"Watching the Submarine Races"

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 12:55 pm
Do you know what "watching the submarine races" means?

My parents used to use it, and I wondered if anyone here has heard of it.

I know what they meant by it, but I'm not sure if it's just a thing my family used to say, or if it's an old expression, and I wanted to see if anyone else knows this expression and what it means.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 17,586 • Replies: 25

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 12:57 pm
I have no clue, but I digged "One of our Submarines" by Thomas Dolby, at the time.

That's one weird expression...
roger

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:03 pm
Oh, com'on, you guys. You can watch submarine races in the middle of the desert. It's kind of like "parking", which is another old euphemism for making out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:23 pm
I used to watch the submarine races in a rest stop off the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn, right on the water. It sure was hard to see those subs at night, so my boyfriend and I found ways to amuse ourselves while we were waiting.

I NEVER knew that they had submarine races in the desert! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:26 pm
I must be too young....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:28 pm
Cool! So it isn't just a little known family thing! I wonder if it isn't fading out though, like "balling the jack".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:30 pm
Or "jacking the ball"...I think that's mafia-speak for what happens when you sleep with the bosses wife.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:34 pm
For those who are into the history of nostalgia:

http://markmcdermott.home.mindspring.com/PCE/Wolfman.txt

Quote:
Wolfman Jack's guttural delivery borrowed from blues singer Howlin' Wolf, baying R&B slang and double entendres, telling listeners to "get nekkid" and coining "watching the submarine races" as a euphemism for necking on lover's lane.

Sigh- I straightened out that post. I tried to fix it when I saw that I had hit the wrong buttons, but then my ISP went kerflooey on me, and I had to reset it!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:37 pm
Wow, thanks Phoenix! Very interesting. I'll have to see if my parents remember him starting that.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:19 am
Now, I always thought Watching the Submarine Races meant that something was dull... something's going on but we can't see it. (Like maybe someone else necking?)

Was in a classroom waiting for class to start. Graduate level fluid dynamics. So I turn to the fellow next to me and say 'This is as exciting as watching the submarine races.'

'Ah-hem!' from behind me...

I turn around and it's the campus Navy ROTC Commander... 'Wathing submarine races is WAY more exciting.'

I conceded the point.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 07:20 am
I knew it was slang for necking going back to the '50's but I didn't know Wolfman Jack coined it.

It still amazes me that guy had so much influence on rock and roll, the radio industry, the times, and the culture.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 07:48 am
Well, whaddaya know? I grew up in Chicago and thought it was a local line for necking on the lakefront. I can remember my brother, somewhat embarrassed, explaining to me what it meant.
Necking. Now there's a lost art. Do kids even do that anymore or is it just straight to the sex?
roger

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:08 am
You certainly don't need water to watch submarine races. They are UNDERWATER anyway.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:41 am
Thanks Phoenix. WJ was part of my life growing up but I didn't know much about him.
0 Replies

dragonone

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 01:02 pm
@eoe,
Not that I am an expert, but I always thought there was a subliminal message to the submarine races, as when the commander shouts "Dive, Dive etc" who could get under the girls skirt the first. Of course you had to have two or three couples in the car. Was there anything to that?
dragonone

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:57 am
@dragonone,
Actually the watching the submarine races are predated by what Bing Crosby sang about called the Old Ox Road in a 1920s or early 1930s song. It appears to be any romantic spot where a boy or girl could go to laugh and talk while kissing and holding hands. A lonely lane where they could walk, sitting on the porch swing or even in a darkened theater on the very last row. Someone mentioned that those romantic moments have been superceded by just hoping into bed now and proceding to the sexual experience. How unfortunate for they miss the fun of romance. Wolfman Jack may have been the originator of the term "Watching the Submarine Races, I don't know about that, but being near the water was not a necessity. A farm kid in the middle of nowhere had just as many opportunities as the city kid with a shinny car and probably had more fun. Moonlit nights on the farm provided many magicial moments for young lovers.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 09:09 am
i used to spend some time watching for luminious ducks
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:37 pm
@dragonone,
Gosh, I hope not. I never could understand how couples necked, not to mention anything more, in the presence of others. I guess when you're young, privacy is limited to a degree but jeez"
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:47 pm
Wolfman Jack may have used it, but I'm not so sure he coined it--New York DJs, Alan Freed and Murray the K, at least, were using it in the 50s too. Coincidentally there're several recent threads that some newbie kid doing homework started, about why submarines were invented and what they did (duh), in which answerers have brought in submarine races. I suspect the references went right over the kids head (or maybe considering they're submarines, right under him).
Old Lang Guy

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 07:44 pm
@kickycan,
Also, a submarine is shaped like a cigar and full of seamen. And most importantly, if you go down on one, it's only because you know it's going to come up!