Sun 23 Oct, 2011 07:15 am
I am moving into a room where there were two cats for a LONG time. Cat yack is on the floor, and you can smell the litter box still.

Im going to rent a steam cleaner from the grocery store because the one I have is not strong enough for this.

Besides using carpet soap, I may consider getting the pet odor remover.

Do those work?

What about using vinegar in the water? I have heard that helps get rid of bacteria.. but in carpet?

ehBeth

Sun 23 Oct, 2011 07:25 am
@shewolfnm,
Truthfully, I don't think there's any good way of getting old cat stink out other than replacing flooring - sometimes removing the carpet isn't enough.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 23 Oct, 2011 07:42 am
@shewolfnm,
I have a cat piss odour remover in a spray bottle that did a good job on my mattress.....but as beth says, if it's really got in there, you may need to get rid of the carpet and do your best to clean whatever is beneath.

Vinegar helps a lot, too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 23 Oct, 2011 07:44 am
@shewolfnm,
Oh...sounds as though you may be renting?

I'd absolutely soak it in an enzyme and other artillery piss spray.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Sun 23 Oct, 2011 08:00 am
@shewolfnm,
What is under the carpet? If it's wood can you make a deal to rip out the carpet and refinish the floor? Most pet odor products just use strong chemicals to mask the stink. You then have to live with a nasty chemical smell with the underlying scent of cat piss. I agree with ehBeth that a carpetsaturated with cat piss is impossible to clean. You will always smell it, especially on a hot day. Conclusion, try and ditch the carpet.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Sun 23 Oct, 2011 08:13 am
the cats never actually PEED on the carpet, but their litter box was on it. So any spilled crumbs just sat there. But they did spend almost all day there every day so hairballs, constant litter use..etc.

It does not smell TOO bad, and they were only there for a couple months so Im hoping it wont be too much of a task.

The carpet is your basic super short almost commercial looking carpet with padding underneath.
shreenmike

Sun 30 Oct, 2011 10:34 am
Changing the carpet is good thing and i can assure you that you will get done what you want
reese77

Tue 1 Nov, 2011 08:59 am
@shreenmike,
Oreck sales a pet odor remover that seems to work pretty good. You may try that
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 1 Nov, 2011 10:14 am
@shewolfnm,
Can you get the padding out? that usually seems to be where the nastiest stuff is fermenting.

(I didn't mention pee in my post - "just" cat stink - all of that collective stuff)
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:55 pm
@shewolfnm,
Have you cleaned it yet? How'd it go?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Tue 1 Nov, 2011 01:15 pm
I did get it cleaned, and I think the smell is completely gone.

2 days of boxes and boxes of baking soda just poured on to the carpet and left. Vacuumed that up then a hefty steam cleaner with only water and vinegar once over soaking the carpet and letting it sit for a little before sucking it back out.

A large fan and open window to dry the carpet out, then steam vac with very little oxy type cleaner. Did that 3 times, drying it in between.

I have not had cat stink yet so I think that worked...
dlowan

Tue 1 Nov, 2011 01:46 pm
@shewolfnm,
Oh Xena Warrior Princess, hail!
0 Replies

RaviAuto

Wed 2 Nov, 2011 01:40 am
@shewolfnm,
If you catch the spill when it's fresh, you've got a good chance of removing it totally. Consider these tips, too:

Carefully blot or scrape the entire area before applying any cleaning solution. Remove as much of the spill as possible.
Before using any cleaning solution, test your carpet in an inconspicuous area to make sure the cleaner won't damage or discolor it. Test the cleaning agents that you keep on hand before you have to use them to make sure they will not harm your carpet.
Do not rub the spill -- that might spread the problem to a larger area.
shewolfnm

Wed 2 Nov, 2011 05:59 am
@RaviAuto,
It wasnt a spill. It was months of cat pee and cat litter.

That horrible..never going away ammonia smell? Yeah. yuck
0 Replies

ClarenceP

Thu 24 Nov, 2011 11:07 pm
@shewolfnm,
There are many cleaning methods are in for the carpet.... Some of the chemical industry made the products to eliminate this problem.... Ask the experienced and no worry....!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 02:27 pm
I had to look and see how OLD this post was.

just the other day I opened my closet ( in this room ) and for one quick minute.. I got a slight sniff of cat pee.
I was ... furious..

Then i realized how long it has been and what I have done to that room and realized that, if i only catch small whiffs here and there, it was worth it.

lease is up in FEB.. I cant wait..
0 Replies

maximus321

Sat 21 Jan, 2012 02:39 am
@shewolfnm,
I think you should remove the carpet........
0 Replies

AndrewJayden

Sun 6 May, 2012 11:24 pm
@shewolfnm,
Carpets need to be vacuumed once a week and more often in areas of heavy traffic and Pay special attention to the areas where people sit and move their feet. Vacuum these areas of heavy traffic with a crisscross pattern of overlapping strokes.
alonzomerrill

Mon 28 May, 2012 01:00 am
@AndrewJayden,
I have read your carpet cleaning information and i will use this information to get cleaned carpet. I have liquid for cleaning carpet but it is not work some times and i want to use good quality brand which can clean my home carpet.
0 Replies

space007

Tue 5 Jun, 2012 03:17 am
@shewolfnm,
Wait for a big sunshine day to wask them off..