Words Usage and Spelling

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 08:20 am
1.The suffixes -able, -ing, and - ment can be added to the end of the word replace.
*For which of the following do you need to drop the final e before adding the suffix?
A.replace + -ing
B.replace + -ment
C.replace + -able
D.all the above

2.The suffixes -ed, -ful, -ing, and -y can be added to the end of the word taste.
*For which of the following do you not need to drop the final e before adding the suffix?
A.Taste+ -y
B.taste+ -ed
C.taste+ -ful
D.taste+ -ing

3.which figure of speech is the bolded word in the following line an example of?
*The hawk let out a screech when it flew overhead.
A.onomatopoeia
B.alliteration
C.personification
D.simile

4.which of the following is an independent clause?
A.we go to the market to buy strawberries
B.often go to the market to buy strawberries
C.buying strawberries at the market in summertime
D.when we go to the market to buy strawberries

5.what is the independent clause in the following sentence?
A.we returned it
B.the shirt had a tear ,
C.tear, we returned it
D.Because the shirt had a tear,

6.pick the correctly spelled plural form of wolf to complete the following sentence.
*we saw a pack of _ when we went hiking yesterday.
A.wolf's
B.wolves
C.wolves'
D.wolfs

7.Which of the following words is misspelled?
A.losing
B.siting
C.playing
D.flying
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 4,745 • Replies: 11
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 10:20 am
You really need to learn to do your own school work. These interminable copied school questions are tedious.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 10:30 am
@contrex,
My first reaction also Con; tho Dai claims such examples to be merely representative so I guess we have to afford him b of the d

Maybe we could each address one
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 10:39 am
@Daijaakins,
1A

But Dai aren't you curious for the reason

http://www.spellmasters.com.au/spelling_basics.asp

If an exception don't you wonder why
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 10:54 am
I will tell you that the answer to Q.7 is "none", which makes me think the questions were prepared by a careless or ignorant non-native speaker. I thought this about the other questions this guy posted.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 10:58 am
@contrex,
Yes Con, one wonder whys Dai didn't merely look it up or having done so explain his perplexity
contrex

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 11:17 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Yes Con, one wonder whys Dai didn't merely look it up or having done so explain his perplexity

There is no end to the laziness of students, and this has been made much more apparent in the Internet age.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 12:14 pm
@Daijaakins,
No. 3, Con, might however require addressment. At first I rejected all four but then decided its author might have intended B

Quote:
Red-shouldered Hawk, Sounds, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of ...
www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/red-shouldered_hawk/sounds
A Red-shouldered Hawk's most common call is a plaintive, rising whistle that sounds like kee-ahh.
…though how's "kee-ahh" either a whistle or a screech

Quote:
What is the sound called that hawks make - WikiAnswers
wiki.answers.com › ... › Animal Life › Birds › Birds of Prey › Hawks‎
The sound a hawk makes is between a pishhh and a whistle. It is called a screech.
Okay but how's a "pishh" or whistle like a screech

Yes no, Dai, "addressment" isn't a word tho it s/b. Do come back, have we scared you off

We kid a lot too
Daijaakins

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 07:23 am
@dalehileman,
I Didn't need These Answers I Tryed To delete The Questions An It Wouldn't Let Me
dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 11:43 am
@Daijaakins,
Dasi I likewise object to our inability to edit after 15 minutes but I am attacked mercilessly from all quarters, apparently upon the basis that a2k participants are so irresponsible, compared to other sites of this sort where this period is hours, days, or even indefinitely
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 09:24 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
There is no end to the laziness of students, and this has been made much more apparent in the Internet age.

Oh those awful students eh, Professor?

Quote:
Contrex stealing another person's words and ideas.

Quote:

http://able2know.org/topic/217676-1

Post # 5,380,743

@contrex,
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-allergy/AN01109

What's the difference between a food intolerance and food allergy?

Answer
from James T C Li, M.D., Ph.D. : A food intolerance can cause some of the same signs and symptoms as a food allergy, so people often confuse the two.

Contrex: A food intolerance can cause some of the same signs and symptoms as a food allergy, so people often confuse the two.

James T C Li, M.D., Ph.D.: A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic food reaction can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and are limited to digestive problems.

Contrex: A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic food reaction can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and are limited to digestive problems.

0 Replies

anonymously99stwin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:34 am
@Daijaakins,
Confusing
0 Replies