"Watching the Submarine Races"

roger

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 08:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
Kind of a delayed answer, but I recall references to submarine races in the early '60s.
chai2

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 08:09 pm
@roger,
Yes, this is the first time I've seen this thread, but we used that expression even even the 70's.

My mom and dad used to say they were going to watch the submarine races when they would go out for a drive and sit at the Manasquan/Point Pleasant inlet.
0 Replies

James M Dean

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 04:05 pm
Pearsonaly - I was a good kid when i was growing up in the 50's I N E V E R "Watched the Submarine Races" At lease I never got caught at it by my oldies (parents) P.S my little sister was conceived in the middle of a corn field - I guess we wern't the first generation to Watching the Submarine Races .

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/topic-25252URL: http://able2know.org/reply/topic-25252!!!!

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/topic-25252
0 Replies

F7-ACiD

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:34 pm
After looking up Wolfman Jack on Wikipedi, he couldn't have possibly coined the term.
When I was a kid my parents had an album titled something like "Music for Watching the Submarine Races" that was released before he first borrowed Creed's act and became the Wolfman.

I wondered at the strange title, as I was only in grade school at the time. But over the years I gathered it had something to do with necking on the beach... entirely based on the album cover, which featured an amorous couple by the water.

When I asked my father he told me I was basically right. So into my teens I thought it meant fooling around to some extent or another, on the beach.
I've always loved near the ocean, on both coasts, and grew up spending any free time either on Long Beach Island, or on a boat. So a national euphemism Specifically for fooling around on the beach seemed natural to me. That's where everyone I knew went before we had our own places, or were too young or too poor to get a decent hotel room.

As for Submarine Races in the desert? The euphemism just doesn't seem to fit a dry or landlocked area as well as it does the coasts.

I imagine it might have started as a coastal saying, and spread inward, partially thanks to a combination of getting a car being a major American teenage right of passage, and a major expression of freedom, and American teenage culture really connecting and defining itself by listening to terrestrial radio In those cars. And as we know, there were apparently several of the more popular DJs, in populous areas, that used the euphemism in their shows.

It just wouldn't make sense for a water based euphemism to have started in a landlocked area or state (the part of our country I call The Filler, or The Stuffingđź–•), but makes sense starting in either a populous coastal area (LA, NY?), Or perhaps starting in the US Navy.

That's just MHO....
0 Replies

stanlysteve

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 02:09 pm
@cavfancier,
Its a reference to people hooking up at the point at Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans. So, a guy would ask a girl if she'd like to go watch the "submarine races" at the point, and she'd usually say ya. So, they'd just sit there waiting for the submarines to surface but theyre waiting so long that they usually just end up hooking up etc.... This is where the band name The Submarine Racers comes from I think. don't know em? check em out
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 02:49 pm
@Old Lang Guy,
Old Lang Guy wrote:

Also, a submarine is shaped like a cigar and full of seamen. And most importantly, if you go down on one, it's only because you know it's going to come up!

Oh that was terrible, get off the stage.
0 Replies