Oh My God, it's Thanksgiving and Dinner's Ruined!

jespah

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 11:22 am
So, ya say it's the big day and the bird is still frozen? Or oh my God you overslept and can't get the bird in the oven in time for dinner? Not to worry.

It's just time to spatchcock, folks, see: https://www.seriouseats.com/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe

Chances are you have all the ingredients in your pantry except for thyme sprigs, and you can wing it (no pun intended) with dried thyme or sage from your spice rack. Don't have either? Then just skip it. It'll be fine.

Start to finish will take maybe an hour and a half.
https://www.seriouseats.com/thmb/fVWY_A1SACsUbwLZE4Wx0RRXZ6s=/1088x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__2012__10__20121108-spatchcock-turkey-food-lab-13-abedec5c6f5649fba3c7ec09be4a82be.jpg

Got any more rescues for today (or any day where there's a big meal to be cooked)? We all screw up at times. Let's hear how to fix those disasters, smile, and pretend like you meant to do it that way all along.

engineer

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 01:08 pm
@jespah,
My son is using this technique today to try and get a more even bake. I'll have to hear from him how it works.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 01:21 pm
@jespah,
That just makes me think of Roger from American Dad there was a whole episode devoted to spatchcocking.

We're having pizza today. Christmas Dinner is the closest we get to Thanksgiving fayre,but I've not had turkey for a long time, we normally have goose or chicken, I don't like having a lot of leftovers.

Sorry I can't post links but the TV chefs The Hairy Bikers have a very good way of dealing with left over veg the next day. Add a bit of curry powder, wrap them in filo pastry and deep fry them for samosas.

We get a lot of samosas in Southampton, never buy them from supermarkets, use the Indian owned shops instead.
jespah

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 03:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Ooh that sounds like an awesome way to jazz up the leftovers.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 04:01 pm
@jespah,
It's easy which is a good thing on Boxing Day.

It certainly beats bubble and squeak, my mother wasn't a very good cook, too many painful childhood memories.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 06:29 pm
I think this is our 4th year we’ve made turkey using spatchcocking method. We cooked a 19-lb bird and it saved us an hour or more. It also saved us from adding more heat in our kitchen. We’ll use the removed backbone and giblets for soup tomorrow. That is if our dog allows us.
Mame

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2021 04:29 pm
@Ragman,
I had to look up 'spatchcocking'. We call that 'butterflying'. Butterfly makes more sense since it looks like a butterfly but what the hell is a spatchcock?
jespah

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2021 06:43 pm
@Mame,
Seems like it should be collected under things in the kitchen that sound dirty, but aren't.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2021 06:28 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I think this is our 4th year we’ve made turkey using spatchcocking method. We cooked a 19-lb bird and it saved us an hour or more. It also saved us from adding more heat in our kitchen. We’ll use the removed backbone and giblets for soup tomorrow. That is if our dog allows us.

Wow! I've tied the method with a large chicken...but I cannot figure out how to get even a smaller turkey into a pan that will fit into the oven.

Anyway, my turkey this year came out great. Since there were only three of us at dinner, though, it probably could have survived, if it hadn't been roasted.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2021 06:36 am
@jespah,
Like cock flavoured seasoning.

It exists if you want to Google it,
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2021 09:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Pizza? Delivered or home spatchcocked?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2021 03:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Delivered, I was being lazy.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2021 06:31 am
@izzythepush,
It's a great day for being lazy. In my case, one of many.

First time in a long time I didn't make Thanksgiving dinner. My sister in law bought a chicken and a small ham, both precooked and packaged sides.

Christmas will require my MiL's specialty for Christmas, sauerbraten.

So I'll do a mindless Thanksgiving meal: a fresh turkey, cranberries, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoe, creamed spinach.
0 Replies