What have we done?

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 09:55 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/28/us/seaworld-blackfish-complaint/
"SeaWorld claims ethics breaches by OSHA investigator"

I can't find anything on the net where SeaWorld states that the movie and the people involved are lying about their training and what they were told about Orcas.

I do believe that SeaWorld is not abusing these Orcas. I also believe the people who work there are doing the best they can to take care of them.

The Orcas are not toys and should not be used for entertainment. It is wrong.

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 10:03 pm
I like it when killer whales eat their trainers..Smile
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 11:27 pm
@trying2learn,
Quote:
and should not be used for entertainment. It is wrong

A interesting position now would you care to explain why under your moral code it is wrong instead of just giving a flat statement that it is wrong?

They surely are not toys but then no animal is a toy from polar bears in a zoo to my cat who is about to walk on my keyboard or even the pigs who had gotten their throats cut a few weeks ago so I can have bacon and eggs tomorrow morning.

So why is having this type of animal doing entertainment wrong under your moral code?
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 11:46 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
I like it when killer whales eat their trainers..

How do you feel when they killed and eat seals and dolphins two fairly high level and intelligent mammals themselves?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 02:42 pm
@BillRM,
Animals and fishes eat each other because it's their normal natural behaviour, and when they also sometimes eat their keepers it makes for great youtube viewing..Smile
BillRM

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 03:38 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Animals and fishes eat each other because it's their normal natural behaviour,

If y0u say so however controlling animals for our own benefits is in our nature beginning with our hunting partner the dog/wolf and using killer whales to entertain is hardly in and of itself animal abused.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:02 pm
I think sea world executives should swim daily with Tilikum.

In seal costumes.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 12:07 am
@trying2learn,
Quote:
The Orcas are not toys and should not be used for entertainment. It is wrong.

So I guess I was wrong all those years that I considered my kids to be top notch entertainment..... Shocked
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 01:27 am
@trying2learn,
All animal loves would love nothing more than to see "all" animals free amongst their own in-habitat not cages up, closed in by man for the purpose of entertainment, or money. BUT, it happens.

Now this Orcas obviously was peeved off at where it ended up and so retaliated as such a trainer died.

On a side note. An animal/s dying so we can eat bacon and eggs is well, natural.. We all eat food.. It depends on how that animal is killed. Then again eggs aren't killed, well they are kinda..
BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 07:56 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
All animal loves would love nothing more than to see "all" animals free amongst their own in-habitat not cages up, closed in by man for the purpose of entertainment, or money. BUT, it happens.

Oh? So I should not have allow the cats that had walked into my life over the decades to do so and should have instead demanded that they have short lives outside with no human to take care of them?

Horses should never had been put to work by mankind and should be allow short lives instead in a few small wild herds?

Dogs should never had come into being at all by the actions of mankind breeding them from the wolf?

Quote:
An animal/s dying so we can eat bacon and eggs is well, natural.. We all eat food..

We however are allow to keep animals for the soul purpose of killing and eating them?

footnote: there is a gentleman who make his and his cats a living in Key West Florida by having them put on a street show for tourists by having them doing such things as jumping through rings of fire IE a similar show to what you would see in a circus with the big cats.

People such as yourself try to get the show ban under the theory that he must be forcing his cats in some manner to do this act with special note of the fire jumping part of the act and in fact his act is of it face animal abused.

He show up with one of his "stars" on his shoulder at the town meeting over the matter and there was no question of the mutual love between those cats and their "owner".

There is nothing wrong with using animals to entertain and it is not in itself animal abused.
BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 08:22 am
@BillRM,
The Key West show that some try to get ban under the theory it was animal abused.

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/19/195499/a-wild-looking-guy-a-cat-jumps-through-a-flam-L-boT9zK.jpeg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GF6XvFqIzxs/TMulxZSBGrI/AAAAAAAACLk/WJFHmfUJ2Dg/s400/IMG_0142.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GF6XvFqIzxs/TMulxlb7phI/AAAAAAAACLs/MW1N3xv7YY8/s400/IMG_0151.JPG

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 08:30 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

The Key West show that some try to get ban under the theory it was animal abused.

Not sure if that's abusive or not (given the limited amount of photos and what goes on during the show) but it does look kind of stupid and should end on that account alone.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 08:34 am
@trying2learn,
Blackfish (2013) is my favorite documentary from last year. Blackfish was clearly snubbed by the Oscars this year. It looks like it can actually change things in the real world, unlike its Oscar winning predecessor The Cove (2009) which depicted the illegal and cruel herding and slaughter of dolphins by the Japanese.
BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 08:57 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Not sure if that's abusive or not (given the limited amount of photos and what goes on during the show) but it does look kind of stupid and should end on that account alone.

I guess we are all lucky you are not king of the world including the animals.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:04 am
@BillRM,
Are you incapable of reading sarcasm in people's words (if they don't have an accompanying emoticon)? Yep. I believe these no budget animal performances in public performances are too cheesy (we don't have them in NYC) but I don't expect to literally shut down because their low brow pandering.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 09:21 am
@tsarstepan,
Tsars: Cove (2009) which depicted the illegal and cruel herding and slaughter of dolphins by the Japanese.
//////////

Ever the hypocrite, Tsars. Millions of humans slaughtered by the USA and you get your panties in a twist about dolphins.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 01:06 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
So why is having this type of animal doing entertainment wrong under your moral code?
It isn't just this animal, other wild animals too. Wild animals are not toys! They should not in my "moral code" be made to do tricks for the amusement of people.

Btw I am just as guilty for paying to swim with dolphins. I honestly thought the dolphins I swam with were rescue dolphins. After speaking with the trainer, I was shocked. Hell no they weren't rescue dolphins and those trainers had a 1 day class to learn about them.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 01:19 pm
I have a good friend who's job is literally to save whales (with a phd in marine biology) - now granted orcas are dolphins not whales, but she has done work around them as well.

Any way - from her professional education and research -- doing these daily shows are extremely stressful and orcas and dolphins actually have shorter lives on average in captivity than in the wild as a result. Unlike our own cats and dogs and domestic pets. That is why you see them do crazy things like kill a trainer they seem to love -- they get overly stressed.

She does not promote them as a result. However, she does acknowlege all the great work places like seaworld does to promote education on these animals. She can recognize there is some benefit. In other words these poor creatures that end up performing -- end up helping the species as a whole by educating through gulp entertainment. And she does acknowlege those that work with them do care about them. She doesn't approve of using them in this way and herself uses other ways (whale watches and such as educating the public).

trying2learn

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 01:29 pm
@Linkat,
Orcas are dolphins? If your friend has a phd, then maybe your friend should enlighten you.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 02:11 pm
@BillRM,
Ah Bill. There you are, as usual.

Quote:
not cages up, closed in by man for the purpose of entertainment, or money.

One day you may read properly into things.
0 Replies