Why do people deny evolution?

JimmyJ

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 03:36 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
I theorise that the sensible young lady who ditched you in another thread got fed up with you because your'e a snivelling little brat..

Actually that would be a hypothesis.

I have one of my own.

I THEORIZE****** that the reason you're so ignorant is because you've slowly started losing your mind and becoming a senile old fart.
0 Replies

JimmyJ

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 03:38 pm
@spendius,
What the hell are you even talking about? Why do you go on tangents all the time?

I've already addressed that point of view on this thread.

"It's not good for society to believe in evolution" is not a good reason to deny its truth. Facts are facts regardless of whether you think the world would be worse off if it accepted them.
spendius

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 03:48 pm
@JimmyJ,
Quote:
The scientific method can be applied to anything.... lol

Yeah --"can be". But as long as what it is applied to is limited by ethical or personal considerations it cannot be the scientific method. That is because the things it is not applied to may very well impinge on the things it is, as they most certainly do in this case.

One cannot go barging ahead not looking to left or right and be scientific. They fit racehorses with blinkers to stop them looking around.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 03:54 pm
Quote:
JimmyJ pouted: @RF- I THEORIZE****** that the reason you're so ignorant is because you've slowly started losing your mind and becoming a senile old fart.

Dream on muchacho, I've been regularly dominating the PC strategy game online battlefields for 10 years, including this competition this very year under my fighting name of 'PoorOldSpike'..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos4-newPB/mult-4_zpsf601010f.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos4-newPB/IF-snip18_zpsf1e9c080.jpg~original

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"- Ernest Hemingway
farmerman

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 04:06 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:

Dream on muchacho, I've been regularly dominating the PC strategy game online battlefields for 10 years, including this competition this very year under my fighting name of 'PoorOldSpike'..Smile
While many of us seek other realms of approbation from our peers or colleagues. This guy is a legend in some computer game. WOW, that impresses the crap outta me.
Maybe they'll make a special NO BELL prize for best scores in "Grand Theft AUto"
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 04:30 pm
@JimmyJ,
Quote:
What the hell are you even talking about? Why do you go on tangents all the time?

Would it be too much to ask, James, that you not address crap like that to me? Thank you.

Quote:
"It's not good for society to believe in evolution" is not a good reason to deny its truth.

It is if accepting its truth requires not believing in other things which have proven to be good for society and when not believing in those other things has not be road tested yet and is only on the drawing board.

Give us an idea how it might perform in action. We might buy it if it is tempting enough. We would likely ditch God in a jiffy if doing so put house prices up 30%.

It's a straw man to say that people deny evolution because they believe in a talking snake. It is so eagerly embraced because it disguises the public rejection of the sub-scientifics in relation to power despite them being always right on whatever subject they have carefully chosen to foam at the mouth on.
neologist

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 05:01 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
The scientific method can be applied to anything.... lol
And some hypotheses continue as hypotheses. Laughing
farmerman

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 05:51 pm
@neologist,
that just makes you the master of the bleedin obvious. Whats yer Point?
A hypothesis has room for conjecture, that's why we test em. A theory , so far, does not. We invite conjecture and counter evidence to help focus or refine a theory, but if it never shows up, the theory remains unchanged and more strongly evidenced. Most of the evidence has been piling up for natural selection in droves and after new discoveries in technology reveal further truths.
When radiometric dating or magnetometric dating techniques were discovered in the lid to late 20th century, the data they revealed supported the nature of life succession through time on the planet. It strongly underpinned evolution THEORY and became one more batch of evidence that made the story even clearer.
NOW, if radiometric dating would have shown that the world was only 100000 years old, wed have had to adjust our thinking about a lot of things that Darwin and other said. BUT, it wasn't so.
The strength of the THEORY is only as good as the evidence that supports it.

I know you need to find something to counter that evidence and so far, all you've got are some "gaps" in evidence for specific species (like bats or the common ancestor of humans)
spendius

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:08 pm
@farmerman,
See my last post fm.

Quote:
NOW, if radiometric dating would have shown that the world was only 100000 years old, wed have had to adjust our thinking about a lot of things that Darwin and other said. BUT, it wasn't so.

Fancy that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Whodathowtit?

When are you going to stop addressing us as if we are five years old?

Would you like a medal for being so fantastically cutting edge daring?

edgarblythe

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:11 pm
@spendius,
fm has to put it in the most basic terms, because so many are skipping right past these facts and evidence, in order to draw their own unsubstantiated conclusions. But you already know that.
spendius

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
fm, ed, puts it in strictly cash terms. He has admitted it. If you weren't paying attention that's your affair.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:32 pm
Let's throw into the playpen the fact that Einstein proved time is stretchy and elastic, so whose to say it didn't run faster in prehistoric times so that for example a thousand years would pass in just one day of "our" time, relatively speaking?
It's not a new idea- "With God a thousand years are as one day" (2 Peter 3:8 )
anonymously99stwin

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't think I understand how the bible relates to evolution.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:25 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Let's throw into the playpen the fact that Einstein proved time is stretchy and elastic, so whose to say it didn't run faster in prehistoric times so that for example a thousand years would pass in just one day of "our" time, relatively speaking?
It's not a new idea- "With God a thousand years are as one day" (2 Peter 3:8 )

Einstein, for one. He defined very precisely under what circumstances two observers disagree about a time interval.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:34 pm
Quote:
Anonymously said: Don't think I understand how the bible relates to evolution.

The bible is a chronicle of close encounters with offworld beings over many centuries, so as open-minded truthseekers it's our duty to see what it has to say..Smile
For example returning to the "stretchy" timescale thing-
God said "Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down" (Isaiah 38:8 )

I wonder if ancient Chinese or Babylonian astronomers saw it and recorded it, saying "Some weird **** going on up there!"
anonymously99stwin

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:35 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
So what are you saying?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:44 pm
Quote:
Anonymously said: So what are you saying?

I'm saying measuring time is unreliable because it can run at different speeds like Einstein proved..Smile
It's stable enough on earth, but the further we look out across space and time, the more liable it becomes to distortion.
Brandon9000

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:52 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Anonymously said: So what are you saying?

I'm saying measuring time is unreliable because it can run at different speeds like Einstein proved..Smile
It's stable enough on earth, but the further we look out across space and time, the more liable it becomes to distortion.

Weren't we talking about stuff happening on Earth?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 11:07 pm
Quote:
Romeo proclaimed: the further we look out across space and time, the more liable it becomes to distortion.
Brandon replied: Weren't we talking about stuff happening on Earth?

Sort of. For example dinosaurs ruled the earth for 135 million years, but because time is stretchy and elastic maybe it somehow fast-forwarded so that it was compressed into just a few thousand of "our" years.
It's just speculation of course but speculation is FUN..Smile
neologist

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 11:25 pm
I am of the opinion that, relative to the earth and the needs of humans, time has been consistent.

Of course, it may be true that God has fabricated time, or our perception of time, so we might experience reality.

Certainly, he is not subject to it's constraints as we are.