Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 11:13 am
@Doorsopen,
Doorsopen wrote:

Everything which exists, or ever will exist, or ever has existed can be said to co-exist and has emerged from a field of potentiality of which these events form a part. As any event emerges from this field, it negates the potential for another dissimilar event from emerging at that same space and time. I'm describing this non-occurring event as 'non-existence'.

Its qualities could be measured, I suppose, by negation. If event x occurs as 78 degrees, the non-occurring event did not take place in a range of temperature with a range that does not include 78 degrees.

I'm sorry if I appear to be presumptuous, not my intention. I enjoy putting ideas out there to better understand where a possible answer may lay. It strikes me that science is obliged to build upon its own foundations, but philosophy may cast aside preconceived body of knowledge to consider an alternate potential.

Actually, it is a bit presumptuous to suggest that you can give a definite description of what can and cannot be included in the REALITY of existence, D.

If you are saying that it is your opinion (or guess) that these qualities MUST exist...that is fine. We all can have opinions and we all can make guesses.

But to state them the way you just did is...as I said in my opening comment...presumptuous.

If you actually were offering a tautology...If x exists (whether we humans know it or not) then it exists....and Non-x cannot be...IF x exists (using the language available to us)...I certainly did not see it as such.

If you were, though, the question then would become: Is non-x (in that example) an instance of nothingness?

0 Replies

MWal

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 11:46 am
Nothing exist here In this thread as a premise, but there won't be a conclusion. We can't say nothing doesn't exist, because then it exist to our vocabulary. And if we do nothing, there will be nothing. So our only conclusion is to love one another and carry on to forever.
north

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 06:43 pm
@MWal,

What ability does nothing able to exist ?
mark noble

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2014 03:09 pm
@Doorsopen,
I applied 'presumption' to my ideas, not yours.
So - If there is a clock on a wall - Everything that is not located where the clock is, is non-existent?
MWal

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2014 03:34 pm
@north,
What?
0 Replies

Doorsopen

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 01:27 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

I applied 'presumption' to my ideas, not yours.
So - If there is a clock on a wall - Everything that is not located where the clock is, is non-existent?

Oh my, that would be absurd. I see how you arrive at that conclusion, so thank you for an opportunity to refocus my comments. We can say that there is the infinite potential for variants of that specific clock which is hanging on the wall. Why this specific clock and not an infinite variety of clocks hanging on the wall? Can an infinite number of clocks hang at the same location on the same wall? It seems not. So:

Although there is an infinite potential for the existence of clock variants, the existence of one specific clock at that specific location limits that potential. An infinite number of clocks may exists elsewhere, but not here at the location in our example. That negated potential is non-existence.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 01:35 pm
@Doorsopen,
You,
Quote:
Can an infinite number of clocks hang at the same location on the same wall?

Maybe not 'infinite number,' but many train stations, businesses, and hotels have several clocks that show major cities around the world or country.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 12:31 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

As simple as that.........DOES NOTHING EXIST???

In your opinion - does nothing exist, has it ever existed, can it ever exist?

Just tell it as you see it! All are welcome to throw it out there.

Thank you guys.
Mark...

Physical objects, pain and our five senses exist, thoughts, ideas, beliefs,and all other illusions, do not exist.

"You want people walking away from the conversation with some kernel of wisdom or some kind of impact." Henry Dean Stanton

“What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

SH

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 10:21 am
@mark noble,
No, there is no such thing as nothing it is an abstract concept of human origin
JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 09:11 pm
I guess the notion of "nothing" is more abstract than that of "something." But that does not save the latter from being no more than a construct. Things are what we "thingers" make of the world--as Fresco has taught us. And, of course "things" do not exist as static objects that have the ontological nature of being; they are processes consisting of all kinds of underlyling processes (by molecules, atoms, neutrinos, quarks, etc. etc. all of which are constructions as well) that are becoming something else.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2015 08:06 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I guess the notion of "nothing" is more abstract than that of "something." But that does not save the latter from being no more than a construct. Things are what we "thingers" make of the world--as Fresco has taught us. And, of course "things" do not exist as static objects that have the ontological nature of being; they are processes consisting of all kinds of underlyling processes (by molecules, atoms, neutrinos, quarks, etc. etc. all of which are constructions as well) that are becoming something else.

"As Fresco has taught us"??????

C'mon, JL!

If you want to think that Fresco's blind guess that "things are what we 'thingers' make of the world"...do so. But it is an absurdity to suppose that because Fresco has proclaimed it...it is so.

In any case, at best, Fresco has suggested that what we humans have to say about "things" are inadequate to express what the REALITY is.

You and Fresco seem utterly incapable of differentiating between the REALITY...and human conceptions of that reality.

Given that defect...he should not be "proclaiming" the true nature of REALITY...and you should not be buying into it as naively as you are.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2015 02:01 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

We can't say nothing doesn't exist, because it exists in our vocabulary.

Nothing also exists in the dictionary, Google search, and as an opposite to something.

“You want people walking away from the conversation with some kernel of wisdom or some kind of impact.” Henry Dean Stanton

0 Replies

argome321

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 01:29 pm
@mark noble,
Does space count? Space is a noun is it not?
mark noble

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 01:08 pm
@Doorsopen,
How 'absurd'.
Have you ever considered what you just stated?
No.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 01:14 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Do you have the ability to think for yourself?
Or do you, SIMPLY, ACCEPT QUOTES AS FACT?
I Guess 'necessity' is the mother of invention.....eh?
ffs!
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 01:15 pm
@SH,
Sort of:)
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 01:21 pm
@JLNobody,
Not allowed, by fuckwad-system, to respond with "Sort of" twice.
So 'Sort of' and **** you "SYSTEM".
Seriously?
Gentel, You fkn slave!
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 01:22 pm
@argome321,
No.
argome321

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 02:07 pm
@mark noble,
my question "Does space count" was my way of being sarcastic. To say nothing is a noun,how does one define nothing is a person, place or thing? Smile
layman

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 06:07 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
To say nothing is a noun,how does one define nothing is a person, place or thing? Smile

nothing = no thing

So it aint no thang, eh?

But, ya know, I was at a place once and it was indeed nothing. It was called "New York" (just for you, Arg).

http://able2know.org/topic/268090-1#post-5892446