Poll: Can Gays & Lesbians alter their sexual orientation?

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:18 am
White Evangelicals Stun World With Beautiful Open-Mindedness
Mark Morford

The public is evenly divided on whether gays and lesbians can alter their sexual orientation, with white evangelicals the most likely to think homosexuals can change, a new poll found. A majority of Americans, 55 percent, say they feel that homosexuality is a sin, while 33 percent do not.

Nine in 10 highly committed white evangelicals and nearly three-quarters of black Protestants say homosexual behavior is sinful, whereas 10 out of 10, or fully 100 percent of people who can't help but see most all white evangelicals as staggeringly sad imbecilic homophobic dust-bunnies on the giant Tibetan rug of time, and who have no freaking idea what the hell love and sex and divine energy are all about, and all 100 percent wonder why the hell anyone asks evangelicals anything at all in the first place, as if you're going to get an interesting or otherwise subtle answer.

"Gay peoples are sodomized by Satan and reek of the demon seed and have souls dripping with the hot lava hellfire avarice and guilty phlegm!" screeched a white evangelical preacher from somewhere very flat and very white and very corn-fielded and very overall brownish-gray and very uncertain of why the hell anyone cares what it thinks about anything.

"I masturbate to Kylie Minogue videos and drink bathtub gin out of a rusty measuring cup and love the smell of Polo by Ralph Lauren on my penis!" he raged on. "Holy crap, did I just say that out loud?"

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2003/11/18/national1013EST0524.DTL&nl=fix
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,140 • Replies: 120
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 07:42 pm
no, but I suppose they could live a lie. Why bother?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 12:53 am
Agree with littlek.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 10:53 pm
truth
The answer I prefer to this question is "Can you?"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:01 pm
or,

"Why?"
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:28 pm
truth
Years ago I learned that my problem was not the presence of spiders in this world; it was my arachniphobia. With this realization the fear and repulsion subsided. Homophobes need to learn this about homosexuals.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:05 am
I've heard something along the lines of your sexual personality (including orientation, fetishes, whatever) is determined by the kind of environment you live in up to the age of 7. I can't remember where I found that though, so it could very well be wrong. In any case, even if sexuality is cultural rather than (or as well as) biological, I wouldn't expect that it could be changed.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:36 am
I'm sure that gays and lesbians can alter their sexual orientations.

I mean, after doing it from one angle for a while, you might want to try it from a different angle. An imaginative couple can change their orientations multiple times over the course of an evening.

It's all good.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:42 am
Who the hell really cares? The fact that crap like this is still being discussed is proof that our world is indeed a declining empire. I know Mark Morford is being oozingly sarcastic, btw.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:49 am
Great answers so far -- and I can't do better. So I will ask to be identified with the responses already given.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:57 am
Why would they want to alter their sexual orientation?

When will we get to the point reached by other civiizations in which a) it doesn't matter, and b) it's considered a positive benefit for people to experience bisexuality?

Might be worthwhile exploring -- coming to some understanding of -- why our society is so hell-bent on particular kinds of labels.

JL Nobody makes a great point.

Perhaps Americans are more scared than other people. We see evil/danger everywhere, from other countries, from those who are different from ourselves in any way.

Up with spiders!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:15 am
There's also the whole aspect of whether sexual orientations are these little iron boxes, yes/ no, either/ or. There's the kinsey scale, 0-6? with completely straight at one end and completely gay at the other. There are a lot of 2-3-4-5's out there.

I learned the phrase "lesbian until graduation" (LUG) from patiodog, have seen it myself often... girls who have maybe been abused, maybe had a difficult relationship with their father and dislike men, maybe are discovering feminism, maybe are rebelling against suburban upbringings, whatever, who "decide" that they are lesbian, and have big intense lesbian relationships for... a while. Then later they get married to a guy and have a couple of kids.

But as others have said, who really cares? They'll change, or they won't, and it's unspeakably cruel to force the 0's or 6's into anything, or to force ANYONE into anything.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:40 pm
I'm wiling to bend over backwards to help! Wink
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 01:02 pm
Sozobe -- I'm also fascinated (now that I've lived on this planet long enough) to have friends who were hetero retire into a homosexual relationship and the reverse. That's what convinces me that people can be perfectly normal and swing both ways. What's not so normal is our little phobia about these relationships. How many people in this discussion, for example, would strive to convince us that they are "completely straight"?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 01:45 pm
hobitbob wrote:
I'm wiling to bend over backwards to help! Wink

Backwards???

Perhaps that is the wrong direction.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 01:48 pm
Tartarin wrote:
Sozobe -- I'm also fascinated (now that I've lived on this planet long enough) to have friends who were hetero retire into a homosexual relationship and the reverse. That's what convinces me that people can be perfectly normal and swing both ways. What's not so normal is our little phobia about these relationships. How many people in this discussion, for example, would strive to convince us that they are "completely straight"?

Keep in mind what Sozobe wrote earlier about the 0 - 6.

Some people may indeed be "completely straight."

Some people may indeed be "completely gay."

Some people may be 2's, 3's, 4's, or 5's.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 01:57 pm
I have tried a variety of sexual orientations, some give me claustrophobia, some give me a concern that afterwards i might snore and some give me a stiff neck.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 01:57 pm
As a matter of fact, if my memory serves me correctly, Kinsey stated that only a minority of us are at the extremes. He did state, however, that many of us are in denial. In many cases,he found that people had sexual feelings which they did not identify as such.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 02:12 pm
Which is why, Frank, I rally for a recognition of bisexuality and an easing of the strict categories which are, in fact, a figment of our imagination... and culture.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 02:40 pm
Tartarin wrote:
Which is why, Frank, I rally for a recognition of bisexuality and an easing of the strict categories which are, in fact, a figment of our imagination... and culture.

Sounds A-OK with me, Tartarin.

Might not matter to me at all.

I really would have a difficult time getting it on with another guy.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen -- but I truly have difficulty even imagining it.

Perhaps if it happened in a situation that started as a group sex thing -- it might come off -- but my everlovin', Nancy, is unlikely to okay a group sex adventure. Although we are not married, we've lived together for over 20 years and are monogomous. (It was tough for me in the beginning, because after my divorce, I was rather promiscuous. Among my many jobs, I have managed and tended bar in several go-go joints -- and the action was excellent.)
0 Replies