Should "on par, if not worse, than" be "on par, if not worse than, with"?

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 07:13 am
Context:

In contrast, in the current budget impasse, or Day Four of the government shutdown, fear is conspicuously absent from the Wall Street scene, despite dire warnings from the U.S. Treasury on Thursday that a U.S. debt default would lead to a financial crisis on par, if not worse, than the 2008 financial crisis.

More:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2013/10/06/investor-fear-absent-despite-debt-fight/2924175/

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:37 am
U.S. debt default would lead to a financial crisis on a par with, if not worse than, the 2008 one.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:14 pm
@oristarA,
Ori, 'on par' means equal to, even with. It's a golf term. Each hole on the course has a par of either 3,4 or 5, add them up to get the course score or par. If you play they course or the whole game 'on par' then you have evened the playing field.
The sentence is fine as is.
Try this..
'despite dire warnings from the U.S. Treasury on Thursday that a U.S. debt default would lead to a financial crisis even with, if not worse, than the 2008 financial crisis.'

'despite dire warnings from the U.S. Treasury on Thursday that a U.S. debt default would lead to a financial crisis equal to, if not worse, than the 2008 financial crisis.'

The word/verb be is unnecessary.
McTag

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:43 pm

Contrex is right (and so Ceili must be wrong, sorry).
contrex

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:59 pm
In British English we say that X is on a par with Y, but in US English maybe it's different? I've looked in a few US dictionaries and they all say an a par.

Ceili

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:09 pm
@McTag,
It's from an American newspaper. I win. Wink
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:36 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
I've looked in a few US dictionaries and they all say an a par.

on a par
oristarA

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 08:46 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Ori, 'on par' means equal to, even with. It's a golf term. Each hole on the course has a par of either 3,4 or 5, add them up to get the course score or par. If you play they course or the whole game 'on par' then you have evened the playing field.
The sentence is fine as is.
Try this..
'despite dire warnings from the U.S. Treasury on Thursday that a U.S. debt default would lead to a financial crisis even with, if not worse, than the 2008 financial crisis.'

'despite dire warnings from the U.S. Treasury on Thursday that a U.S. debt default would lead to a financial crisis equal to, if not worse, than the 2008 financial crisis.'

The word/verb be is unnecessary.

1) "on par, if not worse, than"- wrong. Because:

"if not worse than" - right;
"on par than" - wrong.

2) "even with, if not worse, than" -wrong. Because:
"even with than" - wrong.

3) "equal to, if not worse, than" - wrong. Because:
"equal to than" - wrong.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 08:47 pm
McTag and Contrex are right, Ceili.
Ceili

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 11:16 pm
@oristarA,
Ori, come to Canada and tell everyone here that.
When I screw up Chinglish we'll talk.
Ceili

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 11:17 pm
@contrex,
Look at google. There are 638 million + usages of 'on par'. In fact, the NY Times has an entire golf section called On Par. I can appreciate that English is spoken differently in different places, doesn't mean it's in the dictionary.
McTag

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:04 am
@Ceili,

I maintain you are mistaken in this, Ceili. Consider

at the height of
on a level with
just as fast as
to the extent that
on a par with

It's all part of a pattern.
McTag

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 02:13 am
@Ceili,

Quote:
There are 638 million + usages of 'on par'. In fact, the NY Times has an entire golf section called On Par

Can you filter the golf reports out of this? I wonder what would be left. This is a new construct to me. In all my long life I believe I've never seen it outside of the world of golf.
contrex

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:11 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

In all my long life I believe I've never seen it outside of the world of golf.

Stock market folk talk about stocks trading "at par" but we can't just say that is OK in normal English. I think Ceili is fighting a rearguard action here
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 07:27 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Consider

at the height of
on a level with
just as fast as
to the extent that
on a par with

It's all part of a pattern.

What might that pattern be, McTag?

=========

Google Advanced Search

Exact phrase

"on par with"

"on a par with"

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 09:16 pm
From the Times of India
Pawan Kalyan on par with Shahrukh Khan
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-10-03/news-interviews/42663406_1_pawan-kalyan-attarintiki-daredi-powerstar<br />

From the Wall Street Journal
Toys "R" Us Inc. plans to hire 45,000 employees during the holiday season, on par with the toy retailer's holiday hiring last year.
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20130924-702629.html

From Reuters
Schlumberger targets equipment reliability on par with autos.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/12/schlumberger-reliability-idUSL2N0H81IB20130912<br />

See the pattern here...
roger

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 09:29 pm
@Ceili,
Yes
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 01:47 am
@Ceili,

These quotations are headlines.
They are abbreviations.

Consider: in
on time
on budget
on average
etc.
we know what we are talking about: time, money, averages etc. "On par" is not like that. It has to be compared. That is why "on a par with" is the phrase of choice, exactly the same as "at the level of".

It's high time foreigners learned the language correctly. Wink
JTT

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 09:11 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
These quotations are headlines.
They are abbreviations.

All 132 million. I don't think so.

Quote:
"On par" is not like that. It has to be compared. That is why "on a par with" is the phrase of choice, exactly the same as "at the level of".

All three of Ceili's examples had 'with'.

Quote:
It's high time foreigners learned the language correctly.

It's high time someone paid attention to reality. Wink
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 10:04 pm
@McTag,
No they weren't. The middle example is from the Wall Street Journal. It's from a complete sentence, in the middle of a paragraph. I'm not saying this is the way people in the rest of the world talk, but N. America is a sports dominated society.
We don't say on a par with, we say on par with, or at least here in my provincial little town.
If I say half-eight. What does that mean to you? Can you find the term in a dictionary. If I said the same term here, most people would say four... My point is, on par - on a par are idioms, more than abbreviations.
Consider: in? I'm not sure I get what point you're making with the on time, on budget stuff. I would never say on a time, unless it was prefaced by Once up.. I'm either on time or late. My company is either on budget or we're in the red. If someone's on a budget, they're probably broke. On average people prefer blue. On an average night, you can see the moon.