Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:30 pm
@Sturgis,
You ate the sweet licorice?

so where is the double salt licorice?

I've been waiting and waiting ...
Sturgis

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I alternated between seventeen varieties of delicious licorice so there's absolutely none left (and no reason for anyone to check my steamer trunk either). You see it was a very long hectic journey especially after the breakdown in Tucumcari a day the detour to Port Arthur (Texas) for the sake of the elderly couple who'd missed their plane from Tulsa.

I would swear to all the above being given true except I know it's wrong to swear in front of beautiful ladies.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:44 pm
@Sturgis,
Licorice thief!

Oh, wait, I'll give you all my sneers against Good and Plentys, thus the little boxes.
It is possible I'd like those now, but, too late the phalarope.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:47 pm
@Sturgis,
http://st.depositphotos.com/1636517/3917/i/950/depositphotos_39171321-Woman-rummaging-in-the-trunk.jpg

you know if he says not to look, that he thinks I think he's misdirecting me, so I won't look, so I will
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:52 pm
Uh oh...

Better high tail it out of this neighborhood before they realize I have the deed to the licorice shop...
dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 05:47 pm
@Sturgis,
I eschew licorice.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 11:36 am
@dlowan,
I chew licorice chews

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61m-qMPCrcL._SY355_.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:37 pm
I used to look forward to licorice, but then lost interest. I don't think I have had any for over ten years.
firefly

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 02:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
I never ate much of it, but since reading about the possibility it can increase blood pressure, quite some time ago, I've avoided it all together.

It can also affect potassium levels.
http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/11/how-black-licorice-can-make-your-heart-jump/

I can easily do without licorice. Now chocolate is another matter...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 02:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Time is funny. I hated, hated, the first Good and Plenty licorice I tried, at, say, age nine, and that was it forever as in never again. In the meantime, I did like those red licorice sticks, whatever their ingredients (plastic?); I have liked anise in food, have liked Sambuca, tried Pernod, a sip ok.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 09:35 am
looking forward to having a small piece of licorice sometime soon

now

if I could just find Sturgis

http://images.writeitsideways.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/woman_peeking_corner_s.jpg
firefly

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 10:03 am
@ehBeth,
The term "licorice stick" is an American slang term for the clarinet developed during the heyday of big band clarinet playing in the 1930's.
Quote:
Benny Goodman's Clarinet
Late in his career, jazz musician Benny Goodman favored a Parisian “licorice stick” as his instrument of choice
By Owen Edwards
Smithsonian Magazine
April 2009

In the hierarchy of musical instruments, the clarinet tends to get short shrift—at least compared with the violin, cello or piano. But the inauguration of Barack Obama raised the instrument's profile when Anthony McGill, principal clarinetist of the Metropolitan Opera orchestra, performed with cellist Yo-Yo Ma, violinist Itzhak Perlman and pianist Gabriela Montero before a global television audience estimated at a billion viewers. (The fact that cold weather forced the musicians to finger-sync to their own recording hardly diminished the clarinet's star turn.)

The clarinet's other notable high notes include 1771, when Mozart composed the first of his clarinet works, a divertimento, and 1920, when 11-year-old Beno Goodman first picked up the instrument in a Chicago tenement. Beno, the ninth of 12 children born to Russian-immigrant parents, would of course become Benny Goodman, and would perform some of the greatest music of the big-band or any other era.

One of Goodman's clarinets now resides within the collections of the Smithsonian National Museum of American History (NMAH), where Jazz Appreciation Month is celebrated each April and where Goodman's centenary year—he was born May 30, 1909—will be enthusiastically observed next month. In the hands of a man who was equally at home in jazz and classical music, the clarinet was—to use its affectionate nickname—one sweet licorice stick...

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/benny-goodmans-clarinet-60074919/#PxIcex1keTSg8yWl.99

margo

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 12:09 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

looking forward to having a small piece of licorice sometime soon

One small bag on board - but not for you, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 12:43 pm
@firefly,
I played licorice stick years ago.

Someday I'll tell the story of a very special licorice stick I was able to play once. Briefly.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 04:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Why wait when you can relate the tale now? Just open a new thread for it and enjoy the huge response (nobody can resist discussing licorice)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 12:47 pm
@Sturgis,
I'd rather stay right here with you, you sweet little monster.

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-hug-the-monster.png
vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 12:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Wow - so cute! Laughing
Sturgis

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 02:56 pm
@vonny,
There was a time when the cactus juice would be chilling in the afternoon sun behind a row of melting snowforts...

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 03:15 pm
@Sturgis,
That's global warming fer ye.
farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 03:42 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I jut got bit by a fuckin earwig . Will its bite kill me?