Now that it's almost over .... what did you get up to on your thanksgiving?

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:15 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Is anyone still eating thanksgiving left-overs, almost 2 weeks after?

Yes ... stuffing, yams, and turkey-noodle soup for my dinner.

It's only been 5 days, Ms. Olga.
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:17 pm
@Ticomaya,
Yes I know, possum

See my post directly above yours.
I think I might have been having a senior moment in the post you quoted. Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:18 pm
@msolga,
I made muffins with the last of the homemade cranberry sauce this morning.

Tomorrow I'll be putting the last of the turkey soup in the freezer because we can't force ourselves to eat any more turkey anything for the near future.
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
mmmmm .... cranberry muffins!
I could easily cope with some of those! Smile

Quote:
Tomorrow I'll be putting the last of the turkey soup in the freezer because we can't force ourselves to eat any more turkey anything for the near future.

And I can fully appreciate your reasons for that, too, Butrflynet!
_
Irishk

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:48 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
NO BASTING! BASTING IS EVIL!

I basted every 20 minutes. Every. 20. minutes.

It was good, though.
Irishk

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I tried to have as few leftovers as possible. Still ended up with quite a bit. The sandwiches were great -- I'm about turkeyed out now, though. On to the Christmas feast! lol
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:52 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
turkey-noodle soup for my dinner

I have no idea of what that would taste like, compared to a chicken noodle soup .... (not big turkey consumers, in my neck of the woods. Not all that much turkey around in the food outlets...)

Good?

Irishk

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:02 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
(not big turkey consumers, in my neck of the woods. Not all that much turkey around in the food outlets...)

That might not be such a bad thing, MsOlga. (No hours of basting lol)
msolga

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:22 am
@Irishk,
I see your point, Irishk.

A small free range chicken, every now & then, seems such an easier proposition!
saab

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:27 am
I have no problems with Thanksgiving leftovers, but later with Christmas leftovers - ham and turkey. Usually freeze them and take them out now and then when I am not in the mood to go shopping in the cold months of Janury and February.
My favorite is:
Pyttipanna, is a hodgepodge of food similar to bubble and squeak. The term is Swedish/Norwegian for "small pieces in pan".

Traditionally consisting of potatoes preferable raw not boiled, onions, and any kind of meat or sausage, diced and then pan fried, it is often served with a fried egg, pickled diced beetroot.

The dish was originally made from leftovers of past meals but now it is far more common to prepare pyttipanna from prime ingredients. Frozen pyttipanna of many varieties can be bought in almost every Swedish, Norwegian or Finnish supermarket.
farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:37 am
@saab,
Oittipan is probably the ancestor of our "HAsh". HAsh is a similar mix of everything that we used to, in the early 20th century, have entire restaurants that served the stuff as a balanced breakfast and so became known as HAsh Houses. New York had the term associated with many restaurant's names.

Weve finished off the last pf the birds carcass. I made a very substantial soup (capon). My wife had developed a bouquet garni for adding to any soup base that turns iot into a world of subtle flavors. She made up one for my soup base and the result was loaded with he flavors of herbs and spices, like cloves. It just adds a presence that expands the worlds of flavor of the soup.

ALso noodles. I cpuld start a thread just on the various kinds of noodles that Ive seen in soups. We added what are known as AMish Wedding noodles which are big, long and thick.
Really a base of flavolr and texture.

Tonite were going out for sushi(Its a 30 mile ride but worth it)
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:53 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
have entire restaurants that served the stuff as a balanced breakfast and so became known as HAsh Houses

EXCUSE ME...but hash was served and loved all day long. We think of it as a breakfast food now only because on the rare occasion that we see it today it is normally served at breakfast.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 07:21 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

sweet potato pie.

family tv watching?? during a football game? thats a crime against humanity Smile
well.. we dont even have a tv connection so we are guilty too.

but the sweet potato pie comment made me think of something.
Sweet potato and acorn squash or butternut squash together make a really awesome, almost too sweet soup. Basically, cube them cover them with a little water and slow cook until mush. Throw in a dash of cumin ( 1/4 tsp) and about the same of cinnamon and voila.

In a pie....... its TREMENDOUS.
I would have never thought to make a sweet pie or any desert pie with squash but wow...wow. I think, per pie.. you use about 1/3 cup of the sweet squash mashed up an just mix it in. It is still very sweet but it gives it a softer flavor that... well I dont know if i can describe.. So if you are ever feeling adventurous.. its definitely a hit
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 07:26 am
@msolga,
I have to say with our non 'traditional' dinner.... i am missing the left over turkey stuff.
One of the things I enjoy is the turkey and miracle whip sandwich i get to have every day for a week. Love it love it love it.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 09:15 am
@msolga,
The good news is, it's only once a year! The bad news is, if you're not an experienced cook, it takes a week to get it all done lol. I shop on Monday, chop on Tuesday (that's when I'd kill for a sous chef), bake pies and make the dressing on Wednesday, then spend THE day basting, basting, basting lol. I'm getting better -- only one disaster this year (if you don't count the small kitchen fire) my dressing (stuffing to some people) came out dry -- crunchy almost lol. No one complained of course (they're all too polite lol) but it was truly awful. Last year it was great -- go figure. I made a new dessert (cranberry upside down cake) that was good (they said) and, of course, the turkey is always the star and it came out pretty good, too.

If it were just me and Mr.Irish, I'd probably do the chicken, though lol.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 09:40 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
I basted every 20 minutes. Every. 20. minutes.

Why put yourself through that misery? Next time follow my method (brine soak (= salt water bath for 1 hour), oil, 500 deg. (F) for 30 min., Tin Foil Turkey Triangle Breast-Plate, 350 deg. (F) until breast is 161 deg.), and I GUARANTEE an extremely moist turkey.

AND NO BASTING!
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 09:43 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
family tv watching?? during a football game? thats a crime against humanity Smile

Agreed!

Is an acorn squash the same thing as an acorn pumpkin?
Irishk

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:21 pm
@Ticomaya,
I'll try it. I'm up for anything that doesn't involve standing over a hot oven every 20 minutes. (Once we broke out the wine to sample, it got better lol), but that's also around the time the fire started.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:16 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
... but that's also around the time the fire started.

That sounds like a story.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:44 pm
Yes, VALIDATION, finally! Where are you from, Irish? When I was a kid last century growing up in Michigan, we always called it dressing, not stuffing. I always thought I was misremembering, since no one else I've ever talked to ever seemed to have called it anything but stuffing. Apparently I'm not alone.

Oh, and we want to hear about the fire.
0 Replies