Should "on par, if not worse, than" be "on par, if not worse than, with"?

McTag

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 11:08 pm
@Ceili,

Quote:
I'm not saying this is the way people in the rest of the world talk, but N. America is a sports dominated society.
We don't say on a par with, we say on par with, or at least here in my provincial little town.

Well, there you have it. I think I'll rest my case right there. I don't read The Times of India either.
Ceili

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 12:33 am
@McTag,
I do every once in a while. They have a way with words, an interesting perspective.
The Single Ads are very entertaining, mind you it's the thickest section in any Indian newspaper. So there are endless choices.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 09:03 am
@McTag,
Quote:
I think I'll rest my case right there.

You always rest your case right after you've found that you are out to lunch, McTag.

Google Advanced Search - UK region only

Exact phrase

"on par with"
About 4,520,000 results

"on a par with"
About 5,090,000 results

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:37 am
@JTT,

It is my task, my duty, to show the way. Some advice may indeed fall on stony ground. John the Baptist was not welcomed in all quarters either. What you do with the advice is up to you. Sink, or swim. Repent, or be saved.
McTag

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 12:16 pm
@McTag,

That is, repent, or not be saved. You knew what I meant.
oristarA

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 05:39 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

That is, repent, or not be saved. You knew what I meant.

Well, I've just got a headache to understand yours special logic: "repent, or be saved."
And you immediately gave us this solution or evolution or revolution. Very Happy
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 06:49 pm
@McTag,
I guess that that is as close as you can come to saying I [and Contrex] made a mistake, Ceili, and you were correct.
McTag

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:35 am
@JTT,

That is a good example of JTT logic.

It is not my responsibility that 4,500,000 posts have been clumsily or wrongly written, according to your figures. I'm not answerable for that. I only take responsibility for telling you how it should go. Thereafter you're on your own.
JTT

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 09:08 am
@McTag,
Quote:
I only take responsibility for telling you how it should go.

Your history illustrates just how damn dismal you are at doing that, McTag.
McTag

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 12:40 pm
@JTT,

JTT takes another thread downward.
JTT

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 05:52 pm
@McTag,
McTag starts whining again because he knows he can't often anything approaching adequate in a discussion of language. And he is trying to avoid apologizing to Ceili.

Contrex, you too owe Ceili an apology.
oristarA

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:19 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

McTag starts whining again because he knows he can't often anything approaching adequate in a discussion of language. And he is trying to avoid apologizing to Ceili.

Contrex, you too owe Ceili an apology.

When criticising a language expert like McTag, you should be more careful in your writing, JTT. It looks like that your clause " he can't often anything approaching adequate in a discussion of language" is obviously flawed.
JTT

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:25 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
When criticising a language expert like McTag,

Whodda ever guessed that you were a stand up comic, Ori.
oristarA

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:43 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
When criticising a language expert like McTag,

Whodda ever guessed that you were a stand up comic, Ori.

Apparently you're an expert in English language, JTT. But when you are critical of McTag's linguistic mistakes in your eyes, please express your opinions in a scholarly way, not in the way of those cheap rants.
oristarA

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:46 pm
@oristarA,
Yes JTT, please conduct it with grace.
0 Replies