day (100 mg every 8 hours) or 33.3 or so mg three times a day. Did someone prescribe this for you?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 10:02 am
@Germlat,
Quote:
100-300mg daily( split into 24hours). Means...the dose can vary but NOT over 300mg per day.
Thanks Germ but the NYU link seems to think 900 mg okay

Quote:
…….Did someone prescribe this for you?
No
dalehileman

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:49 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Honestly dale.....I don't this…..gives you a sense of well being.
But it does

…presuming you're referring to 5-htp

Quote:
….. integrates…... in place all the time.
Ah were that true, would save me a bundle

Quote:
Don't overthink it.
I'll try not to

Quote:
…... increased testosterone.? …... you'll be more man.
Hafta look into this. More man but sleepier one

Quote:
For me, …..."wow, I'm looking more curvy"
Then you must be a girl

..sleepy one
chai2

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 01:05 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Then you must be a girl

..sleepy one

I'm a post menopausal woman. My body had started to do that reverting to a slightly less womanly figure that happens.

The ZMA has helped. I retain more of the little bit of estrogen my body still produces.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 03:23 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
100-300mg daily( split into 24hours). Means...the dose can vary but NOT over 300mg per day.
Thanks Germ but the NYU link seems to think 900 mg okay

Quote:
…….Did someone prescribe this for you?
No
What's it for anyway?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 03:47 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
What's it for anyway?
Mood, Germ. Google 5-htp and you'll see, lots of hits
Germlat

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 04:29 pm
@dalehileman,
Ok...I'll read about it.
chai2

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 05:56 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat, this from Wiki, although I'm sure you've already read it.....

-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), also known as oxitriptan (INN), is a naturally occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as a metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan.

I'm on zoloft, as my body's ability to work w/ seritonin is permanently damaged from stressful events going back to childhood. Wally and I went to, and consider our nutritionist an important part of our health.

For me, the 5-htp enhances the effects of the zoloft, making it more effective. However, as stated before, it gave me undesirable side effects. I think the zoloft is doing as good a job as it can, and the 5-htp was a little overkill. On the other hand, my system has always been sensitive to anything taken, so what might have been great for someone else (it did make me feel really good) is too much for me.

BTW dale, I just look up my records, and he had me on 100 mg, twice a day, @ breakfast and dinner.

900 seems like a lot. I'm just sayin'