NEW ART PROJECTS GOIN ON?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 07:26 pm
Portal, I am guessing you might have some version of whadayacallit, tendonitis. You know when you see cashiers and typists with wrist enfolding bandages? Related to tennis elbow, has to do with inflammation from strain...

JL, so you're doing it? Good boy, though I know it involves time consuming recovery time.

I have osteo in my hands too, and sometimes take MGC, but I hate those giant pills, not to mention the money, so I really haven't tested it out. I need to buy more in smaller pill form. My rheumatologist (I picked a rheumatologist for my main doc at the new place up here, since I worked in rheumatology labs for a long time and feel comfortable with them) said, hmmmm. He said that the glucosamine chondritin pills worked for some, about 10% in the papers he's reviewed, similar to his own experience in practice. (Oh, for a simple thing to stop the process...).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 08:16 pm
truth
Osso, regarding Portal Star, are you referring to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? I wish you hadn't told me about the 10% rate; there goes my placebo effect. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 09:45 pm
Yes, that's the word(s) I was trying to remember... but carpal tunnel is, if I remember correctly, just one overuse/strain phenomenon.

I think it is prob more than 10% myself, re the glucosamine, etc., just look at you two... but maybe not that much more. I haven't looked up studies myself. Too busy staring at my right thumb.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:08 am
thanks JLN for that info - i have taken glucosamine with chondroitin in the past and i think it helped - but i haven't had any for ages - think I'll get myself off to the health food shop and take your advice

Naproxen helps a lot but I don't like to take it too much as it can have nasty side effects when taken regularly

I will get back to you on your work (which i liked a lot! - promise!)

I had Carpal Tunnel as well Crying or Very sad which caused agonising pain in my hand and up my arm but it was operated on and totally cured Very Happy so if you have this Portal don't worry, first step is a steroid injection which works like magic, you only need the op if it persists. If it is early arthritis - don't push it as the damage builds and you'll live to regret it.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 11:01 am
That's an impressive "injury" JL.....I hope you wear
it like a badge of honour.....
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 11:56 am
Hmm.. Okay. I'll see how they fare this next semester. I also heard I shouldn't crack my knuckles, it weakens the tendons in old age. People are so indecisive.
I guess I shouldn't be complaining about my hands. You old timers have been using them for years! :wink:

It would be interesting to see a picture of everyone's hands. Hands are so interesting.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 12:22 pm
As an artist, I've always had problems with my right hand and arm. Many years ago, at 25 years old, I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right shoulder. I pooh-poohed that off and stayed on the drawing board, never doing anything about it. When I first started working on the computer 8 hrs/5 days a week, I developed what we assumed to be carpal tunnel syndrom. The pain in my right hand , arm, up to my shoulder, would wake me up at night. I never did anything about it and after awhile, the pain seemed to go away. Now, ten years later, I get a numbness in my right hand and arm after working extensively, several hours a day for several days straight and I know I should have it checked out but shoot, I can't take the time away from my projects and in all honesty, I'm afraid of what some doctor may tell me at this point.
I'll probably regret this messing around about it later on.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 01:53 pm
eoe it does sound a bit like carpal tunnel - anti inflammatories might help
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:04 pm
Thanks!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 06:52 pm
truth
Oeo, it DOES seem like carpal tunnel syndrome. My neighbor had it bad in both hands, after surgery by a good orthopedic surgeon, he's completely recovered. A small slit (virtually no scar) relieving inflamatory pressure on the wrist nurve, and, voila, he's well. Sounds like Vivien's sucess story. The trouble with Naproxen and other NSAIDS is the terrible effect on the stomach. I like to eat garlic, ginger (mainly the crystalized form) and tumeric as often as possible. They help to reduce inflamation, but they do thin the blood, and shouldn't be taken weeks before any kind of surgery.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 06:56 pm
Hey JL, haven't you referred to me as oeo before? Seems familiar. Are you deliberately twisting it around? Shades of Oz... Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:16 pm
truth
EOE, No, it's not on purpose. I'd take the alias of "Dyslexia," but it's already taken.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:08 am
I have a question . I read an article about Water Soluble Oil Paint. has anyone tried this medium yet? im using tempera now and have gotten to like its oil like character . I never liked acrylics because they make the world look so flat, and they are too grainy for me.
I suppose water soluble oils are an emulsified oil pigment mixed with detergents so they disperse in water.
(Thats my guess,however I have no ideas what Im talking about)
Anybody use this stuff yet? any thoughts on its feel?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:26 am
I haven't tried them FM....mainly because I have
so many oil paints that I would mix them all up.

I buy the best oil paint....that's Old Holland...This is in the hopes that it will make my work look better....Theoretical I know...like getting a great ski outfit will make me a skiier!
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:58 am
FM, I've tried Winsor&Newton water soluable oils and I'm not sure that I like them. The clean up is much easier, but I'm having trouble with the fluidity. The paint doesn't seem to move as much as regular oil paint. Maybe it's just me. SP I feel the same way about my new golf hat and glove.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:25 am
I paint a lot, and use the cheapest materials available. One of these days when collectors bid up my prices, I'll switch to the best and most expensive stuff ... and get that nifty studio easel I've wanted. My my gesso and turps are bought by the gallon. I use masonite panels allot, and have stopped worrying about "tempered" v. "untempered" (just gesso the dickens out of them and accept that they may not remain pristine for 300 years). How good a good painter I am is for others to judge. I post images to the A2K gallery pretty often, unlike most of artists who visit here.

Mostly I use only oil paint, having tried acrylics and hated them. There were a few left-over tubes of acrylic that got mixed in with my oils and disaster followed. Angerly threw all the acrylics in the trash anymore. I'm afraid of the water soluble pigments for the same reasons I won't let acrylics into the studio. Some members of the Rio Grande Art Association like the water soluables a lot.

I have good watercolors and pastels, but don't use them much. Here in New Mexico there are a zillion water-colorist and pastel artists who are so technically accomplished that I just can not compete with them. Some folks, like the humble bumblebee, prefer my drawings. One of my pencils drawings was knocked down for $480 a few years ago in Arizona ... best price ever for one of my drawing.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 12:07 pm
Farmer -friends who have tried the water soluble oils didn't like them and found them sort of weak without enough body. I haven't tried them myself.

I often use the quick drying Alkyd oils from Winsor and Newton when i am out sketching - they are oils mixed with alkyd quick drying medium - i like them a lot

... but yes Shepaints - Old Holland are luscious and have some wonderful colours in their range.

I use artists colours more and more in oils as they really are better and actually go a long way as they are so rich. They are worth buying, even if you only treat yourself to the odd luscious colour.

I underpaint in acrylic often for either oils or pastels but very very rarely complete a painting purely in acrylics. My studio paintings are build up in many layers of paint, starting quite thin.

jln - yes Naproxen is very bad for you so I don't take it often. I haven't got to the Health Food Shop yet but the chondroitin mix you recommend but intend to. That was the op I had on my wrists - the scars don't show at all it was amazing.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:57 pm
Asherman, there is a show in Toronto at present, by a watercolour artist who has done
close up paintings of tree trunks....unbelievably
life-like and detailed bark and lichen....Not my taste exactly but one cannot but admire his virtuosity....

I may do a portrait of someone with several horses.....Trying to figure out the $$$$$ per portrait ....that's both human and horse.....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:20 pm
At a business meeting all day , just sat there thinking of not being there. Thanks for all the input on the Water sol oils. Since Im away from oils for years(since I took my BFA) I hadnt tried any , mostly cause they take for ever to dry.
But, more than slow drying, the thing I hate most is insipididididty. I suspect I would get bummed out with weak colors
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:22 pm
Farmerman, you might look at http://www.gamblincolors.com/
Gamblin discusses oil colors at length....
http://www.gamblincolors.com/howtp.html - on this page, check under "palettes"
0 Replies