Emerging new writing style

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 10:09 pm
An interesting counterpoint to the texting mode:

A Point of View: In defence of obscure words
by Will Self

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17777556

I didn't know that defence is the british way of spelling it.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 10:27 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Language continues to change.
Birth, life, then slow death (starting just recently but well under way)
dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 10:28 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
even amputate certain limbs in order to change it?
Lust well put
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 10:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Who are we to judge the guttural utterances of idiots?
Well put Finn
I'd tolerate abbreviation but the fractured grammar and lack of punctuation are deplorable
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 10:39 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Who are we to judge the guttural utterances of idiots?

Indeed.

http://www.ukwealthymind.co.uk/uploads/article510/ist2_5604144-thumbs-up.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 10:40 am
@dalehileman,
you forgot rebirth
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 10:41 am
@ehBeth,
Good'n' Beth. How is it done by the way

It should be a matter of cut and paste but as with some sites it's horrendously difficult
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 10:42 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Hasn't every generation said something like that about language and music (at the very least)?

Natch
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 10:47 am
I know I say this pretty much every time texting comes up, but the "emerging new writing style" part was too much to resist...

When I got my first tty (teletypewriter/ telecommunication device for the deaf) in about 1984, "text speak" was already a thing. There were a bunch of abbreviations, alternate spellings, etc. that were used for typed communication on the tty. Many of those have moved over to texting.

So I've been reading and writing in this "new" style for almost 30 years.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:48 pm
@sozobe,
Good point, Soz. I, too, am familiar with a great deal of this stuff from having worked with teletypes as a wire service (UPI) reporter back in the 1960s, early '70s. We called it cabelese and used these contractions and abbreviations and word substitutions quite commonly in messaging back and forth. These machines allowed no punctuation except for a dot (full stop/period, take your pick). So a question would be ended by typing "...query." And so on. The point is, these locutions were in use in messaging only. No newsman (as far as I know) ever tried to sneak cabelese into a story they were working on or put it into a more formal letter they were writing. That's the difference with texting. Texters forget that it's a specialized usage and think this is, somehow, acceptable standard English.
sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 03:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
That's the difference with texting. Texters forget that it's a specialized usage and think this is, somehow, acceptable standard English.

Well, not necessarily. I think writing stuff on a message board is a middle ground between texting (or cabling or tty-ing) and a newspaper story.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people we see using that kind of language here are in fact typing on their phones, for example.

I tend to use "proper" English here, but it's still more colloquial/ casual than how I write professionally. And when I'm texting people I can go whole-hog with textspeak. It's not that I don't know how to use any other kind of English, just a matter of context.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 09:06 pm
@Ceili,
So, you agree with my sarcastic comment?
Ceili

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 08:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I took it at face value.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 10:01 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
[img]Hello Ceili test[/img]

I realize this is entirely OT but what's an "img" ?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 01:54 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 03:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks Andy but what does it do (if it's involved we might consider a separate thread)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 04:03 pm
@dalehileman,
It's not that involved. It's a way of inserting artwork ('image') into your post here. You capture the URL of the picture you wish to post, type out [img], copy the URL and type [/img]. What you see in front of you is all type. But after you've clicked on 'Reply,' what comes up for all to see is not type but the picture. (If you did it right, that is. Laughing)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 04:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Here's an example. I just went to my profile page and got the URL for my avatar by right-clicking on it and then clicking on 'copy URL.' Here's the avatar, 'pasted' in:

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/bed72f2266519ead60a7e8ef53447983?r=R&d=identicon&s=180
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 04:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
and here's Ceili:

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/dd115e72f939fc3dca0141fe70765d15?r=R&d=identicon&s=180
dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 04:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Aha! I see. Thanks Andy
0 Replies