RainSoft water softener problems

Joethewaterguy

Mon 23 Aug, 2010 02:04 pm
@Robert 747,
how many years is several? how old is your system ? model number?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:10 am
The best advice I can give:

Don't buy a RainSoft system.

If you have a RainSoft system, replace it with a new softener powered by a Fleck control valave.
WV Coalminer

Wed 22 Dec, 2010 10:53 pm
@H2O MAN,
We have had our RS system since 1983. Yes there have been a few maintenance issues. But, I have only used RS servicemen three times, I've fixed everything else my self. When I did use a serviceman I watched what he did so I could do it the next time. I change the o-rings and lube them with DOW 111 every 6 months when we used well water. Since getting city water I only change them once a year. I use IRON OUT every 6 months just to keep things cleaned out and we do not use salt that leaves filth in my brine tank. If you think about it the system is pretty simple to understand. Keep the timer clean and lubricated with penetrating oil so nothing rusts, clean the crud out of the brine tank, change the o-rings and you won't have any problems. Today I noticed the brine tank full of water. I ran the system and saw it was skipping the rinse cycle which put everyting out of time... Changed the o-rings and watched the system run again skipping the rinse. I noticed that motor was jumping a bit. The mounting bracket was bent… straightened it with pliers, easy fix now it runs like new! Before you buy a cheaper unit look and see what you are NOT getting.
H2O MAN

Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:54 am
You learned well. I hope you can keep in running for many years to come, just remember that your system is obsolete and parts are scarce. I have some 40 year old RainSoft systems that are working 100% today - they can go on and on as long as you can get parts.

0 Replies

corey williams

Mon 14 Feb, 2011 07:20 am
Good day to all...I have a rainsoft system and I am pleased with it. I recently cleaned my salt tank, refilled it with salt and now it is not working properly and my tank is fill with water. What should I do. The motor head is working and all, but I can tell that the water is not being treated. What did I do wrong?
Joethewaterguy

Mon 14 Feb, 2011 02:18 pm
@corey williams,
not knowing what type of system that you have I'd say that you probably have an air leak where the brine line attaches to the elbow going into the brine tank, if thats a 3/8" line. Reseat the brine line and see what happens, usually people clean the brine tank and don't push it all the way in until it's seated.
corey williams

Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:32 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
I will try it and let you know if that does it. It has happened before and that was the problem, but it seems as if it is seated correctly. I so appreciate your response and I will get on it tomorrow first thing and let you know the result. Where would the leak come from the line or where it connects?
0 Replies

corey williams

Wed 23 Feb, 2011 08:26 am
@Joethewaterguy,
Joe, good day sir..I cleaned out the salt tank, I cleaned the filter, replaced the same salt that was in the tank, and a few days later the tank again is 1/2 water, 1/2 salt. I am sure that the hose is secured at the connector, but it is still getting water in it. Any suggestions? Should I have put new salt back in the tank opposed to the salt that was exposed to the water?
Joethewaterguy

Wed 23 Feb, 2011 04:29 pm
@corey williams,
do you have a model number? is this a brass valve, or composite? What size line is the brine line, that'll give me a clue
corey williams

Wed 23 Feb, 2011 04:41 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Thanks Joe, I hope you are well today...
The end that goes to the brine tank is bear and the end connected to the motor is brass. I am not sure of the model number and the hose is probably 2/4 " in circumference or near that.
0 Replies

dssmith1

Sat 26 Feb, 2011 02:52 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Sorry to jump in here and threadjack, but you seem to be the person who can answer my question. I have a rainsoft AM24. I will NOT give the local rainsoft crooks any more money. I've just ordered a fleck 5600sxt to replace the timer and valve assembly. It's been an easy, straight forward swap thus far. What I need to know is, what is the capacity of the AM24? The tank is a 7" diameter tank (if that helps). Thanks in advance.
Joethewaterguy

Fri 4 Mar, 2011 12:16 pm
@dssmith1,
the people that you bought the fleck valve from should be able to tell you the capacity of the unit.
0 Replies

jaysher

Sat 5 Mar, 2011 08:02 am
@Pugama,
I am buying a house with a Rainsoft softener installed. Where can I get an owner's manual for the unit? The model number is AMB 744 CT 60HZ. The label says it was manufactured April 2000. I have been unable to find anything so far online...
0 Replies

wrstitt16

Sat 14 May, 2011 09:48 am
@gobansheego,
can you help me with rainsoft equipment?
H2O MAN

Sat 14 May, 2011 10:16 am
@wrstitt16,
wrstitt16 wrote:

can you help me with rainsoft equipment?

I've been working on RainSoft systems since the 1980's.
What do you have and what do you need?
H2O MAN

Sat 14 May, 2011 10:17 am
@dssmith1,
24,000 grains.
0 Replies

DAlley06

Fri 27 May, 2011 05:54 pm
@TLeeM,
I would be more than happy to walk you thru over the phone how to correct your issue. I am based out of St. Louis and have over 20 years experience. Send me an email and I will forward you my number.
[email protected]
0 Replies

DAlley06

Fri 27 May, 2011 06:00 pm
@endorf,
My opinion is he put in a resin cleaner, not replaced it. That takes a fair amount of time to do. You would have to empty the tank completely after disconnecting it. Then pour in the replacement resin.

Do you have rusty water? Well Water? If so you can purchase Iron Out over the counter to help keep it clean. Unfortunately this is not a permanent fix. Rust is one of the worst problems for resin. Eventually you will have to replace the resin depending on how bad your rust is.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have other questions. [email protected]
0 Replies

FLePersona

Thu 15 Sep, 2011 10:59 am
@PureWater,
Looked on Fl AG website as "PureWater" suggested; there are no complaints against Rainsoft.
0 Replies

whyworry78

Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:34 am
@H2O MAN,
can you help with a gold series that has a high pitched squell It is 2001 and is just now starting sometimes the water seems soft than sometimes it doesn't. Salt seems to be ok. Thanks for any help. [email protected]
0 Replies