What have we done?

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 03:31 pm
As long as there are dumb numbnut people around who pay to gawk at captive creatures, there'll always be zoos and marine parks and shows around
Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 03:33 pm
@trying2learn,
yes they are please refer to the attached or do a little internet research before you insult.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/killer-whale/

trying2learn

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:17 am
@Linkat,
I never wrote they aren't so please don't read into what I didn't write. Maybe people should do some research before they make blanket statements.

Where is the insult?
BillRM

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 03:50 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
As long as there are dumb numbnut people around who pay to gawk at captive creatures, there'll always be zoos and marine parks and shows around

Interesting point of view that a desire in seeing/viewing animals from around the world is somehow wrong and the people who support zoos are numbnuts.

Not to mention that without zoos breeding programs any number of species would no longer exist either in the wilds or in the zoos.

Nice to have such a simple minded viewpoint of the world where zoos and the supporters of zoos are bad and or numbnuts.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 06:29 am
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

Orcas are dolphins? If your friend has a phd, then maybe your friend should enlighten you.

Your quote -- granted you do not state they aren't -- but the obvious insult and intent is in there -- saying my friend with a phd needs to enlighten me - certainly makes it apparanent you think I am wrong. Not to menation the question mark as if they are not.

No research needed -- simple reading and quoting your statement is necessary. But if research is needed --en·light·en
/enˈlītn/
verb
verb: enlighten; 3rd person present: enlightens; past tense: enlightened; past participle: enlightened; gerund or present participle: enlightening1. give (someone) greater knowledge and understanding about a subject or situation.

I did not need enlightening as I was correct in my statement and therefore did not need greater knowledge and understanding about this subject.

The ironic thing was --- I was enlightening you on the subject with research.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:43 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: As long as there are dumb numbnut people around who pay to gawk at captive creatures, there'll always be zoos and marine parks and shows around
BillRM replied: without zoos breeding programs any number of species would no longer exist either in the wilds or in the zoos.

Animals have survived quite happily on their own for millions of years without "zoo breeding programs"..Wink
Most bosses of zoos and marine centres etc are in it just to make money
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat: did not need enlightening as I was correct in my statement and therefore did not need greater knowledge and understanding about this subject.

//////

You sure do on some others, Linkat.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 09:09 pm
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T7LFG32TUyQ
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 09:35 pm
I went to SeaWorld some years ago. Did not give this matter of alleged animal cruelty a thought, but I did feel like I paid way too much and vowed never to return.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 10:46 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Animals have survived quite happily on their own for millions of years without "zoo breeding programs"..Wink
Most bosses of zoos and marine centres etc are in it just to make money

Give me a break mother nature have had periods when there was not a human on earth had wiped out 90 percents of all animal lives on the planet in very short time frames and animals types are constantly going extinct at a lesser rate.

Zoos had in fact save a number of species from that fate.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 11:11 pm
@BillRM,
The estimate is that 200 species a day go extinct, what would be a few more? I dont really care about this saviour fetish that we have going on big time, I just like to take kids to the zoo when they are young. It is fun. I also like strip clubs and $300 fancy smancky dinners, so ya, it is supposed to be all about me.
BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 12:46 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The estimate is that 200 species a day go extinct

Those are bullshits numbers dealing with guess estimates of insects sub-species extinct in the rain forests not major life forms.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:36 am
@BillRM,
if zebras died out and there were not any in zoos would even 100,000 people know? their value to us now is largely in their entertainment value. People who want to see the animals stick around a bit longer should be champions of zoos, just not for the reasons you think.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:32 pm
@trying2learn,
They are a lot closer to dolphins than whales
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 06:30 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:

actually, >99.9% of all animal species that ever lived are extinct.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 01:38 am
I take great comfort in Orcas.

Clearly they are very intelligent and very caring of their own.

They kill, eat meat, and actually play with their prey in a way that many would consider cruel.

They are, for humans, a beloved species of God's Creation and like us they dominate their enironment. Give them opposable thumbs and the ability to thrive on land, and we're in a lot of trouble.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 01:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
They kill, eat meat, and actually play with their prey in a way that many would consider cruel.

They are also EXTREMELY prejudiced...if you are an Orca who is not born into their little group they will certainly never have anything to do with you, they will drive you away and hope that you die if you attempt to join them.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:03 pm
@Linkat,
You are correct, I didn't state they aren't. There was no insult towards you or your friend. I wanted to make people think about what we have done and continue to do.

Like I wrote, I was just as guilty and won't do it again.
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 07:13 am
@trying2learn,
no problem - I do think you bring up a good topic and something to think. These are living wild creatures do they deserves to be put in what amounts to for us a small room -- wouldn't that alone drive one crazy - not to mention the daily performing of tricks.
trying2learn

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 10:01 am
@Linkat,
Thanks for understanding.

I was in a boat surrounded by orcas so I have seen them up close. They are huge and if they wanted to, they could have easily smashed the boat and killed all on board. The orcas were curious.

We immediately turned the motor off so as not to hurt them.