Now that it's almost over .... what did you get up to on your thanksgiving?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:01 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Now that's rye.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:03 pm
@saab,
Yes, typical a2k - some of us are ribald some of the time.

From a turkey's point of view, the cartoon was funny.

It's a sort of flip to my sadness for the turkeys in flight, which is somewhat genuine, re turkey lives. I've remembered it for years.

Euro's cartoon expressed turkey anger, albeit that they can't just do that.

(why am I explaining?)
saab

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for your explanation, but what does that have to do with Hitler and Co and thanksgiving.? I was referring to the big picture with Hitler and not the ones with the turkeys.
It is sickening to think you will read about a nice thanksgiving get together and then you have to stare at Hitler and Co.
But if you are a fan of him it might be different.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:19 pm
@saab,
I see you don't know me at all.

The table shown with all sorts of figures we recognize as very different at an ostensible dinner table is not just a joke (Rosie hugging Hitler?) but a play on what happens at some - many - family/friends dinner tables at some thanksgiving dinners in the U.S. That is, people in such gatherings differ.

Thanksgivings can be raucous.

saab

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:22 pm
@ossobuco,
You did not put that picture there - I would never have thought you would have. It was put there by the euro.
I certainly understood the ironi of the picture - but I still can´t stand to look at Hitler in this connection.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:26 pm
@saab,
Rosie, hugging him, is a well known lesbian and would have been dead back in Hitler's day, what with her loud mouth. Something for all of us to remember, as it was not all that long ago.

Being able to show scenarios - such as this table supplied by euro - is part of what being anti hitler was about.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, there is some internet code and I've managed to forget, where if a conversation can possibly include hitler, it will - it's a sarcastic take on the way threads go towards that, no matter what the subject.

But really, here, the Rosie and hitler thing seems an effort to portray how immense barriers can be at some thanksgiving dinners.
Picture the long drive home..
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:32 pm
@saab,
Nobody is a fan of Hitler, ridiculous.
It's captioned "Crappy Thanksgiving" with a room full
of people nobody would like to spend thanksgiving with.
It's quite simply humour, stop trying to make something more out of it.

Sad.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:42 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Wait, saab is listening.
Saab is sharp, I've yelled at her before years ago, and she at me, but we've gotten used to each other and these are differences to talk about.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso my dear, it's your thread and I apologise if I upset the apple cart on you.
I would never knowingly offend you dear lady.

I'm retiring for the night, good night Osso.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:53 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Euro, you brat.
It's not my thread, it's msOlga's.

You didn't offend me - just try it! You have not succeeded yet, which is quite something.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 11:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Can´t even remember you yelled at me years ago - good to have lousy memory.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 11:33 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
To put Hitler on the same level as my right winged uncle, whom I don´t want to have dinner with puts Hitler on a rather daily and low level. That makes his deeds seem less brutal.
I have seen much better ironic, sarcastic humour regarding Hitler and Co.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 12:59 pm
what did i get up to?

about 500 lbs Smile HA!

we had bbq ribs, beer, grilled corn, home made bread, biscuits, cheesecake, and pork roast.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 01:52 pm
I made the three things I know how to make: turkey, mashed potatoes, and sweet potato pie. (I can also make omelettes, but not for Thanksgiving). The turkey was moist and delish (brine, brine, brine), the mashers were a hit, and I'm the only one who ate my pie. My BIL came over with his girlfriend. The beer flowed like wine. Only able to watch a few minutes of football, before the TV was taken over for "family movie watching"!
Irishk

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 02:23 pm
@Ticomaya,
What was in your brine? Do you still have to baste, baste, baste? I'd have killed for a sous chef!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 07:24 pm
@Irishk,
I've found a remedy I haven't seen online re day old and dryish turkey - put it in water. I soaked mine and added s/p and this and that, like some chile pepper, and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Fine for sammiches. Desiccated turkey tastes much better watered.
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 09:48 pm
Good to find a few late straggler posts just now .... I hope there'll be a few more!

Note to self: I must read some of these A2K "brining" threads. I have no idea of what that means.

And I was wondering:

Quote:
what did i get up to?

about 500 lbs Smile HA!

Smile

Is the period between thanksgiving a boom time for weight loss advertisements in the media?

Is anyone still eating thanksgiving left-overs, almost 2 weeks after?

And I'm curious to know ... what are the most creative uses for thanksgiving left-overs? I imagine you'd get a little tired of turkey sandwiches, etc, after a couple of days & some ingenious transformations might be necessary?
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:13 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
What was in your brine? Do you still have to baste, baste, baste? I'd have killed for a sous chef!

My brine is just very salty water. A minimum 30 minute soak, but an hour or more is best. Oil the bird, 500 degrees for 30 minutes, then cover the breast with tin foil, drop the temperature to 350, and cook until the breast is 161 degrees. Very moist and delicious!

NO BASTING! BASTING IS EVIL!
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:14 pm
@msolga,
Ooops!
I meant to ask: Is anyone still eating thanksgiving left-overs, almost one weeks after?