Is it okay to date a guy that is 23 when I am 15

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 01:20 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
A rule of thumb for determining the social acceptability of the age gap between romantic partners is to divide by two and add seven.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2010/12/dont_mind_the_gap.html

a guy 23 (lets make it 22 just to make the math easier) gets us 22/2=11+ 7=18

15 fails this test
0 Replies

lfc

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 05:26 am
No it doesn't. Have you got no love. You just "Use and Throw" girls huh?
Germlat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 09:34 am
@lfc,
Does it fail the test if a 15 yearl-old girl is dating a 9 year-old?
0 Replies

lfc

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 04:22 am
It can or it cannot. Depends on the situation.
0 Replies

lfc

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 09:13 am
Isn't it?
0 Replies

lfc

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 04:13 am
It would be awkward....isn't it?
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 04:48 am
@Hotpinkbug,
Depends on what state you live in, but in some states that would be considered statutory rape.
0 Replies

kajla00007

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 03:11 am
@Hotpinkbug,
If you are 15 and your partner is 23 years old. No problems, or something say problem, Not important. What do you thinking? Are you satisfied with him? If you are satisfied, then no problem, if you are not satisfied with him, then you facing problems. may be or not may be, your choice.
0 Replies

Ola Olson

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 05:58 am
@Hotpinkbug,
If you think in a legal way, then it is not correct anyone take the legal action they have an authority to take the action regarding this seriously they will call the cop. The problem is you are not major, that's the major problem wait till until you enter in the major category then after no one will going to use this kind of words.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 06:29 am
I'm going to tell you this way.

You are in love with him. He is in love with you.

Then, it's OK for both of you to date, and in order of not having problems with the law, avoid having sexual contact until you are in the allowed age in your jurisdiction to do so.

If both of you are truly in love, you will wait until the right moment for taking a further step in your relationship.

In reality, biologically speaking, a girl becomes a woman when she starts her menstruation. By restrictions made by our culture, the girl cannot be considered a woman (read adult) until 16, 17 and 18 years old (depending of the jurisdiction), but this is a social issue, biologically you are a woman already.

So, if you are conscious that you must wait until the right moment to have sex according to the law, then you can continue dating the lucky guy who loves you and is corresponded by you.

And give thanks to your mother, who might see in him the right man for you. Hope things develop the best for you.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 10:10 am
@carloslebaron,
Quote:
In reality, biologically speaking, a girl becomes a woman when she starts her menstruation.

Said who?

Being an adult man or woman isn't just about sex. It is also about responsibility. We let adult women drive, vote, drink and own firearms. Do you really think that a 12 or 13 or 14 year old kid is ready to be an adult?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 10:28 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
In reality, biologically speaking, a girl becomes a woman when she starts her menstruation.

Said who?

Being an adult man or woman isn't just about sex. It is also about responsibility. We let adult women drive, vote, drink and own firearms. Do you really think that a 12 or 13 or 14 year old kid is ready to be an adult?

If gaining the ability to breed does not make a female biologically a woman then what does? I have no problem saying that an 11 year old is a woman, because I know that we used to believe it, This idea of 10-20 year olds (and now even older) being children is very modern, and to my mind not very helpful.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
If gaining the ability to breed does not make a female biologically a woman then what does? I have no problem saying that an 11 year old is a woman, because I know that we used to believe it,

I thought I answered that. Adulthood has to do with responsibility the ability to make rational mature decisions and the ability to function independently in society. An 11 year doesn't have any of these traits (in the context of modern society).

You say you have no problem saying that an 11 year old is an adult.

Would you have a problem allowing an 11 year old to drive?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:43 pm
@maxdancona,
If you are going to peg biological adulthood on responsibility then you are going to have to tell how you are going to measure this. Are you going to develope a brain scanner to tell you when a human brain has reached adult status?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think setting a date when the majority of people have reach a level of responsibility and the ability to act autonomously is as a good a way to do this as any. It is arbitrary, but it seems to work well.

And it avoids the uncomfortable image of an 11 year being left to fend on her own. The idea that a 18 year old being left on her own is not so uncomfortable is exactly the point.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:36 pm
To be quite honest, 16 is fine. 15 is a great age to start a relationship with someone, as long as "sex" truly, truly is something that you guys are honest about waiting on, while establishing something when "sex" cannot be a thing. In a way, it gives you both an incentive to know why you love each other and why you want to be together when "sex" is at the back side of your mind for legal reasons. If the guy wants to **** you as soon as you turn legal, well, he's not a good man, but a fool - if he shows any irritation or agitation when you do not give him your 16 year old body, leave him immediately, dear. There are really easy ways to test your man without him testing you, understand? Don't let the idiots on here tell you what is right and what is wrong; they are self-righteous fools that don't understand how to live a feral life without living an immoral life. Sure he's 23, and you're 15. It's not like you're 12, or some ****. It's not like he chose a younger girl over you, when she's more naive and stupid than you are - if you ask me, this is a moment between a girl and a guy where "sex" truly can be ignored so the two can explore the foundation of their relationship rather than the "core", which comes down to "sex" as per biological drives. Test your man, dear. Do not trust anyone - test everyone. That is the way of a warrior.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 06:53 pm
@maxdancona,
See? your ideas are based in our current culture.

In the past, a 17 years old was getting "old" already to get married. Women used to get married at 13, 14 years old and forward. Still there are cultures in other nations where they allow 14 years old women to get married. Check some parts in India as an example.

The Western culture in the past also allowed the marriage of young 13 years old women.

Today, the Western culture has changed, the age of a woman to be married has been raised to 18 years old by herself or 17 with the consent of parents in many places.

The change is not because the young woman is not an "adult" at 13 years old, but the idea is to give her a chance to finish school, perhaps to start a career, etc.

But, BIOLOGICALLY SPEAKING, when a girl starts her menstruation she has become a woman, biologically an adult woman capable to conceive and be a mother.

About your points as responsibility, etc. you are all right, such is part of our culture, but when is about "scientific facts" the girl who starts menstruation is already a woman.

I know you don't like the scientific fact, but my position stands in what can be proved as a true in science.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 08:12 pm
@carloslebaron,
Right, with any animal or bug we label it adult once it can reproduce or once it goes through some externally obvious physical change. When humans grow pubic hair, the females grow breasts, and the females
Can birth a baby seems to me to be the point at which the humans are adults. This business about saying that we cant call humans adults till they are 18, or 26, because we are not comfortable with calling them adults seems to be an act of enforced fantasy. I think there is justification for doing this to a point, but that it long ago got out of hand. This is part of the reason why I have a lot of trouble finding people under 25 to work in my restaurant, it is a big part of why so many young people are lazy idiots ( aka, are useless).

I get told that young people are fine, that old people always think young people suck. No way, my memory of the generation that I was part of is not that foggy, we had stupid lazy people then but they were the exception, not the norm as they are now.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 08:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Btw, I have long advocated for full sexual freedom at 15yo, 16 at the latest. I have yet to know of even one other a2k member that agrees with me.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 09:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Right, with any animal or bug we label it adult once it can reproduce or once it goes through some externally obvious physical change.

Yes, but animals and bugs don't get jobs, drive cars, own guns, buy alchohol or vote when they are adults.

There is a big difference between humans and any other animal or bug.