Now that it's almost over .... what did you get up to on your thanksgiving?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 12:05 pm
To BBB, BFN, and Diane -

is this what you used in the cake you liked, BBB?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/Galliano-and-glass.jpg/200px-Galliano-and-glass.jpg
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 12:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Yep, you found it. I found two recipes for you. ---BBB

Recipe #1:

Harvey Wallbanger Cake Recipe
By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone

This easy traditional recipe made the rounds during the 70's, so I am not quite sure where it originated. It takes the potent flavors of the Harvey Wallbanger cocktail and puts them into a deliciously moist cake. Look for the small single-serving bottles of the liquors if you do not keep them on hand. Instructions are also given for muffins.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes

Ingredients:

Cake:
1 box (about 18.75 ounces) yellow cake mix
1 cup oil
4 eggs
1/4 cup Galliano® liqueur
1/4 cup vodka
1 3-ounce package vanilla instant pudding mix
3/4 cup orange juice

Glaze:
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon orange juice
1 Tablespoon Galliano
1 teaspoon vodka

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a Bundt pan.

Place cake mix, oil, eggs, liqueur, vodka, pudding mix, and orange juice into a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.

Pour evenly into prepared Bundt pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

For the glaze, mix powdered sugar, orange juice, liqueur, and vodka until smooth. Drizzle over the warm cake and let cool to room temperature for glaze to set.

Yield: 1 bundt cake (about 10 to 12 servings)

For Muffins:

Fill mini-muffins and/or muffin paper-lined tins 3/4 full. Bake mini-muffins for 10 minutes or 20 minutes for regular muffins. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center. If it comes out clean, they are done. Drizzle with glaze or sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Recipe #2:

Galliano Cake

Ingredients:

1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup vodka
1/4 cup Galliano
powdered sugar

Directions:

Spray a bundt pan with bakers joy or pam.
Combine all ingredients together and pour into Bundt Pan.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
**Toothpick should have a little cake on it when tested**.
Allow cake to cool then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
**Variation, You can use 1/2 Cup Galiano and 2 T. vodka. This makes it a bit sweeter.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 01:30 pm
@ossobuco,
That's the right color and probably the right liqueur because the label seems familiar. The bottle I remember my friend having (this was back in the 80's so memory could be foggy) was about 4ft tall and had edges/ridges in the bottle that reminded me of the shape of the Eiffel Tower. It was mostly neck and about 18 inches of bottle below it.

I found a photo of a similar one but the one he had was much taller than pictured here. It sat on his fireplace hearth and reached to the top of the mantle.

http://www.mixoloseum.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Galliano.jpg

Imagine that bottle with a more squarish shape to the bottom of it, like this Eiffel Tower, with a much longer neck.

http://www.eiffel-tower.us/Eiffel-Tower-Images/Eiffel-Tower-Night-lights.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 01:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
And I remember Galliano as being very slightly greener, as I was when I had too much of it back in the sixties and never ever again. Although I might like it even now in cake.

Interesting puzzle re the bottle and the tower - maybe it was a french liqueur..

Edit to say my eyes and yellow have a problem - not a large problem, but there in tests.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 01:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, here is my original recipe that I created to make it more complete. BBB

Harvey Wallbanger Cake recipe from BumbleBeeBoogie
HARVEY WALLBANGER CAKE
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie from the Liqueur Galliano recipe

This is one of my all-time favorite cakes. Its easy to make and has a wondrous citrus flavor.

Cake batter:
1 box orange cake mix (about 18 1/2 oz.)
1 box (3 1/4 oz.) INSTANT vanilla pudding mix
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 ounces Liqueur Galliano
1 ounce Vodka
4 ounces orange juice

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners powdered white sugar
1 tablespoon Liqueur Galliano
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon vodka

Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix and pudding in a large mixer bowl. Blend in the eggs, oil, Liqueur Galliano, Vodka, and orange juice. Beat the batter until smooth and thick.

Bake as follows:
Pour into a greased and floured non-stick 10-inch bundt pan and bake at for 45 minutes.
OR, pour into 2 greased and floured non-stick 9 inch cake pans and bake for 30 minutes.

Let the cake cool in the pan 10 minutes, then remove and place the cake on rack to cool.

Glaze:
Combine the confectioners sugar, Liqueur Galliano, vodka and orange juice in a bowl. Blend until very smooth.

Center the cake on a cake plate. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake baked in the Bundt pan.

If baked in the two 9-inch cake pans, pour 1/3 of the glaze over one layer, top with the second layer and pour the remaining glaze over the top and let it dribble over the sides of the cake layers.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 01:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, the liquid I remember had the same bright yellow color but it was more opaque and looked a lot thicker, almost like a syrup. I don't remember it having a vanilla smell, I'm remembering it as more of a licorice/anise type smell.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 02:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
True - licorice anise smell/taste.

BBB - I may play with this - I don't do cake mixes, but oranges are available. And I always have candied orange peel in my freezer since I forget to eat it as a snack. Last thing I put some of it in was the rye bread that turned out wonderful except for the concrete crust - that involved orange peel and fennel seeds.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 04:29 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'm going to try your original recipe, BBB, that Harvey Wallbanger Cake sounds absolutely delish.

I'm lazy, so I like to start with a cake mix and then embellish it--I make a pretty good chocolate sour cream pound cake that way.

Does the cook get to finish all the unused Vodka and Galliano from your Harvey Wallbanger Cake recipe? Smile
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 05:08 pm
@firefly,
Does the cook get to finish all the unused Vodka and Galliano from your Harvey Wallbanger Cake recipe?

When Diane and Osso were having Thanksgiving dinner that Butrflynet served at our home, they were going through my wine cabinet to see if they could find any Galliano. Sadly, there was none to be found. I think we will have to buy a bottle and have Butrflynet make the cake for Barbara, our friend who works at the strip club (she not a dancer Laughing )

BBB
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 05:20 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Not true, we were trying to see if - in that case - I thought you had any bottles worth anything. Perhaps, but not very likely, said at least bfn and even me who doesn't dislike wine or booze. There were a few perhapses. I liked a number of the labels. However, the doggy soon liked my socks. I do think there were possibilities left for adding to cakes.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 05:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Still, a strip club cake, tell me more..
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 04:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Barbara is a wonderful cook. She often phones to tell us she left a great food surprise by our front door. They are always great. Such a nice neighbor---even if she works for a strip club and loves her doggies.

BBB
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 01:45 pm
My mother has decided to wait until Thanksgiving to fly up from Miami. That will be perfect since both Morgan and I can take some time off and my sister in Tampa as well.

So this coming Thanksgiving will be a family dinner.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 12:46 pm
I’m looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. We’re having a family dinner with my mother and sister in-law. It will be just the five of us. They’re spending four days with us and all of us will be making a dish.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 12:51 pm
@jcboy,
I trust you will be including butternut squash at the table. No thanksgiving or Chanukmas meal is complete without it.

(yes, it's that time of year again when I become obsessed with butternut squash. Already located the first one of the season! Very Happy )
jcboy

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:03 pm
@Sturgis,
I'll have to buy more, I bought some a few weeks ago but the tortoises ate it Wink
Sturgis

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:08 pm
@jcboy,
As long as you keep them happy and the young one happy as well, all is good.
Last year I found butternut squash to be difficult to find...did you have the tortoises then? That would explain a lot.
jcboy

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:33 pm
@Sturgis,
Oh I've had them for 4 years now, I brought them with me from CA. I usually feed them a lot of cactus, greens, just started feeding them squash.
0 Replies