Ogallala aquifer drying up.

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 02:27 pm
Want to have an anxiety attack? Think about this. This should put things in perspective for us.

Ogallala aquifer

http://theparagraph.com/wp-content/articles/post109/us_uncon-semi.gif

The Ogallala aquifer is located under the Great Plains, covering parts of eight states including: Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and South Dakota. This area is considered the breadbasket of America and produces most of the agricultural bounty our country depends on for food and exports. According to an article in Scientific American, more than 90% of the water pumped out of the aquifer is used to irrigate crops, supporting $20 billion of food and fiber production. It supports almost one-fifth of US production of wheat, corn, cotton, and cattle.

The problem? The Ogallala will run out of water, and at the rate we’re going, soon. Scientists have estimated that it would take 6,000 years for the aquifer to naturally replenish itself, but we are taking water at much faster rates. Within the boundaries of the North Plains Groundwater Conservation District, the water level is dropping at 1.74 feet per year.

http://sustainbydesign.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/drying-up-the-ogallala-aquifer/

Hasn't anybody explained the importance of the economy to mother nature? Laughing

You heard it from me first.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 8,773 • Replies: 42

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:17 pm
@Amigo,
This has been a known issue for about 50 years but always has been deferred for concern. The waters "Age" as determined by chemical fingerprinting is getting older and older. The USGS and the various state water boards know all about the Ogallala and the Edwards being dewatered. Many of the cities that overlie these two aquifers are sinking as the sands compress from dewatering. We have plenty of water its just gonna be a bitch diverting it.
Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:21 pm
@farmerman,
Do you know of any other apocalyptic environmental thing I can harass people with?
Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:24 pm
Faultlines? Valcanos? Weather patterns?Maybe a combo?

Work with me.

Pemerson

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:25 pm
@Amigo,
Hope not. Thanks, FM
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

We have plenty of water its just gonna be a bitch diverting it.

You lost me with that last sentence, fm.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:27 pm
@Amigo,
the fault-line under the Mississippi is overdue...
Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:34 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

Hope not. Thanks, FM
FM comforts us/himself with optimism. I doesn't necessarily mean anything. Many things are going on scientist can not keep up with.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

the fault-line under the Mississippi is overdue...
Aren't they all due? Maybe thell all give at once and all the prisoners in all the penitentiaries will bust out and the pumps will run dry and it will stop raining except for extreme downpours that cause flash floods and dam failure and law breaks down and good people go savage or get killed by escaped prisoners and nuclear power plants melt down and then China attacks and arms Mexican gangs and white militias start shooting full auto weapons in all directions and then well all start an exodus to Canada half crazed and psychotic thirsty, starving and hopped up on meth.

Thats what the experts are saying anyways.

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:50 pm
@Amigo,
my money's on the asteroid.

the aquifer thing pisses me off. we don't discuss it much here.

damn corn...
Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

This has been a known issue for about 50 years but always has been deferred for concern. The waters "Age" as determined by chemical fingerprinting is getting older and older. The USGS and the various state water boards know all about the Ogallala and the Edwards being dewatered. Many of the cities that overlie these two aquifers are sinking as the sands compress from dewatering. We have plenty of water its just gonna be a bitch diverting it.

Diverting it from where? Has this diverting technology been put into constrution? Is there a plan? That you know of that is, I am not challaging you. I'm just wondering if you know anything off hand I don't.

How long do we have before wells run dry?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:57 pm
@Rockhead,
astroids don't scare people.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:58 pm
That the Ogallala aquifer is drying up was mentioned in a program on water on PBS several years ago.
Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:59 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

That the Ogallala aquifer is drying up was mentioned in a program on water on PBS several years ago.
I just say that. It was a good program. Lots of interesting science.

I think our generation will be Ok.
Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:32 pm
@Amigo,
Amigo wrote:

plainoldme wrote:

I just say that. It was a good program. Lots of interesting science.

I think our generation will be Ok.
Correction: I just seen that.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:34 pm
@Amigo,
that's cuz they made a video game of it.

nobody is afraid of ms pacman, either...
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:58 am
@Amigo,
A PLAN, Nobody has a plan amigo.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:08 am
They're overdrawing the San Joaguin too, and that's really "the breadbasket of America"--well, maybe not "breadbasket" because I don't think they grow much wheat there, but the "everything-but-bread-basket" of America.
Amigo

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:37 am
@Philis,
Philis wrote:

A PLAN, Nobody has a plan amigo.
Heres the plan

http://www.huliq.com/39657/canada-creates-worlds-biggest-water-reserve

There will be plenty of water......for somebody.

But yes I see what you are saying, theres no plan.
Amigo

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:50 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

They're overdrawing the San Joaguin too, and that's really "the breadbasket of America"--well, maybe not "breadbasket" because I don't think they grow much wheat there, but the "everything-but-bread-basket" of America.
My guess is they are overdrawing everywhere and what scientist don't know about this problem is much bigger then what they do know. They don't know whats going to happen. Every other year they tell to eat butter instead of margarine or margarine instead of butter. They can't cure cancer because they probably caused cancer unintentionally.
0 Replies