Virtual Thanksgiving

jespah

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2020 06:19 pm
Welp, I just cancelled tickets to see my folks for Dia De La Turkey.

I imagine many of you have done similar. It ain't worth it to get sick, or get other people sick.

So it's time for a virtual holiday. Come and go as you please. Bring a dish if you like.

Anyone who talks politics is required to clean the dishes.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/assets.wholefoodsmarket.com/content/d6/a4/bf51ddfe42a58b7a2fd4a88bb851/turkey-mullen-nogarnish720._TTW_._CR0,56,1080,608_.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,098 • Replies: 24

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 08:01 am
Does anyone deep fry turkeys anymore?
jespah

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 08:05 am
@McGentrix,
I have never had a deep fried turkey. Is it good? I always worry about fire with something like that.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 09:05 am
@jespah,
I have never had a deep fried turkey as a dinner, but I have tasted it outside a Bass Pro Shop once and it was wonderful. The outside was crispy and inside was soft and juicy and cooked throughout.

I have always wanted to try it, but yeah, fire. Plus the stuff needed to do it for one meal a year is a luxury I cannot afford.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 09:16 am
@jespah,

How about astronautcized turkey?
jespah

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 10:01 am
@tsarstepan,
I didn't watch all of it, but man oh man she adds A LOT of salt.
jcboy

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 04:25 pm
@jespah,
This year I will make Oyster stuffing like my mom used to make, I don't care who likes it or not, it's my favorite Razz

Oyster Stuffing
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 04:33 pm
This will be our first Thanksgiving where we didn't cook a turkey in over 40 years of marriage. Going to eat with my daughter's family. If they serve green bean salad I will ignore it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 05:04 pm
@jcboy,
I love it, too. I also like sausage, tart apple and rice. Even made cornbread dressing once. It was meh.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 05:21 pm
Ooh the thread's been revived.

Making T day here this year. It'll just be the 2 of us, and it's a turkey that weighs nearly 17 lbs. Eh, it was the smallest one I could find that didn't cost the earth.

Mashed potatoes, various green veg, stuffing, and salad are all on the list. I've started making little hand pies in the air fryer so might do that for dessert.
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 05:35 pm
@jespah,
we are having a small herd of people and we are serving guinea hens insted of turkey. I start brining them on Tues
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 06:04 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
a turkey that weighs nearly 17 lbs
lookin' forward to the slow-cooked turkey soup too...
jcboy

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 08:57 am
@Region Philbis,
I always look forward to Turkey sandwich's the next day. Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 09:07 am
I love having leftover turkey meat. It makes great sandwiches and can be used the way I eat tuna.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 10:32 am
Gonna just be Nancy, her sister, and me. Nancy's other sister and her husband may make it, but they seem iffy. We are all vaccinated...including booster shots.

I always do the Thanksgiving cooking...MY FAVORITE MEAL OF THE YEAR.

Roast Turkey, giblet stuffing on the side, great turkey gravy w/healthy dose of sherry, mashed rutabaga (for Nancy). Nancy's sister will bring twice baked white potatoes in skins, baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows, maple syrup and nuts. Nancy will make coconut cream and chocolate cream pies and some cookies. I will have a huge slice of the coconut cream pie...and some eggnog with the cookies.

I usually do not make the green bean casserole, but for some reason, I have a hankering for it this year...so...

Hope everyone has a great, safe Thanksgiving.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 10:37 am
The only part of Thanksgiving we do is Black Friday, and even that's very recent.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 10:48 am
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday; expressing gratitude is a great tradition (even with a cynical teenager). This year I will be in upstate New York with family.

Right after Thanksgiving I will be heading to my Mexico home. As I am in the process of moving to Mexico and mixing cultures, Thanksgiving is one American tradition I will be keeping.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2023 01:53 pm
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2023 04:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
This made me hungry and envious except for the 'giblet stuffing' (ugh). Do NOT like innards! And of COURSE you have to add something to the gravy - sherry - yum. I know this post is 2 years old, but Thxgiving is coming up for you again, so... Ours has come and gone, but we didn't do any turkey Smile Just the two of us - we did a chicken. We only have turkey at Christmas.

BTW - Just discovered this hot tip about how to keep your brown sugar moist - you just add in one or two large marshmallows! No crumbling bread, no moldy apple slices, no dried out brown sugar bear - saw it on Youtube. Gotta love Youtube Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2023 05:30 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

This made me hungry and envious except for the 'giblet stuffing' (ugh). Do NOT like innards! And of COURSE you have to add something to the gravy - sherry - yum. I know this post is 2 years old, but Thxgiving is coming up for you again, so... Ours has come and gone, but we didn't do any turkey Smile Just the two of us - we did a chicken. We only have turkey at Christmas.

BTW - Just discovered this hot tip about how to keep your brown sugar moist - you just add in one or two large marshmallows! No crumbling bread, no moldy apple slices, no dried out brown sugar bear - saw it on Youtube. Gotta love Youtube Smile

Looking forward to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, Mame. Gonna do the same meal...including the green bean casserole. Never thought I would like that, but it has grown on me.
0 Replies