Strange sinus sickness

snood

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 07:19 pm
I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced something like this. I started smelling a foul smell in the house - like maybe the cats had started using the floor instead of the litter box, or something. I searched all around - even did some preemptive cleaning. Then I realized - the smell was coming from inside my own nose - I had mucous that smelled like sewage. I immediately started in with the saline sinus rinses, but that only alleviated the problem for an hour or two, then it was right back again. So I go see my doctor. She's never heard of it, and says we should treat it like a regular sinus infection with a strong 7-day antibiotic regimen. The 7 days was done about 5 days ago - and the nauseating smell is still there, along with some pressure. So I'm trying to get a consult to an ENT doc, but... Has anyone had this, or know of anyone who has?
It's about the weirdest ailment I've ever had, and its creepy because my doctor didn't say "Oh, sure! I know what that is... it's..." she said she'd never heard of it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,818 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 07:31 pm
@snood,
Hmmm. How about a visit to an ear nose and throat doc?

Or maybe you have some damn thing up your nose? You'd probably feel that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 07:31 pm
@snood,
I have no idea. I hope it is not serious.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 07:37 pm
@snood,
Are your sinuses draining at all?

Stinky mucus isn't an unfamiliar symptom for anyone who's had chronic sinusitis following a cold or following a bad allergic episode.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 10:04 pm
@snood,
Snood, do you still have your tonsils? If you want to PM me that would be fine, but I have noticed that condition in several folks and in fact mr. g had that problem, and it turned out to be waxy white lumps that grew in his pitted tonsils. I had these extra long que tips which we would use to get down to the tonsil and dislodge the waxy buildup. For the patient, it sucks to have these waxy shapes stuck in the tonsil, but if you dislodge them with a long que tip, you can spit it out and chances are it won't come back. Depending on how many you have, you might want to proceed over several days. I have never asked a dentist about this, but I should. Mr. g got cleaned up quickly, no more bad breath for him. All you need to do, is look in your mouth, check out the tonsils, and if you see very small white dots, you are seeing the tip of the iceberg. Poke those dots with the que-tip and those nasty waxy lumps will tumble out, I recommend spitting them out as soon as it is dislodged, then work on as many others as you can. However, if you have trouble, please send me a PM. I know exactly what it smells like, and it has nothing to do with proper brushing, flossing, or mouthwash. Your hygiene routine is probably perfect, sometimes when we only see tiny white dots we think they couldn't possibly be the problem, but they are.
roger

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 11:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Awesome, and I hope it works for him.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 12:55 pm
@snood,
I have my tonsils and have had the same thing litterbag was talking about. I go to the ENT every 6 months or so nd get a quick rinse and an inspection. It appears that theres a statistical relationship between these conditions and sinus cancer. So its easy to inspect and, if things like polyps develop, they can be extracted in an out patient visit. Its not comfortable but, like getting your teeth cleaned, whats the alternative?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 01:24 pm
@farmerman,
wiki, for whatever it's worth (interesting, but near useless diagram).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsils
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 01:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, interesting enough to research more elsewhere. They do go into what the white dots are made of, which is helpful.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 02:39 pm
@snood,
Hope you get it sorted. I found this discussion board if it's of any help.

http://www.patient.co.uk/forums/discuss/breath-smells-like-faeces-poo--12746?page=2

I don't want to panic you, but someone suggested phantom smells might be linked to a tumour. (I thought about keeping this to myself, but thought best to tell you so you could get yourself checked out. If it was, and I'd kept it to myself I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. It is very unlikely though)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 02:48 pm
@izzythepush,
That is mentioned in wiki too. I think the sense of it was something like occasionally. I take it via wiki that the smell is mercaptan related.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 10:07 am
@snood,
Hey Snood, has any of this helped? I seriously would like to know. I hate nagging problems, especially those that can be corrected simply, without the need for MRI and other expensive useless tests.
0 Replies