Emerging new writing style

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 10:23 am
I note at least in a2k a style liberally using various abbreviations in long sentences with no punctuation, and I'm wondering whether it's exclusive to our forum and if so why, or if it represents a trend of some sort; e.g.,

Quote:
messiah is an invention to mean smthg that dont exist could b for liars……..the target to kill from up by enslavin them to dirty superiority life dirty from what it is by powers and force……….. ur allegation belongin to evil living that u might b essentially…...

..and if so what's this tendency called

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 10:30 am
@dalehileman,
This style of writing is the unfortunate love child from the sad sack marriage between being a lazy writer and a cell phone texting addict.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 10:46 am
@tsarstepan,
Aha! thank you Tsar

By coincidence just a few minutes later, another

Quote:
and to accept smthg it is never bc it exists, u exist too why would u accept else existence, when u exist u can exist as u wish on ur own as long as u dont force urself

I don't even try to read them, how about you
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 10:53 am
@dalehileman,
I think I know which writer did this hideous message without knowing which thread it was in. He's a terrible writer even if he wrote perfect or near perfect grammar and with a spot of decent spelling.

If you do a quick spell check on his nonsense:
Quote:
and to accept something it is never because it exists, you exist too why would you accept else existence, when you exist you can exist as you wish on your own as long as you don't force yourself

It absolutely doesn't help at all! What is he trying to babble on about?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 11:06 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
What is he trying to babble on about?
Good q, Tsar. As I said, I never read them
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 02:44 pm
The habit of writing everything in text style , I believe, is the single most destructive influence of the electronic revolution on the English language. To me it is frightening.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 03:11 pm
@dalehileman,
No, it's exclusive to the idiots in this forum, not any Joyce and McCarthy wannabes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 03:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's not lazy. It's disrespectful. Kind of like walking into someone's house, plopping you boney ass in a chair, and putting your dirty feet on the table.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 04:03 pm
@dalehileman,
It's pretty standard texting talk.

It's a cousin of the Urban Dictionary approach to English language usage.

You don't know how to spell it, it takes too long to type it out - -- text talk it.

You don't know what a word means, can't be bothered to find out --- make up a definition.

<shrug>

Language continues to change.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 04:07 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Language continues to change.

Absolutely true. But need we maim it or even amputate certain limbs in order to change it?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 04:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Hasn't every generation said something like that about language and music (at the very least)?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 04:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Hmmm. Prob'ly so.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 04:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Chaucer probably didn't think that future generations would need a decoder ring to understand his work.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/CT-prolog-para.html

The Squire's Portrait

THE SQUIRE
79: With hym ther was his sone, a yong squier,
80: A lovyere and a lusty bacheler,
81: With lokkes crulle as they were leyd in presse.
82: Of twenty yeer of age he was, I gesse.
83: Of his stature he was of evene lengthe,
84: And wonderly delyvere, and of greet strengthe.
85: And he hadde been somtyme in chyvachie
86: In flaundres, in artoys, and pycardie,
87: And born hym weel, as of so litel space,
88: In hope to stonden in his lady grace.
89: Embrouded was he, as it were a meede
90: Al ful of fresshe floures, whyte and reede.
91: Syngynge he was, or floytynge, al the day;
92: He was as fressh as is the month of may.
93: Short was his gowne, with sleves longe and wyde.
94: Wel koude he sitte on hors and faire ryde.
95: He koude songes make and wel endite,
96: Juste and eek daunce, and weel purtreye and write.
97: So hoote he lovede that by nyghtertale.
98: He sleep namoore than dooth a nyghtyngale.
99: Curteis he was, lowely, and servysable,
100: And carf biforn his fader at the table.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 05:16 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't need a decoder ring to understand every word in that passage. And Chaucer's work is beside the point, as far as I can see. He was not even creating a new language, really, just accurately transcribing the language that had already become the lingua franca in previously Norman-speaking England. He was using vocabulary that was in everyday use and spelling it more or less phonetically, as he heard it.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 05:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
He was using vocabulary that was in everyday use and spelling it more or less phonetically, as he heard it.

which is precisely what the poster that is being quoted in the OP is doing
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 05:24 pm
@ehBeth,
I can see where it's possible to argue your point of view, but I disagree with it. Needless truncation of words (e.g. 'bc' for because or 'u' for you etc.) is not the same as phonetic spelling. The point is that it's entirely appropriate in texting where condensed brevity is of the essence. But why carry on into standard English where there is no such necessity?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 05:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think u for you is fine for phonetic spelling.

It's not the way I like to write, and I find some of it difficult to read, but I recognize it as a way of the future.

I can barely understand any of verbivore's posts here or on FB, but it is the way much of the subcontinent seems to post and they're likely to be significant deciders in the future use of English.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 05:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I enjoy language in many ways, the meanings, the sounds, the musicality of it, the clarity of it, the amorphous aspect to some of it, the pictures I see in my mind from the words sounding in my ears, the look of the words themselves in print; I like word play and at least some word games. I rather like urban dictionary.

On text speak/text typing, that's been going on for quite a while, including it showing up in the writing of people who text now by second nature... maybe more easily than what to us elders is first nature. I don't love it, almost hate it, but not quite. As ehBeth says, essentially, it is the way it is, and I know it can be quite efficient. It's true that I rarely bother to read the threads that are text-full. But I'm not so sure what I think of as literate writing, which at best represents (to me) complex thinking, will be lost to the wages of text writing. I'm not so sure the modes have to be antithetical - people will probably use both as years go on, and they'll be apt to interweave some.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 09:14 pm
A series of foolish posts telling us, in effect, that not only should we accept ignorance, we should embrace it as artful.

"Me think pretty goils voting on Obama are much f*cking good!"

Urban Poetry!

Who are we to judge the guttural utterances of idiots?
Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 09:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Who are we to judge the guttural utterances of idiots?

Indeed.