NO FLY ZONE . . . IN ENGLAND ! ! !

Ionus

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
I would hazard a guess that everyone thought it would be over in a couple of days, but you dont have to know much about volcanos to know that was wishful thinking of the best possible outcome.
Ionus

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:52 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
the earlier comment about how close to the erupting volcano an aircraft passes is meaningless.
In correct. The further you are downwind the more dispersed it is, not only horizontally but also vertically. This is why test flights have not crashed with engines out.
The flight that had engines out had just crossed a mountain range and could not safely return. They also did not know what the problem was, they thought it was St Elmo's fire that they could see, but it was dust abrassing the aircraft. They were in the Pacific and a long way from available emergency landing sites. They were flying at night time and couldnt see any cloud.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:56 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The armchair leaders here who criticize will never be obliged to face the public for having made what appears in hindsight to be a foolish decision.
And you will never be held accountable for the economic damage done by your position. I however, am used to making decisions with aircraft safety..are you ?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:01 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I would hazard a guess that everyone thought it would be over in a couple of days, but you dont have to know much about volcano's to know that was wishful thinking of the best possible outcome.
Obviously the phone numbers for volcano experts were unobtainable.....
spendius

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:31 am
@hawkeye10,
What is hoped for is a southerly airflow at 15-20 thousand feet. Preferably above 30 mph.
spendius

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:35 am
@spendius,
They are saying that the extensive eruption in Iceland in the 1820s resulted in the Mississippi freezing over.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:45 am
i think it's wonderful that we believe ourselves to achieved some pinnacle of modern civilization

only to have something that was not only here long before we appeared on the scene, but has remained virtually unchanged in all that time (short of some eruption remodeling), take at a look at our technological wonders and stick it's ashy finger up at it (feel free to insert appropriate hand gesture for your geographical region)

go earth, you'll get rid of us yet
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:02 am
@djjd62,
Im making some stone tools as we speak. I doubt if 2% of the 1st world's people could exist in a survivalist mode.

We can hope that the eruption gradually turns into to a more typical basaltic one where lava burbles up rather than all this pyroclastic ****.
Ionus

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:08 am
@djjd62,
Just exactly who's side are you on ? Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:11 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
pyroclastic ****.

He means ash. He loves big words does fm. He thinks of them in the same way as he does the creases in his pants and his polished toe-caps.

I ran my finger along a car the other day and it is a fine black ash. It made me a bit mystical thinking it had come from the earth's mantle. I suppose the earth must turn itself inside out over Darwinian time scales.
McTag

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:42 am

There are some wonderful stories on our News (TV) about the lengths some families and individuals have had to go to, and the means employed,and the routes followed, and the costs involved, to get home.

Amazing.

And it's not over yet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:43 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I ran my finger along a car the other day and it is a fine black ash. It made me a bit mystical thinking it had come from the earth's mantle. I suppose the earth must turn itself inside out over Darwinian time scales.

So there was actual ash on the underside of the car close to the gutter in which you were lying.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:57 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

**** - he's married?? There go all my daydreams.

He's a grandpa too, Mame! Wink
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:57 am
Spectacular photos!!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/more_from_eyjafjallajokull.html
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:22 pm

Willie Walsh, chief executive of British Airways and a former pilot, believes the authorities have been much too cautious in their handling of this event.

Anyway, we're opening up British airports from 10:00 tonight, in about forty minutes' time.
Francis

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:24 pm
Looks like I can fly to the States, (just by 24 hours)..
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:44 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
believes the authorities have been much too cautious in their handling of this event
reckless in their neglect of the well being of the collective is what they were.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:43 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Anyway, we're opening up British airports from 10:00 tonight, in about forty minutes' time.

Aw!! I've been enjoying watching the sophisticated international travellers aching to get back to our green and pleasant land.
Ionus

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:20 pm
@spendius,
I think most of those here do not want an alternate point of view, Spendy...I quite enjoy your posts as they challenge established beliefs but too many here are old and lazy..they dont want to think...they dont want to look at the world differently...they are happy to go gently into the night with dementia first and they dislike you for making them uncomfortable.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:23 pm
@Ionus,
why dont you and spendi just get a room and tea bag each other.